Why is the iPad app store so awful?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AlexJaye, Jun 20, 2011.

1. AlexJaye macrumors regular

The App Store always forgets where I was when I download an app! It kicks me out of the store to show me, as if I didn't know, where the app goes and I have to re-open the app store to download another app. If I am deep in browsing in the app store I am forced to re-click through everything to hopefully get back to where I was. Why can't the store remember my place? Sometimes I just default to browsing the store on my Mac because it does not have this issue. I have an iPad 1 if that makes any difference.

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

A freaking back button would help, too. And categories that break the store down into chunks smaller than 8000 apps each. And better options for sorting/filtering throughout. And and and... Seriously, it's the worst-designed app on my iPad, and any other that managed to be so bad would get a prompt deletion.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree. It's pretty painful to navigate through the App Store on the iPhone and iPad.

I hope they redesign it.

4. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I'm surprised they designed the iTunes app so purchases jump down to a little "downloads" menu, but the App store jerks you out of the App entirely to the home screen. I assume it's a holdover from when the App Store was new on the iPhone, and users generally would go occasionally to get an app. Hope they redesign it for iOS 5.

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I find it decent if not very good. Could be worse.

6. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

so true, ive experienced this on the ipod touch, everytime i update a program it messes up my folder configuration that i had as well as kicks me out of the app store hopefully this is fixed soon.

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

True and I'm waiting for the iOS 5 update. I'm hoping they will fix it. Pretty sure they will ;)

8. omicron macrumors member

You all clearly have not used android's app store or the many app stores they have on android. The universal back button in android is the one thing I miss though on my iPad 2 :(

9. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I also have to agree and given some feedback on the above url.

10. Skika macrumors 68030

I think a wishlist of somekind would be nice.

11. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I have previously sent feedback on this issue as it drives me nuts!

12. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

When Apple released the app store for iPhone i don't think they expected to have over 300 thousand apps within 3 and a half years, they just didn't plan correctly. No excuses for the iPad app though.

13. taipan61 macrumors 6502

i hope so, this is the one thing that really kills a good experience on the iPad, now i find myself going to the laptop more and more to shop

14. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I have no issues with the App Store. It seems to work fine for me , however , I'd like to see a redesign just for the heck of it.

15. AlexJaye thread starter macrumors regular

I'm glad I'm not the only one...

Thanks for the replies. I've submitted feedback to Apple already. I hope they do fix it for iOS 5, because like it was previously said, the App Store is the worst app on my iPad! I love it otherwise.

16. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Send a message to Steve as well ;)

17. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Awful is too harsh for iPad app store. Try Android app store... That's god awful.

18. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Can anyone running iOS5 chime in as to whether the App Store is any better?

The worst part for me is the jump-to-homescreen when you install an app. Maybe it should do this for the very first app you install so that new users can see what's happening, but after that it should just keep you in the App Store app. A Downloads tab like the Mac App Store and the iOS iTunes store would work well I think.

Also I find the Top Charts very annoying on the iPad, almost worse than on the iPhone. Browsing through all 100 apps on the chart is almost impossible.

19. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I agree, but your thread title is too generic. You are only talking about a couple of things, not the whole app store.

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

As bad as the app store is on the iPad, it's even worse on the iPhone. The browsing/searching is way better on iPad.

I agree though- it's pretty absurd that the app store sucks so hard. It is a main selling point for iOS devices as well as a huge source of revenue for Apple and 3rd party developers.

21. billidog macrumors newbie

Besides the problems mentioned above, I have a bone to pick with the app store about the pinch or double tap not being enabled. I have old eyes needing quite a magnification to see comfortably on the iPad. Seems very strange that Apple does not have to have this enabled on the iPad. This could be hindering their sales, you can't buy what you can't see.

22. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Why is so awful? Two reasons. The first is what I'll call Job's revenge. If you remember when the iPhone and Touch first came out there wasn't an app store per say. Jailbreakers fought back and put the iPhone apps on the Touch, and basically GAVE Apple the idea that an app store might be something users would want. Job's hadn't "seen" this in his original vision for the devices, and so the app store as it is now is the minimal it begrudgingly has to be.

Secondly, Apple has no incentive to improve it because no matter how bad it is we still use it. They still get richer off it every second.

23. aftk2 macrumors regular

You really think the entire iPhone/iPad SDK came about because of Jailbreakers, less than a year after the original iPhone was introduced?

24. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I don't mind the 'store' itself, the layout is fine, and navigation is good enough. It's the responsiveness/loading time that drives me insane, looking through the 'Top 50' take ages to load more items and then doesn't cache the list it's already loaded, so if I scroll up I get the checkerboard - I'm using iPad1 but haven't noticed much improvement when using iPad2

Hopefully iOS5 will improve this, as it has with Safari loading times/caching :rolleyes: