Why is the education discount lower on rMB ??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ByteTheBooty, Mar 18, 2015.

1. ByteTheBooty macrumors regular

I was just looking at the Apple website to see how much my mac would cost after education discount and I realized that for the new Macbook, theres only a discount of 50$ compared to the 120$ discount fro the retina MBP

rMB: 1549 $(CAD).....after discout: 1499$(CAD)
    rMBP: 1549$(CAD)....after discout: 1429$(CAD)

anyone know why is that??

Also, I checked online and 1299 US dollars converts to 1633$(CAD)..and canadian apple store are pricing it 1549$...not complaining, but why is that???

2. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I noticed that as well. It's kind of annoying. It should be the same as the retina MacBook Pro. It's a new product im guessing that is why.

3. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

MacBook air $50
    MacBook $50
    MacBook pro retina $100
    15 MacBook pro $100 or if over 2,000 it's $200

4. lchlch macrumors 6502a

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think a lot Apple products are only reduced by 50 bucks for the edu discount. Apple has not the best edu discounts.

6. shenan1982, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015

shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a case of people being "butt-hurt" ... I'm looking and a lot of the negative comments seem to come from the people who have recently bought a macbook air\pro.. or people who talk about wanting a new macbook but talking about price. I'm beginning to think people who are lashing out about the new models are just bitter because they can't get one.

The classic make fun of the girl you like kinda thing. Otherwise, if they're really not within the demographic this product is targeting, it demonstrates a complete lack of intelligence to make fun of a product in that scenario. I should go to the Kia forums and make fun of anyone who might like the 2015 Kia Sorrento... maybe it'll make me feel better about my old, outdated 2013 Toyota.

7. Traverse, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015

Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I noticed that there's only a $50 student discount. I think that's cheap, but classically Apple.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Probably new product. As the demand skyrockets, they might eventually push it to $100. But this is Apple and they have gotten a bit more stingy with educational discounts etc. the past couple of years.

If I get one, that $50 will go into buying the $79 dongle.

9. KrisLord macrumors 65816

In the UK, the MacBook gets the full educational discount - it's about £65 if you use the normal edu store and more like £150 if you do it from within your university network.

10. ByteTheBooty thread starter macrumors regular

too true

11. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah, many of the big schools in the US get bigger discounts than just the standard EDU discount. If you go to school, check your school's student discounts page for specific deals.

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If a person is looking to purchase a $1,300 computer and is complaining about $50, then that person should not be looking to purchase a $1,300 computer.

Fiscal responsibility. Or, the lack thereof.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

This is my guess. It's not even on sale yet and people already want a discount on a brand new item. WOW!

14. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

Not true. If you can save more why throw money away at apple. $50 is a pitiful discount.

15. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I don't think anyone is depending on the student discount to be able to afford their system, but if you're going to offer a student discount, $50 off of $1400 (with tax) is somewhat stingy.

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

No it's not. Apple doesn't have to offer up a discount at all. They are a business. Why should some people get special treatment over others? Everyone is always looking for their handout. Everybody always wants to ride in the wagon but no one wants to help pull when it's their turn.

17. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

*sigh*

No one is looking for a handout. Apple doesn't have to do a discount at all and I appreciate the $50, but if you are going to do a "student discount" on a $1400 machine you would think it would be more than $50. It just seems stingy, but better than nothing.

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Then why are you saying a $50 discount is stingy if you aren't looking for a handout?

19. KrisLord macrumors 65816

People just want consistency. The discount shouldn't depend on whether you want the MB, MBA or rMBP.

20. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Because I feel that if you're going to go so far as to have a "Student Store" and make a point of noting student discounts you'd think they'd be more meaningful.

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Any discount on the price is a benefit for the student as they didn't have to pay as much as everyone else for the same thing.

22. draughn101 macrumors regular

I was planning on using the government employee/veteran discount, but it's not on that store yet. Is it usually the same pricing as education?

23. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It's a new product category. DUH! People shouldn't be expecting the same discount as mature product categories.

24. KrisLord macrumors 65816

The discount is the same across product categories in the UK, it seems it's in the US where the new products don't get the same discount.

25. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Percentage wise, the local UPS store gives our students a larger discount on copying pages. They'll give a 5% discount.

That's 5% on paper. Apple isn't even giving 5% on something expensive and marketed at students.

Our Students also get 100% off on software etc... Except for Apple titles.

Apple really isn't interested in supporting education. Other big names provide free software worth thousands of dollars to help further student education.

One technology student I spoke with recently has obtained $20,000 worth of software for free that is relevant to his technology classes. I've logged into the university site myself and verified the titles he is using for free. These aren't temporary licenses either.

Sad that Apple shows no interest. It was the education market that built Apple from nothing in the early days.