Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does iOS 10 make poor use of precious screen real estate?

• Yep

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

w4rm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
Just downloaded the iOS 10 GM.

Even with a 6 Plus the interface is so large. The notifications and widgets take up so much space. And I have the settings set to smallest text and standard zoom.

I feel that the screen real estate is taken up by unnecessary UI elements.

When notification center or the lock screen is full of notifications it's hard to make out all the information at a glance, it just looks messy.

What are you guys thoughts?

Reactions: Bromio

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Even with a 6 Plus the interface is so large. The notifications and widgets take up so much space. And I have the settings set to smallest text and standard zoom.

When notification center or the lock screen is full of notifications it's hard to make out all the information at a glance, it just looks messy.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-10-ui-elements-to-big.1992758/

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014

My opinion is the same. I don't like it at all. On iPad devices the problem is bigger.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
i've gotten used to a lot of it but i still think lots of examples of bad use of space. i wish the text scaling applied in more places and also affected some of the padding a bit more. like in spotlight results, i just don't need that much padding

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
i've gotten used to a lot of it but i still think lots of examples of bad use of space. i wish the text scaling applied in more places and also affected some of the padding a bit more. like in spotlight results, i just don't need that much padding

For me I like the padding between the result types as it helps to break up the types of content. What I don't like is the transparent text in the headers of those sections. That is a UI crime imo

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
I answered no and have been running it during the entire beta period. "Doesn't agree with me" and "wrong" are two separate concepts.
Lmao this is not a matter of opinion

zdLjimz.jpg

KQyDRQt.jpg

cUUw3Tw.jpg

mG28TjK.jpg

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry, it really isn't. You don't know UI if you think that UI is making good use of the space.

Let's single one out and put your expert knowledge of UI to good use. A job at Apple surely beckons. That last screenshot, the one with the clock and album cover. What would you suggest would "make good of use the space" on a 9.7" or 12" inch screen to display a clock and an album cover? Mockup, oh UI expert?

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Seems like every screenshot of Messages and Mail on the lock screen show notifications with previews. Do the bubble shapes look overly padded even when previews are turned off?

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
But "good" is subjective, right?
Not in extreme cases like this, it isn't.

Let's single one out and put your expert knowledge of UI to good use. A job at Apple surely beckons. That last screenshot, the one with the clock and album cover. What would you suggest would "make good of use the space" on a 9.7" or 12" inch screen to display a clock and an album cover? Mockup, oh UI expert?
Aside from it not being my job to design Apple's stuff for them, I'm not wasting my time coming up with sketches because you're the kind of person who never changes their mind on things they clearly do not understand. You honestly don't have to be an expert to see the tragic misuse of space there, and the very idea that you're going to ask me to actually do better as if that were some kind of challenge at all lets me know you're beyond convincing otherwise.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Not in extreme cases like this, it isn't.

Aside from it not being my job to design Apple's stuff for them, I'm not wasting my time coming up with sketches because you're the kind of person who never changes their minds on things they clearly do not understand. You honestly don't have to be an expert to see the tragic misuse of space there, and the very idea that you're going to ask me to actually do better as if that were some kind of challenge at all let see me know you're beyond convincing otherwise.

No. "You'll just be a big meanie" is not a convincing argument here. The general point I'm driving at here is that you seem to be averse to low density in layout but the obvious issue with that is, when you don't really have anything to display and you have a large screen, low density is inevitable. But I get it, it's the internet so criticizing something for a pretty arbitrary reason, asserting absolutely that it's wrong but dodging the question when asked how you'd improve is absolutely something you can do.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
No. "You'll just be a big meanie" is not a convincing argument here. The general point I'm driving at here is that you seem to be averse to low density in layout but the obvious issue with that is, when you don't really have anything to display and you have a large screen, low density is inevitable. But I get it, it's the internet so criticizing something for a pretty arbitrary reason, asserting absolutely that it's wrong but dodging the question when asked how you'd improve is absolutely something you can do.
I'm not going to have a UI argument with somebody who doesn't understand UI. Interpret that however you like. :)

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I'm not going to have a UI argument with somebody who doesn't understand UI. Interpret that however you like. :)

You're not having a UI argument, period. That would require that you don't just say that you're right and anyone who disagrees is wrong without any actual debate occurring.

Reactions: Suckfest 9001

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The botched scaling is one of my biggest criticisms of the design change, along with excessive use of translucency. At first, I wasn't sure whether the update overwrote the display-zoom setting. It feels as though they are mixed now.

Have you seen the Apple Executive team? They are all old men.
Without wanting to sound ageist, but yes, that was kind of my thought as well. Designed for seniors and wee children. Apple's insistence on one-size, fits-all approach becomes increasingly unbearable.

Reactions: Suckfest 9001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.