Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I'm not sure how people are getting good battery life with the iPhone 5. Just leave the phone off the charger overnight and it will drain from 100% to 80% or lower for doing NOTHING. It's a joke. I have both the Note 2 and the iPhone 5 and have used both extensively - the Note 2 and even the Galaxy S3 win every time and that's with WiFi and Bluetooth on at the same time on all devices.

I tried going back to the iPhone 5 to use for an entire day just for the hell of it but lacking the back button, LED notification lights, and having a small screen makes me glad I have the Note 2 as a full time phone. I could care less about iMessage as the people who matter have WhatsApp and FaceBook Chat anyway.

What the iPhone 5 does better, IMO is that it definitely takes better low light photos without having to use a flash (pictures with flash however are terrible) and has a good form factor for one handed use. Oh and it does emojis better than Android :rolleyes: Other than that, I'm sticking with the Note 2 for what I need it for! :)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I have recently come to the conclusion that the iPhone isn't better than a top of the range Android phone. I don't think that Android is better than the iPhone either. I just think that they are different, it is all down to preference, and the one that is preferred by you at this period of time could be argued is the best (for you) I enjoy both platforms but prefer Android at the moment, I'm not so stuck in my ways that I can't change, TBH I probably will at some stage, and further down the line switch again.

I think that we are nearing the law of diminishing returns, and that technology for the time being, will only take small steps forward no matter the platform. I still await the "wow" factor/device/app with anticipation. :)

Agreed.

I don't think the next wow device will be a phone; I think it will be a wearable computing device.

I'm not sure how people are getting good battery life with the iPhone 5. Just leave the phone off the charger overnight and it will drain from 100% to 80% or lower for doing NOTHING. It's a joke. I have both the Note 2 and the iPhone 5 and have used both extensively - the Note 2 and even the Galaxy S3 win every time and that's with WiFi and Bluetooth on at the same time on all devices.

I tried going back to the iPhone 5 to use for an entire day just for the hell of it but lacking the back button, LED notification lights, and having a small screen makes me glad I have the Note 2 as a full time phone. I could care less about iMessage as the people who matter have WhatsApp and FaceBook Chat anyway.

What the iPhone 5 does better, IMO is that it definitely takes better low light photos without having to use a flash (pictures with flash however are terrible) and has a good form factor for one handed use. Oh and it does emojis better than Android :rolleyes: Other than that, I'm sticking with the Note 2 for what I need it for! :)

Took my phone off the charger at 7am when I got up. It's now 11pm and I have 55% battery remaining, having used it all day. I'll be putting it on charge when I go to bed in about ten minutes.

I've never really come close to draining the battery completely unless I've deliberately tried to do so.

Push everything on, wifi on, bluetooth on, auto brightness on with the slider at about 25%.

My S3 would be quite a bit lower by now. I had to turn wifi and bluetooth off when not in use for it to safely survive the day.

Love both devices though, and I'm sure I'd love the Note too :D I'll be tempted by the S4 but I need to stay strong and not get it 'cause I'm saving money!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
After reading most of this, it looks like the only thing people agree on is that the iPhone takes better low light photos. Other than that, nothing but yada, yada.

I enjoy my S3 and my Nex7. Both are true multitasking mini computers. I could never go back to an iOS device. It would feel to much like time warping back to 2007.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
The stock ios keyboard on my iPhone 5 is far from perfect. The autocorrect is extremely annoying. The only choices given are " you allow it or not", typical apple style.

Again thank god for jailbreak to allow me to install autocorrect tweaks.

But I guess the fanboys will be quick to label everyone as a hater if they don't like kissing apple's rear.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
On MacRumors forum:
iPhone is for smart people.
Android is for dumb people.

On Android forum:
Android is for smart people.
iPhone is for dumb people.

Pretty much sums it up. :D

Seriously, whatever works for you.

How dare you make a well-reasoned point!?! :p

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Maybe it has been said already but the iPhone is hardware, Android is software, there is zero comparison.

So the OP should ask why is the iPhone better than X phone or why is iOS better than Android.

The original question is sort of like me asking, why is a Macbook better than Windows?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
The stock ios keyboard on my iPhone 5 is far from perfect. The autocorrect is extremely annoying. The only choices given are " you allow it or not", typical apple style.

Again thank god for jailbreak to allow me to install autocorrect tweaks.

But I guess the fanboys will be quick to label everyone as a hater if they don't like kissing apple's rear.

Which tweaks do you use?

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005

Having owned the S3, the N4, and all iPhones, I have consistently experienced far better battery life on the iPhone 5 than on any of those; on a long day when I'm on call, I can get from 5:30am to 11pm with 8h of screen on time with ease. While I enjoyed the Android devices, they went back because they couldn't make it past 4-5pm with similar use (the N4 couldn't live past 2:30pm). Once they've got battery life sorted out, I'll contemplate the switch, but for me, battery life (while moving around the hospital and not tethered to a desk) trumps the advantages of android.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011

Left my iPhone 5 tonight without charging it, since it already was on 100%, dropped to 98% in 10 hours so no matter here. ;)

Last edited:

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I'm having such a hard time deciding between an iPhone 5 and a Note 2.

The Note 2 gives me big screen. I like me some big screen. The iPhone 5 allows me to keep my eco system in sync. It's such a hard choice to make. I already have an iPad 4 and I have NO intention of going to an Android tablet.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
A new study shows that the iphone is way more reliable than Samsung handsets.

They even note that with the lack of innovative tech it still tops the charts.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/02/22/apple-300-percent-more-samsung/

From your link:
In all likelihood, both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 appears to have peaked. Samsung unveiled its device in May 2012 and Apple’s smartphone was last refreshed in September 2012. The South Korean chaebol is said to be launching a successor to the S III as early as March 14 and Apple is widely expected to update the iPhone around summer.

You would imagine that Apple wouldn't be too happy that their sales of the iPhone 5 have peeked in such a short amount of time.

Last edited:

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
From your link:

You would imagine that Apple wouldn't be too happy that their sales of the iPhone 5 have peeked in such a short amount of time.

To be expected. T mobile is a huge carrier in the US and still doesn't have the iphone. I'm sure there are other factors, but my post was more concerned with functionality and reliability of the iphone, not sales figures.

Last edited:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Which tweaks do you use?

Right now the only one i use is tap to autocorrect. That way i can type away instead of fretting about the keyboard auto correcting the already right words. Don't know why it thinks that then should be changed to their.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Wow this thread has so much ignorance it's funny.

Why change a good thing. Thats called great advertising. The iPhone has become ingrained in everyday life, something a Samsung, Motorola, etc, never will be. It shows in the Apple ads. Apple doesn't talk about any other device with their commericals. Samsung has to constantly compare itself to the iPhone in theirs. Most people would consider that a loser mentality.

Product design does not equal advertising. You can change the look of something and have it still retain it's image which is :apple:

The amount of fanboys in this thread is amusing.

I actually laughed at some responses.

I'm guessing it's hard for dedicated iOS users to accept that Android has caught up and surpassed iOS.

There may be fanboys from both sides in this thread but it seems only one side is willing to talk honestly about both platforms. The other side seems to debating against an Android of yesteryear to prove that iOS is better. Pure obscurantism.

Very revealing.

Very...

Ugh sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an iPhone user.... :)

This thread makes me embarrassed to be human quite honestly. Really both sides are embarrassing. Android forums :eek: :eek:

I actually signed up to the forum because I saw this question, and felt I just have to include my OPINION:

In all honesty, I use to be an Apple lover, but at this point, I cannot find a better way to answer your question than this:

iPhones are good for non-computer literate people, like children, or older adults, and tweens. It's the phone I recommend to anyone in those groups, and they are always extremely happy with their choice. This is because iPhones are intentionally limited in what they can do. When computer-friendly people use iPhones they often come to me asking how to do things, and my most common response is: "darn, see that's so easy to do on Android" (think of opengarden, notifications (now copied by iOS) and the ability to choose default program (such as a browser)) These are "intuitive" things that iOS users would love, but Apple knows that it's too complicated for the age groups I mentioned above to understand those things, so they don't let you do it because i uses more processor, which uses more battery (which cannot be changed). This adding up?

Androids are good for computer literate people, like most of us here on the forums. I have countless friends who, like me, used to love iPhones, but after trying the latest Android phones, we actually feel stupid for touting the superiority of iPhones so ignorantly. I cannot believe just how awesome Android is, not to mention the open-source nature of it all. I haven't seen any real improvements to iOS, except for the 4" screen, which is 2 years behind the game anyways. (again, because of the battery issues)

It took me a long time to accept it, but those are the key differences when you break it all down.

In the end, you should identify your needs, talk to users of both phones, test some out, and in the end, get an Android ;) Unless, of course, you hate choosing what you wear in the morning and prefer to be told what to do. Some people are into that :p and they should get iPhones.

citizen-kane-clapping.gif

LMAO this comment made my day!

I actually hope that's sarcasm, if not, that comment is a 'poster child.' Brilliant man! Just brilliant! :D

I'm going to remember this comment for a while.

I'm computer literate but I don't need my PHONE to be as open as a PC, when I have my PC for that.

Used Android for three years and I don't miss the features I've lost by going back to iOS. There are some things I really like about my iPhone (people who've seen me post on here will have seen this ad nauseum), which are: I can leave everything switched on (WiFi, push email, push notifications, bluetooth, etc) and battery life is still very good; my iPhone connects to my car's bluetooth every time I get in my car (both my Galaxy S2 & S3 were hit and miss); I can talk to my friends and the mrs on iMessage using both my iPad and iPhone.

I don't need to do anything technically challenging when I'm out and about. If I had a job which required me to do that, then I would reconsider my options.

Great. Some people want their phones to be more like a PC and want to tweak it. Some don't. Great.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Lol....

The very nature of this thread is both shallow and pedantic ;)

But seriously - why can't anyone simply realize that neither is better/has surpassed the other? That both have their charms and draws and that what works best for one won't necessarily work best for the other?

Why is this a contest?

The more I use my N4, the more I realize - the phone doesn't make the user.....the user makes the phone. I use my N4 in almost the same way I use my iP5.....the N4 hasn't changed my use-case or preferences when it comes to smartphones, I just use them both the way I use them....

Don't get me wrong - I very much appreciate the comedy of these threads. Without the laugh I get from reading some yall's pathetic attempts at putting one platform down, I'd have a dull day at the office most days! :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Lol....

The very nature of this thread is both shallow and pedantic ;)

But seriously - why can't anyone simply realize that neither is better/has surpassed the other? That both have their charms and draws and that what works best for one won't necessarily work best for the other?

Why is this a contest?

The more I use my N4, the more I realize - the phone doesn't make the user.....the user makes the phone. I use my N4 in almost the same way I use my iP5.....the N4 hasn't changed my use-case or preferences when it comes to smartphones, I just use them both the way I use them....

Don't get me wrong - I very much appreciate the comedy of these threads. Without the laugh I get from reading some yall's pathetic attempts at putting one platform down, I'd have a dull day at the office most days! :D

I agree with you 100% until I used a note 2. I think that is a device that really changes the way you use your phone. Obviously a stylus has a lot to do with this, but the major reason is the size. I really do not need to power on my laptop to do extensive internet browsing, and I get the same battery life as my macbook air haha (screen time)

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I like both the iPhone 5 and my Droid DNA, but I have chosen the Droid DNA. Why? Bigger screen, and customization. Thats MY preference its not for everyone. The wife says the DNA is too big and you know what thats fine I don't spend hours telling her how she should switch to android. Why? Because she likes her iPhone 4s it does everything she needs. My mom loves her iPhone 5 why? because its simple for her to use. I like my DNA why? because I can do ANYTHING I want to it, its MINE.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
I don't think that x is better than y, but i am now using a nexus 4 with iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5 does have better battery stamina. However some of the features of the nexus are amazing, iOS definitely feels a little clunky (i used to say this about android in 2.3 days when compared to iOS), but i have a hard time pointing the finger at the right culprits, it just "feels" clunkier now.

However, the reason iPhone tends to do better is also because it is the only iOS handset Apple makes. They cannot afford compromising the hardware. So it does provide much better speakers (the speakers on my N4 are muffled even when not covered by a surface until they are at 80%+), better camera, better sound quality (my n4 seems to lose out a few details, tested with google play and poweramp), battery optimization etc etc.

The thing with android is that the best software doesn't necessarily come with the best hardware (not talking CPUs/RAM). For example, the GS3 has better camera, seemed to hold out a tad better in terms of battery life in my experience, sound quality also seemed quite on par with the iPhone 5, but then i have to use touchwiz, if i wanted to use an iOS knock-off, i would rather use the real thing. Custom ROMs always break something whenever i try one, so using CM etc as a daily driver isn't such a great option when i trade off full use of my device.

It is sort of frustrating that while the nexus 4 allows me to read PDFs quite easily without even zooming thanks to a minor 0.7 inch increase in screen size, it makes me trade off the battery life of the iPhone 5. It would be absolutely great if i could get both at the same time, and it is also quite possible in this day and age, but the OEM mess that google has gotten into ensures the nexus is not the phone to boast the best battery life sadly, it is either the RAZR, the note 2 (which is too big for my hands, and yes i did try it out), or the S3.

All google really needs to do is give stellar battery life to a nexus. 4.2.2 is amazing otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.