Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theophil1971

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2015
USA
How big is the rMB battery compared to the iPad Air 2 battery?

39.7 (rMB) vs 27.3 (iPad Air 2).

Comparison doesn't mean much though, as they are fundamentally different machines. Totally different CPUs, GPUs and operating systems. Apples to oranges.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I know that nobody knows for sure and all but why is the battery in the new MacBook only providing 9-10 hours of battery?

While watching the keynote, I was sure the battery life was going to crazy when they said it only uses 5watts. I mean I know that there's that nice retina display to power but still....

If you look at the rMBP, it has a a bigger, more power consuming screen (from what they said in the keynote), it uses like 20-something watts...sure there is more space for the in the rMBP casing but...

If we also think of the iPad Air 2 which is much thinner, it has about the same battery life...

Am I the only one that finds it little strange?

I too expected something crazy like 13 hours since they were touting portability so much but it's because there's no space inside.

The battery is literally layered not even a full one so that's why.

9 hours is pretty good though. Most will probably get a chance to charge up during or after a 9 hour time period in their day.

I myself don't care *too* much about battery life. Not as much as I use to at least simply because there's always a plug near by and I also bought an extra charger.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
The 2015 rmbp has a 74.9 watt hour battery according to Apple's website.
http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

That is just 5 watts shy of being twice the size of the battery in the rmb.

Essentially, for $1299 you get a retina macbook with a smaller screen, half the battery, 1 port, worse keyboard, 30% slower processor, and thinner aluminum more prone to denting/flexing.

For $200 more you get twice the battery size, magsafe charging, 2 thunderbolt ports, 2 usb 3.0 ports, hdmi out port, sd card reader, better keyboard, 30% faster processor, and thicker aluminum built like a tank.

Ironically, after buying the usb-c $79 adapter to do anything other than charge your rmb, your only $120 difference. Add in an education or military discount and your only $70 in difference.

That's like arguing everyone should only buy vans so you can take your wardrobe, tools, kitchen appliances, and pets everywhere you go just incase you need something.

Works for some, but normal people don't need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.