Why is the newest Jailbreak so messy?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sammyman, Apr 11, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

What happened to the jailbreakme.com days when everything was so simple? Now I am reading loads of comments about jailbreaking going wrong on 4.3.1. When it gets this difficult to jailbreak, and the benefits for jailbreaking are so small, I wonder why anyone does it.

Right now I want to jailbreak for mywi. I used to jailbreak for mywi, google voice, multitasking, folders, and sbsettings. Apple has taken care of most of this.

Are there any chances of an easy and reliable jailbreak coming soon?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The current jailbreak is quite nice when compared to ones of the past. The first iPod Touch 2G jailbreak was hard to do. As was the first few iPhone 2G jailbreaks, lots of Terminal stuff. Its very stable and there a no more problems then with the 4.1, 4.2.1 jailbreaks.

3. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

4.2.1 seems ok, but this forum is loaded with problems for the 4.3.1 jailbreak.

4. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Because those derps are trying to maintain their 1.59 baseband. New firmware + Old baseband = hard times. I'm on 3.whatever and 4.3.1 with no issues AT ALL.

5. noiceT macrumors 6502a

4.3.1 went smoothly for me. What problems do you speak about? After each JB, the forum is ALWAYS loaded with problems; when has it not??

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

The older jailbreaks were able to use a very exploitable hole via pdf's (if I remember right) which made jailbreakme.com possible.

Apple closed that hole. They have other ways in, but it's not exploitable in the same way and requires you to boot into DFU mode to access it. As far as messy... I don't agree. I can't comment on baseband since I'm on Verizon, but as far as the JB itself I've done it numerous times to various devices (including my iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch) and never once had an issue and each time it took less than 60 seconds to get the JB on and a few more moments for it to do it's automated thing.

8. Beefnoodle macrumors newbie

1. Larger iOS owner base => increased posting of problems

2. (secondary result from #1 above) increased amount of "newbie/wannabe" hackers that don't read JB warnings nor follow instructions closely. :D

3. Less holes for JB team to poke through.:apple:

9. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Same here, no problems what so ever.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

jailbreakme.com was WAY too easy and that got some idiots into JBing scene. They keep having silly problem that could easily solve if they searched.

By the way, Redsn0w isn't difficult at all. I JB mine is 5 mins.

11. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

not a single problem here, just a matter of finding the best apps, etc. I actually have better battery life than ever.

12. jthomp macrumors regular

4.3.1 jailbreak process had a single hiccup for me, but that is to be expected when you are doing what were doing. As far as the "good old days" of jailbreakme.com, some of the newer members have no idea how easy you guys have it. My furthest recollection of jb'ing is on FW 1.X.X, way back when Zibri was involved and Ziphone was a major game player.

I highly agree with a post above about the forums being flooded because people just don't read. I used to work with a guy who would come to me each time a FW update came out and would say over and over again, "I dont' know how it updated, I didn't push anything... Can you jb this for me? I know there isn't one released yet, but do you know a 'trick' to make it work?" If more people would just take it slow and read, I think we'd have a lot of threads, but more specific ones othe than the "help! Is this broken?" type threads....

13. Menzo macrumors member

I've stayed away from 4.3.1 mainly due to reports about a silent switch not working bug. Sitting on 4.1 till things look less 'messy' as the OP puts it. Are my fears unjustified?

Also has Pkgbackup been readied for 4.3.1? I bought it a while back and want to finally use it when I upgrade lol.

14. dave420 macrumors 65816

I had some minor problems with the most recent jailbreak. I upgraded my iPhone 4, 3GS, and iPad to 4.3.1. The iPhone 4 was the only one the jailbreak worked flawlessly on for me. That was the important one though so I am happy.

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

In my short time jailbreaking this is about on par with some of the others, there has always been a period of time that the tools needed updating to work under the new version. Just because the hole is published doesnt mean everything is going to just work. It's only going to get harder from here on out anyway.

16. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

17. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Dont come on here, and complain that the work devs do arent 100% polished.
    Be thankful of this. The jailbreaking community is a HUGE deal.

What would the iPhone be without the generation of Jailbreak? Who knows..

All I know is, without a jailbreak, my iPhone is nothing.. I am extremely thankful that there are people like:

Chpwn
    Cdevwill
    Geohot
    Saurik
    p0sixninja
    musclenerd
    comex
    ih8snow
    ryan p

+ Countless others. Who slave on the computer for hours and hours to the point of carpel tunnel. These guys bring a tear of joy to my eye because I know they all do it for the good of the community, and I respect their dedication.

Think about that, the next time you turn on your iPhone and you use SBSettings.. Its more than just a swipe.. Its months and months and months of hard work from many different people, respect that.

18. diamondschwin macrumors member

its not, its just that so many people have the iphone there are bound to be a few people who have legitimate flukes and something goes wrong, but more likely its just idiocy and unwillingness to read or learn about what they are actually doing.

My coworker heard I had my ip4 JB on 4.3.1 so he plugs his ip4 on 4.2.1 that I JB for him with greenpoison into itunes, hits the update button (not even the restore button) and then tries to re run greepoison on top of that when his JB got messed up... then he comes to me with a phone stuck on the white 'terminal' like text with a million errors and gets upset about it lol

19. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It's not messy at all, what are you talking about?

This has to be one of the simplest jailbreaks to do.

All you have to do is follow the instructions on the screen and you're done!
    Most of the people here having problems are newbies or first time jailbreakers, you said you've jailbroken before so you should have no problems jailbreaking.

Good luck! :)

20. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

Judging how buggy a jailbreak is off of forum comments is a horrible idea. The people who have had success with the jailbreak aren't going to be leaving feedback on the forums usually.
    That is like going into a hospital to find people in good health.....

That being said, I had great luck with the current jailbreak and I found it a pleasure to use.

21. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Wasn't messy for me at all. I think most people jump headfirst into JB'ing without reading up or taking the time to understand how these jailbreaks need to be applied. If they did, I'm sure there would be a lot less posts in these forums asking for help or why their phone is now bricked. I'm guessing a good majority of those jailbreaking do so without any issues. It's just those noob's that flood the boards with messages that make it appear that these jailbreaks aren't working properly.

22. dudeabiding macrumors 6502

dudeabiding

Messy? No, simple. I did it (Pwnage) in about 12 minutes, and it works fine. Yes, it takes more effort then the last, simple-Simon JB, but really, messy? Make a firmware, install a firmware. Reinstall your stuff (that took a bit of time, but it was certainly easy and it gave me a chance to not reinstall the things I wasn't using, making for a cleaner system). Done. If that is too much work, you probably shouldn't be jailbreaking.

23. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

It's easy too jailbreak it but the 4.3.1 is a problem. A lot jb apps are still causing problems for me.

24. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

My 4.3.1 jb is just as solid as the last one. The only "problems" I had were due to PkgBackup issues that I experienced when I chose to "merge" cydia sources rather than update. Everything else went great and I'm enjoying trouble-free iPhone 4 service and features.

25. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I decided to try the most recent jailbreak with my iphone 4. Like I originally said, I really only wanted mywi and maybe sbsetttings. I jailbroke my phone and I couldn't make any calls. I have an ATT iphone on a newer baseband. So that lasted only 5 minutes.

I am not disrespecting the devs that work on jailbreaking. I am glad they are as smart as they are. I understand that things use to be simpler when there was only 1 iphone and 1 carrier. But it is frustrating when people jailbreak their phones and some basic features like network stop functioning. I miss when it was simpler, and when it worked much better.