Why is the new MBP (non Retina) bashed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cubeeless, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

I really don't get the point why some of the members here are bashing on non Retina models.

Not everybody needs the Retina model and user upgradability is also important. So why we don't show Apple that the way their are going (soldering Ram and hdd) is wrong, through buying MBP's or at least not bashing people who bought MBPs.

JM2C

2. djmoody macrumors regular

I don't see a lot of 'bashing', I do see a lot of people on here (myself included) that believe if you don't usually upgrade your laptops aftermarket you get more dollar for dollar with a retina 15 vs a regular 15. But, if you don't plan on spending 2200, the regular mbps are perfectly viable

3. leenak macrumors 68020

I haven't seen any bashing of the non-retina MBP. Someone highlighting some of the benefits of the retina MBP, doesn't mean that the non-retina is bad. They both have their benefits and drawbacks.

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

just bought a new base model 15" non-ret today, going to upgrade to 16gb of ram and a 256gb SSD, love the easy upgradeability over my old santa rosa, i would have been very unhappy being stuck with 256gb of storage on the base retina

5. JalenMc macrumors newbie

You're not?

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

not what? i don't understand the question

7. leenak macrumors 68020

I think he/she means there will be after market SSD options available, although they'll be pricey.

I went with 512GB SSD and yes, I can't imagine using more than that.

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

I think he is saying that eventually someone will come up with a special ssd for the retina pro just like they did for the air. I think it was a statement, not a question. You're not stuck at 256gb, however to go to 512 will cost you a grand or something outrageous. I get your point, and i think the smart alec is crazy.

9. Cubeeless thread starter macrumors regular

Cubeeless

Yes, but the difference is, that the base models are 'allowed' to be upgraded, whereas the Retina are not.

10. CUsurfer macrumors member

I haven't seen anyone hating on the cMBP. The only thing that sucks is Apple priced it so high. They should have included an SSD by default or at least made the "HiRes" (not anymore!) display standard. 1440x900 is just a joke of a resolution these days. The fact that they even charge extra for 1680x1050 is hilarious when the laptop is already that much.

I think you are getting more for your money with the rMBP--unless you already have an SSD and/or additional RAM. After you factor in those components, even third party, the cMBP ends up being very close to or even more expensive than the rMBP. Plus no HDMI and only 1 TB port. So I feel like you really have to place a premium on upgradeability to go with the cMBP over the rMBP.

11. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

There is nothing wrong with then non-retina model.

I just want the retina one.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

On MacRumors, everything gets bashed, from the iPod, to the Air, to the new Pros. :D

13. gokart mozart, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

gokart mozart macrumors 6502

qft

More so than the retina display, the SSD is what really got my attention on the MBPR over the cMBP. I've had one MacBook's hdd crap out on me once. Apple Care covered it, but still not something I want to deal with again. Not to mention the faster write and read speeds. Very useful for large photo and music libraries (my later is over 100GBs). I would have considered the classic MBP more seriously if it had a SSD at its current price point. HDDs are the sort of legacy tech that I'd rather see Apple get rid of, before the ethernet port (not that I need one personally). And yeah, the "hi-res" upgrade option should be standard by now.

The reduced size and weight are nice bonuses of the MBPR too.

14. Queen6, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Apple have realistically spec`d the rMBP high enough so the average user wont need to worry about upgrading. 8Gb is a lot of RAM and more than adequate for most users, a minority will really need more, most will upgrade for the sake of it. SSD`s are still in their infancy and expensive per Gb, just as were hard drives, the cost of upgrading the rMBP from 256Gb to 512Gb is still significantly less than I paid for my first high capacity drive with a massive 10Mb at my disposal ;)

The cMBP is a fantastic machine, I have a Late 2011 15" 2.4 i7, the 2012 can only be better, however the "writing is on the wall" and they will be phased out in time. Had Steve Jobs still been here I suspect they would already be gone. as he was not one for liking legacy tech.

I don't perceive that anyone anyone is getting locked into anything, with the new Mac`s you simply need to choose the machine for your needs, what can be said is we have become used to cheaper third party upgrades and this path has now been cut to some extents. Apples integrated approach will likely bring greater reliability and definitely reduce user error.

In many respects there has never been a better time to buy, with both the new and legacy Macs available at the same time offering the broadest of choices :cool:

15. balthusdire macrumors newbie

I still the "legacy" MBP will be good for years to go. Don't let people get to you; buy what is right for you.

16. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

+1

17. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I get my MBP tomorrow and I'm very excited about it. I chose it because I wanted anti-glare, room for 2nd hard drive, and the ability to upgrade my RAM to a possible 32GB in the future.

I prefer the above over "more pixels" ... I also read heat is a concern on the retina models.

18. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

I dont see any bashing on non- retina? I see more bashing on retina macbook pro

19. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

If you see a Refurb Non Retina 2012 for cheap, grab it! It's a fine machine.

20. marcosscriven macrumors regular

Actually I think it's the other way around - the story about how unrepairable/serviceable the rMBP is has constantly been in the tech blogs.

21. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

that is also what I perceive. No bashing on the MBP, but a constant influx pf bashing on the RMBP

22. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

I haven't seen much bashing of the classic MBP per se. Use of terms like 'legacy' and 'old' for the new cMBP may be offending to some people given that - from a technological stand point - it is basically the same machine as the rMBP (with the exception of the screen).

The OP is likely to be referring to the fact that anyone who expresses the opinion that they would prefer - for whatever reason - the cMBP over the rMBP is lambasted by a flock of Kool-Aid guzzling fanatics for daring to Think Different ;)

Full disclosure: I've just ordered a 2.6GHz cMBP with anti-glare HiRes screen. For me (and in no way extrapolating to other people), the true anti-glare, the expandability of the cMBP, and not being an early adopter is more important than the thinness, lightness, and - what is by all accounts - the truly amazing screen of the rMBP.

23. leenak macrumors 68020

I'm one of the ones that would've picked the retina system even if retina wasn't part of it. It just fits my needs better as a system.

I think heat, in general, is a concern with any laptop. Have you seen any real comparisons of the retina and non-retina versions?

----------

I don't know, usually someone expressing preferences of the non-retina version usually is prefaced by 'retina sucks, I'm going with the non-retina". I can fully understand why someone wouldn't go with the retina, that doesn't mean they have to qualify their reasoning by trying to say the retina is a bad system. It is just a system that may not meet their needs. I'm one of the ones who bought 2 systems (1 for myself and 1 for someone else) and the result was 1 is going to be retina and 1 isn't.

The retina one is going to me and being an early adopter is a concern of mine but I need a system now and I'll be using it for 3-4 years so I either get it now or wait. I'm willing to take the risk. If I didn't need a system now, I'd simply wait a year before I bought anything.

24. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

For me, the question is not cMBP vs rMBP, or bashing cMBP. The real question is why Apple has overpriced the cMBP. The only reason I see is that they want to promote and push forward the rMBP sales. If the cMBP 2,6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD were rightly priced less than $2500, then few would buy rMBP... That's my opinion.

I am also worried about how early adopters are rushing to spend 3000 bucks on the rMBP. The majority of people do not need it and/or cannot afford it without ruining their economy. I believe we must gain back consciousness and understand that we, customers, drive prices and technologies. If we increase Apple's rMBP or cMBPs sales, it means that we feel happy being submissive and abused by Apple manipulations!

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a flame thread, but there is no doubt that they are and want to steal our money!. Let's hope that we, consumers, don't allow them to get away with this rip-off...

25. leman macrumors 604

Uhm, I see much more bashing of the retina model, to be honest ^^

My personal view on the matter is that retina MBP offers more for the same money as the non-retina model (as far as my usage of computer is concerned). I can understand that people use machines differently though.

----------

:eek:

Show me someone that sells comparable machines for much less money please?