Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
I know that nobody knows for sure and all but why is the battery in the new MacBook only providing 9-10 hours of battery?

While watching the keynote, I was sure the battery life was going to crazy when they said it only uses 5watts. I mean I know that there's that nice retina display to power but still....

If you look at the rMBP, it has a a bigger, more power consuming screen (from what they said in the keynote), it uses like 20-something watts...sure there is more space for the in the rMBP casing but...

If we also think of the iPad Air 2 which is much thinner, it has about the same battery life...

Am I the only one that finds it little strange?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The rMBP's battery is a lot bigger which provides good battery life but also makes the machine thicker and heavier. The MBA doesn't have a power-hungry retina display to deal with.

I would call the rMB's battery life pretty good for a first-gen product which is thin/light and has a power-hungry retina display.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
The rMB Has a 39.7wH battery, whereas the rMBP(13) has a much larger, 63.5wH battery. The difference between the CPU wattages of those two machines is a smaller difference than the difference in battery capacities. The small form-factor of the rMB necessitated a smaller battery, even than the MBA line. The new rMB's battery is only slightly larger than the battery in the MBA(11) - 39.7wH vs. 38wH - and yet the rMB is rated the same as that MBA for battery life, despite it having a retina display. Pretty remarkable, actually.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
The rMB Has a 39.7wH battery, whereas the rMBP(13) has a much larger, 63.5wH battery. The difference between the CPU wattages of those two machines is a smaller difference than the difference in battery capacities. The small form-factor of the rMB necessitated a smaller battery, even than the MBA line. The new rMB's battery is only slightly larger than the battery in the MBA(11) - 39.7wH vs. 38wH - and yet the rMB is rated the same as that MBA for battery life, despite it having a retina display. Pretty remarkable, actually.

True...I forgot that the 11inch had the same battery life..it is pretty remarkable

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010

Agreed! I'm very happy with the battery life. Much better than my 11" 2010 MBA.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I know that nobody knows for sure and all but why is the battery in the new MacBook only providing 9-10 hours of battery?

While watching the keynote, I was sure the battery life was going to crazy when they said it only uses 5watts. I mean I know that there's that nice retina display to power but still....

If you look at the rMBP, it has a a bigger, more power consuming screen (from what they said in the keynote), it uses like 20-something watts...sure there is more space for the in the rMBP casing but...

If we also think of the iPad Air 2 which is much thinner, it has about the same battery life...

Take apart the iPad 2 and the majority of it is a battery. Also, as I have stated so many times the operating systems of a tablet are not the same as a desktop. A desktop operating system takes more power and processing than a simple minded tablet operating system.

Apple and oranges.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011

The 2015 rmbp has a 74.9 watt hour battery according to Apple's website.
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

That is just 5 watts shy of being twice the size of the battery in the rmb.

Essentially, for $1299 you get a retina macbook with a smaller screen, half the battery, 1 port, worse keyboard, 30% slower processor, and thinner aluminum more prone to denting/flexing.

For $200 more you get twice the battery size, magsafe charging, 2 thunderbolt ports, 2 usb 3.0 ports, hdmi out port, sd card reader, better keyboard, 30% faster processor, and thicker aluminum built like a tank.

Ironically, after buying the usb-c $79 adapter to do anything other than charge your rmb, your only $120 difference. Add in an education or military discount and your only $70 in difference.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
^^^ People who are buying the MacBook are paying for the lightweight form factor, not trying to save money...

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
^^^ People who are buying the MacBook are paying for the lightweight form factor, not trying to save money...

Ah, I guess I've just stumbled across the representative for all retina macbook purchasers in the world. Good to meet you sir. Can you tell me what else the retina macbook purchasers are interested in? How did they elect you to be their representative? Was it an election process? Did you have to campaign?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ah, I guess I've just stumbled across the representative for all retina macbook purchasers in the world. Good to meet you sir. Can you tell me what else the retina macbook purchasers are interested in? How did they elect you to be their representative? Was it an election process? Did you have to campaign?

I just find it laughable when people spout off how much more 'stuff' another computer offers, while completely disregarding the value of making a computer small and lightweight yet functional.

Yes, I strongly believe that the vast majority of buyers of the MacBook will be choosing it specifically because of its size. That's hardly a stretch of the imagination...

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
I just find it laughable when people spout off how much more 'stuff' another computer offers, while completely disregarding the value of making a computer small and lightweight yet functional.

Yes, I strongly believe that the vast majority of buyers of the MacBook will be choosing it specifically because of its size. That's hardly a stretch of the imagination...

I know what you mean. Its so ridiculous when people spout off facts and information. I mean seriously, who wants to listen to that nonsense?

People should just be excited to be carrying around 1.45 less pounds of weight regardless of anything else. Ironically, over 60% of people are overweight or obese and they are carrying around a lot more weight than 1.45 extra pounds lol.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

Yeah you're the only one who finds it strange that Apple decreased the thickness by 33% over last year's model Air 11, added an inch larger screen and a retina screen at that (the largest consumer of battery on a laptop), and was able to maintain the same or better battery stats.

Yep, you're the only one here who finds that strange.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Yeah you're the only one who finds it strange that Apple decreased the thickness by 33% over last year's model Air 11, added an inch larger screen and a retina screen at that (the largest consumer of battery on a laptop), and was able to maintain the same or better battery stats.

I would have to agree. At first I thought the OP was being sarcastic. I am greatly impressed with the 9-10 hours of battery life that they say they can get out of the new rMB.

I only get about 4 hours of battery life out of my 2010 11" MBA. This will be a very nice upgrade for me as far as battery life goes.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I know what you mean. Its so ridiculous when people spout off facts and information. I mean seriously, who wants to listen to that nonsense?

People should just be excited to be carrying around 1.45 less pounds of weight regardless of anything else. Ironically, over 60% of people are overweight or obese and they are carrying around a lot more weight than 1.45 extra pounds lol.

What is the point of your posts here? Should we all go back to 17" notebooks? As part of my daily commute I walk four miles and spend an hour on a crowded commuter train. I am certainly not developing injuries with a 13" rMBP, but dropping almost half the weight and reducing volume a little would be a plus.

By the way, my BMI is 20.2. What's yours?

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015

I get your point but they still reduced it's consumption to 5watts instead of 20watt Air...

I'm used to thinking of the Air as only the 13inch...always forget there's also an 11inch.....so yeah if you compare it to the 11inch air you guys are right

gregvet

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Brighton, UK

worse keyboard
better keyboard

How do you know it is worse/better? Have you used the new keyboard yourself? It's pretty clear from your post that you have already made up your mind about both the new MacBook and anyone who dares to buy it, without any intention of allowing other peoples experiences, or personal hands on testing, have any effect on your position of judgement.

Personally I think the new keyboard looks lovely, very user friendly, and I would prefer them to change the ones in the rMBP to the new design. I look forward to trying it first hand.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I get your point but they still reduced it's consumption to 5watts instead of 20watt Air...

I'm used to thinking of the Air as only the 13inch...always forget there's also an 11inch.....so yeah if you compare it to the 11inch air you guys are right

They key is two things... you're getting a screen that uses twice the power, yet they managed to not take a hit on battery. That's huge. 13 or 11, it's both the same. Once you see a retina screen you'll never be able to sit in front of a non-retina again. LOL

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013

I can agree. I am looking towards getting a smaller computer than my 2012 MBP nonretina. After seeing all these small computer and tablets I'm yearning a bit for a small computer as I have an iPad but I am not a big fan of a touchscreen computer that size when I can just whip out my iPhone and have the same experience basically. The question is should I wait until the 2nd gen when all the bells and whistles from the first gen are taken care of.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
They key is two things... you're getting a screen that uses twice the power, yet they managed to not take a hit on battery. That's huge. 13 or 11, it's both the same. Once you see a retina screen you'll never be able to sit in front of a non-retina again. LOL

I think that the rMB screen is IGZO. Therefore it doesn't use 2x as much power. It is brighter yet also more efficient.

I think it is going to be absolutely gorgeous!

ct1211

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
Michigan

That is just 5 watts shy of being twice the size of the battery in the rmb.

Essentially, for $1299 you get a retina macbook with a smaller screen, half the battery, 1 port, worse keyboard, 30% slower processor, and thinner aluminum more prone to denting/flexing.

For $200 more you get twice the battery size, magsafe charging, 2 thunderbolt ports, 2 usb 3.0 ports, hdmi out port, sd card reader, better keyboard, 30% faster processor, and thicker aluminum built like a tank.

Ironically, after buying the usb-c $79 adapter to do anything other than charge your rmb, your only $120 difference. Add in an education or military discount and your only $70 in difference.

This is all true BUT, you can't tell me that its not all worth $1,300-$1,600++ when you can stroll into Starbucks and whip out that small hot little MacPad in feakin' gold... Gold man! You can't get the rMBP in Gold at any price! Plus Tim wants us to have it, so let be so...

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I think that the rMB screen is IGZO. Therefore it doesn't use 2x as much power. It is brighter yet also more efficient.

I think it is going to be absolutely gorgeous!

It's safe to say the display uses significantly more power to produce 2-4 x the resolution! LOL. And any power saved is used by the video processor to drive.

I am so excited. I just wish Apple would take my darn pre-order so I don't have to go to the store to get it!

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
It's safe to say the display uses significantly more power to produce 2-4 x the resolution! LOL. And any power saved is used by the video processor to drive.

I am so excited. I just wish Apple would take my darn pre-order so I don't have to go to the store to get it!

I think I've read that IGZO uses 30% less power than conventional screens. Your right, though, in that overall it has to be more.

I know. I'm bubbling over with excitement (almost like I sm a kid again). I wish I could have preordered already and have a ship date and everything.

I seriously believe they aren't doing preorders because they want the press of their stores being packed.

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Man some of y'all get so defensive and ********.....don't flip over the Little things. Some people have their opinions on battery life, some on power, just let it go....my goodness

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.