Why is there no edit option in texts?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Kaybosasuke, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Kaybosasuke macrumors newbie

I could have sworn there used to be an option to remove unwanted content from your text chat history. I've been sent a picture that I don't want sitting there in the chat history but there's absolutely no way for me to remove it. It's like apple is saying to me, "No, WE get to decide what stays and what goes. NOT you customer, NOT YOU."

2. joshforman macrumors regular

Tap and hold on a message and then press select More from the options that come up.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Nice rant on Apple there without even trying to figure it out first.

4. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I wish they would make it so you swipe to the right to bring up the ''more'' options.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This is one of my biggest peeves. In iOS 6 there was an edit button. When you pressed it the Delete and Forward buttons became active.

But now with iOS 7 we're all so clever that we don't need any indication at all. So poke, swipe, and hold. One or none of those may work.

So remember, tap and hold:
    • Unless the message is just an HTTP link, then you cannot do anything except Open / Add to Reading List / Copy.
    • Unless the message is just an address, then you cannot do anything except Open in Maps / Add to Contacts / Copy.
    • If the message has some text besides an HTTP link or address, then you need to try and tap and hold that text. And if you instead accidently (or intentionally) tap and hold the link or address and choose copy, the non-link portion of the message isn't copied so you can't paste a name and address somewhere else.
    Did I miss anything?

6. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

I actually miss the edit button too. I hate the way it is right now. When I scroll so I can delete multiple messages at once, I accidentally check messages that I don't want to delete.

7. joshforman macrumors regular

You can tap and hold on any message to get the More option and then you can select the ones that you need to delete or forward.

8. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

Yeah. They really need to bring back the edit button. I'm sure they will, but probably not for a couple of point updates. Well, I hope so anyway!

9. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

And if there is only one message?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can do that with that one message.

----------

Agreed, the usability loss is certainly there and really should have been addressed. At least the actual functionality hasn't been removed.

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

No you can't. Reread my post. Try bullet point #1. I've tried every way I can think of but I'm open to suggestions.

I gotta believe Apple is still working on the UI and we'll see big improvements as iOS 7 matures. <fingers crossed>

12. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

1. Select a message above or below and use the "more" button.
    2. Tap on the blue tick to de-select the message
    3. Tap on the empty circle on the post you want to delete.
    4. Delete, Forward etc as required.

This works for point 1 and 2 you mentioned. :)

Edwin

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed, but my point was for the message itself (I don't keep conversations around long so a single message conversation isn't unusual for me). And you'll need to deselect the message used.

Yes, my points are extreme. :) I always think in terms of how to explain it to my mom. It now becomes "select a message above or below the one you want to forward". Yikes!

14. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

Why not just delete the whole conversation in that case?

I agree with you though. What was explained is essentially a work-around, and it shouldn't be necessary.

15. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

um, tap and hold another bubble and you can do whatever you want to any other message.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Why would you delete the conversation when you want to forward a message. :)

You didn't read the entire thread.

Folks I'm not here to bicker. We discussed the non-intuitive hoops to jump through because buttons are evil and the blue word "Contact" is more important than the blue word "Edit" which appears on the previous screen (list of conversations). I'm not sure there's more to say.

17. Tiptizzle, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013

Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

How?

18. C DM, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013

C DM macrumors Westmere

Tap and hold on the message and select more?

19. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I assume you have logged it with Apple? The more instances of the bug being logged the better the chance of it getting fixed quickly. :)

And I agree it is far from intuitive.

Edwin

20. Shuri macrumors 6502

I agree it's not as intuitive as it used to be, but imo the new contact button is more useful than this. I think most of people use it more often than deleting or forwarding messages. (At least I do)

EDIT: And I know you could just tap the time to scroll all the way up, but it was kind of distracting and awkward

21. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Agreed, however the problem is there is no way at all of deleting/forwarding a message with a contact or link without using the workaround I mentioned. That is pretty :(

Edwin

22. GreyOS macrumors 68030

Not to downplay your legitimate annoyance, but personally I use the Contact button way more than I ever delete texts.

23. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I think the problem is not the contacts being available but the fact there is no way of deleting a text with a contact in it unless you have more than one message and use a work around.

It should have the delete/forward options as well as the contacts not instead of.

Edwin

24. GreyOS macrumors 68030

The two are pretty related, because the Contact button occupies a space that an Edit button could. I'm happier with Contact, that's all. BTW if you only have one message you could delete the entire conversation from the conversation list. Yes, yes, mere workarounds that don't solve your problem, but I'm just trying to help.

I agree there's probably a solution that keeps everyone happy. Anyone got an idea or shall we just leave it to Apple? Yeah, I think we'll do the latter...

25. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Yeah I have an idea, it's pretty simple :) Add "More..." to the available options when tapping on a contact or link. I don't have time to make a UI mockup but it's less than a days work to do it right based off my previous UI design work.

Edwin