Why is the iPhone 'home' button - a button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applemax, Nov 4, 2007.

1. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Anyone? Surely, the phone would be much nicer if the button was touch as well! a la iPod 3G. Does anyone agree? Thanks

:):)

2. danielforman macrumors regular

do you mean the home button actually appear on the screen. If so then personally I dont think this would be very good because it would mean that it is an extra button on the interface that will have to appear in the same place all the time. Personally I think having the home button as it is now if perfect. It is in a good place, fits in with the design and makes sure that you can always get back to the home screen no matter where you are.

3. applemax thread starter macrumors 65816

applemax

No - I mean it'd stay in the same place, but instead of it being a physical button it'd be a touch button like on the 3rd Gen iPods (http://linuxbrit.co.uk/gadgets/lg/IMG_0450.JPG) (like one of the top 4 buttons)

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    You're right, a lot of people thought it was going to be a touch button below the screen, and there was some surprise that it was mechanical... especially given what Jobs said about buttons. (Of course, he conveniently ignored the volume, standby and ringer buttons.)

I think it's because they needed a reliable home button that wouldn't be disabled easily.

The OS and its applications are clearly not bulletproof yet and, along with the ability for apps to crash back to the home page, having a wired home button was a good idea.

5. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

no,
    or maybe,
    because people like to press things ;) expecially me.
    But it would be nice to make the Macbook, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac pro on/off buttons to be like you suggested a sort of touch thingy, pressure sensitive.

6. avalys macrumors 6502

I agree - I wondered about this myself. After you've been lightly tapping your way through the rest of the interface for a few minutes, actually having to press a button seems like a monumental effort.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It would probably be a pain in the butt if you accidentally brush it and wham, you're back to the home screen.

Actually requiring you to push the button is a user interface win, imo.

8. Knolly macrumors 6502a

My theory is that they needed some mechanical button somewhere (yeah... there are side buttons, but those disappeared on the iPod touch) to handle resets, etc.

9. p0intblank macrumors 68030

The home button is physical for obvious reasons... The user would accidentally awake their iPhones and it would drain battery life. Think about it. I'm glad it's not touch sensitive.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Home Button allows the user to 'crash' to the Home Screen regardless of software glitch. When a program freezes (Installer.app - Customize) no part of the continguous touch display is working. It is herein necessary to have an end all control over your device independent of software.

11. aerospace macrumors 6502a

it could easily be an independant system. I for one would love to switch out the button for a touch image...say an apple. it could be modded like any other image

12. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Really, a monumental effort ? That is too funny, LOL.

13. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

Maybe its so that it is easier to feel you have double-pressed the button.

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    The double-touch is an tacit admission that programmable buttons are a Good Thing.

In order to do a little of what most all other devices do with dedicated buttons... e.g. go straight to the phone or media player... they had to overload the only main button available.

Of course, other phones also have dedicated buttons for wifi on/off, comm managers, favorite program launch, etc. To get the same functionality on a single button, Apple will have to come up with using Morse code.

:D

15. wentwj macrumors regular

I much prefer the physical button. Especially typing in things it'd be really easy to brush against the button and drop out to the home screen, thus destroying your e-mail/website post/what-have-you.

Plus it wouldn't be for useability.

The purpose of the touch sensitive display/buttons are that the interface can change as need be. Physical buttons are static and always present, in my opinion, using a touch sensitive button for a static button that is always present is silly and obviously an over use of that feature. The home button always does one thing, and it should always be in the same place, so it's not a candidate for a touch button

16. hidehide macrumors 6502

I actually like the home button in iphone, its sexy to press on it :)
    But for ipod, I like my 3G ipod "select" button. the 4G, 5G select button is ugly, you have to press on it.. its very ugly..

17. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Cool. I agree the 3G iPod was the coolest of all.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

i guarantee that the next iphone will have a touch sensitive button. i am shocked this one didn't.

19. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Those touch buttons were horrible. You just brushed your finger on one and you would be taken to the next song. That's why they aren't on iPods anymore either.

20. rayward macrumors 68000

It is also important because it's used in tandem with the on/off button to execute a a forced reboot after a crash. If it was a software button, that wouldn't be possible.

21. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

it doesn't have to be a software button, it could be a small piece of hardware with heat sensor or pressure sensitive sensor.

22. rayward macrumors 68000

It could. But then you've got one more item that's sucking on the battery.

23. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its nice to know you've pressed it, instead of a maybe...

24. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

i Agree :) it's just a nice thought, and probably it would also be nice to have a real press.

25. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I like the fact it is a physical button. The only thing that gets frustrating is when people ask to see my phone, 90% of the time they think it is a "touch" button and I have to say

"No PRESS it"

"No, I mean actually PRESS it"

"Here like this"

Rookie: "OHHHHHH, its a REAL button. I get it!"