Why is there LED, only in 17" High Res MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zoran, Apr 2, 2008.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Why did they manufact. the LED display only in the High Res option display in the 17" MBPro?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The MBA is LED too, isn't it? Smaller screens are easier, AFAIK. I'm kind of surprised the Macbook has not already been converted too. My Eee has an LED screen.

Time is ticking on their promise to be LED across the board....

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Probably Apple wants to have more reasons for users to dish out the extra $$$ for the led (I fell into that trap and glad that I did the display is gorgeous!).:p

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

I cant see how spending an extra 100$ makes a big difference to the cost of a 2800& laptop when the energy sufficiency is such one of the greatest advantages given on a laptop for quite a few years now all this only for 100$
    Mercy!

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i wish there was a high res option for the 15" MBP...

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

yea actually if you look up led backlighting, it shows almost everywhere that its a cheaper material and cost to manufacture the led than the ccfl with the inverter + better technology, much brighter and lasts much longer which never fades over time.

I think Apple kept the standard 17" non led so that people would jump to order the high res model to pay the extra $$$ for the led upgrade. So from the $2799 to $2899 just for led which is actually cheaper to manufacture for apple as to the ccfl with the inverter, thus them making a nice profit and multiply that by hundreds of thousands or even millions of people and Apple got itself a nice chunk of profit.

8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Have you seen the HRes display on the 17" MBPro?
    Its not a good option unless you are using Video Editing Apps (Final Cut Pro, Premiere etc.). But who wants to use such heavy apps on a Core2Duo laptop anyway?

9. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

Who knows, maybe Apple will sometime down in the future for the 15" MacBook Pros.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Small energy efficiency boosts are great, and I definitely prefer anything environmentally friendly (it is really the heavy metals in the CCFL and not the energy efficiency that is accelerating the change), but... that business case is just silly. Even if you keep the notebook long past its generally-accepted usable life, I find it quite unlikely that you'll save $100 in energy costs before it dies.

At a power savings of about 1 watt (generous), and the average 2007 US power costs (10.6 cents / kWh), $100 = 943 kWh = 943,000 Wh. So, if you run your Macbook continuously, with the screen constantly on, for 107 years, you'll save your $100.

Of course, $100 is also an absurd cost estimate for an LED display assembly...

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

So the extra 100$ are not, repeat not due to the LED display! Still id buy it, the only thing that annoys me is that teeny weeny High Res display!

12. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

*Raises hand*

I really really want a high res option on the 15" MBP. I often find myself running out of screen real estate whenever I'm not hooked up to my external monitors. This doesn't just happen when I'm using pro apps, but when I'm using it normally from day to day.

13. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did a 1680x1050 (or an eye poppingly small 1920x1200) as at least an option in the next revision or the one after. It's a missed opportunity if they don't.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes I have seen it. Photo editing is a perfect application for this kind of display and runs just peachy on a Core 2 Duo. You act like this chip is slow. Until recently it's the fastest there was.

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Me too! I'd kill to get a hires 15", that would be close to a perfect mix for a laptop for me. The 17" is just too big and heavy for many situations.

16. macleod199 macrumors 6502

Well, keep in mind it might be cheaper if you're building a new factory, but they've already sunk a bunch of money into the old assembly lines. It takes time and money to transition, and it's too risky to do all at once.

17. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

As far as speed is concerned video editing with the core2duo isnt that good. Photo editing is ok yes, still who wants to make serious photo editing on a laptop? I certainly dont, i prefer an LCD EIZO! :D

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would have bought the high-res, but I didn't feel like spending the extra $$ on the 2.6 and the 7.2k rpm hdd.

19. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

In my opinion the 7.2k rpm HD is the greatest asset of this laptop, compared to the 2.6 penryn processor!

20. Thetics macrumors regular

I think people are getting mixed up... the $100 is not for the LED, it is for the High Rez. correct me if I am wrong, but both the 15 and 17 come with LED as a standard now, it is just $100 for the higher resolution screen on the 17". no?

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

IMHO the jumping from 2.5ghz to 2.6ghz is a rip off and rather opting for the led (which makes a huge difference in using in everyday life as to the jump from 2.5 to 2.6 will make).

Plus the $250 that you were going to spend on from the 2.5ghz to 2.6ghz jump could have been used for $100 on the led + $150 on a hitachi travelstar 7k200 or the WD 320gb hdd and just install it yourself (ridiculously easy to do) and no it will not void your warranty I've done it many times since the first gen mbp and even then I just kept the original hdd that has the apple symbol on the hdd top stick on it and if you send it into apple care just swap the original hdd back into the mbp and send it to applecare. I've done this with the first gen mbp 2 times because of the "whine" issue back then and got it back just fine.

I remember when I first swapped out the hdd from my macbook pro I just used the guide from www.ifixit.com and only took me no longer than 30 minutes with no problems whatsoever. Only thing you have to do is just get 2 pieces of paper and just mark what screws goes where on the outer casing (there are no screws to deal with inside the mbp only the hdd part which is extremely easy to deal with).

I just draw the 2 side parts of the mbp and just draw exactly where the screws goes and the back portion and bottom portion as well and just get the top part off (17" is easier as it isnt snapped on just comes right off but 15" is snapped on) and the top part connected to the keyboard with just 1 ribbon that you cant possibly mess up since it comes off so easily without any damage (even if you mess up it'll just snap right out so easily once you lift the top part off without damaging the ribbon cable) and just 2 screws that keeps the hdd on and just swap it out and just back track and screw everything back on.

Now I can swap hdd's on my 17" mbp or 15" mbp in matter of 10 minutes.

22. bcaslis macrumors 68020

You're right that the $100 is for hi-res. Unfortunately the hi-res and LED are tied together. You can only get CCFL if you don't get hi-res, and you can only get LED if you get hi-res.

23. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

For we all know we could be paying $60 for hi res and $40 for led.

25. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

One of our Dell's has a 1920x1200 15.4" LCD display and even with my sharp eyes, that's mighty darn small text and icons. :p