Why Is There No Native GMail on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Feb 25, 2011.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Simple question, why is there no native GMail app for the iPhone. Is it b/c Google chooses not to develop one or b/c Apple wouldn't allow it in their app store?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What is wrong with the GMail through the Mail App? It works exactly how you would expect an e-mail system work. Also... WHY? If you need full GMail access, use Safari.

TEG

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

Native GMAIL is built into the native Mail app. You can also set up GMAIL as an exchange account using the native mail app, which many report being an excellent choice.

4. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Coming from both Android and BlackBerry, the iPhone has excellent Google syncing options when you set up your Google account as an Exchange account.

5. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Yep. Set up through the Exchange account and it pushes email nicely.

6. jwhite4304 macrumors member

jwhite4304

Agree that the Google functions perform very nicely when you set up Gmail as an exchange account.

Jimbo
    (coming from a Droid)

7. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'm sorry, but nobody here thinks Gmail as an Exchange account can possibly be as good as Gmail as an app for iPhone.

8. kre62 macrumors 68000

I do

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. That is how mine is set up and it works perfectly.

10. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

You must be completely illogical then.

11. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I can say with certainty that my Gmail is more reliable on the iPhone exchange server than it was on my Android phone.

12. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Safari is not as good as a dedicated app because there's no notifications for mail and you can't attach files.

13. BriChi macrumors 6502

I would rather not have another app to handle more mail, just setup gmail as exchange and you have 1 app running all your mail instead of 2, if you have multiple accounts. I have it on mine and it work perfectly and syncs with contacts which is great. Server is m.google.com

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I guess that we are all illogical, and you are the only one that is logical. Exchange and IMAP both work great, in the mail app, and I suppose that you could even set it up as POP, if you wanted to. What features would you like that you can't get with either of those options.

15. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Who uses Safari for Gmail, when you can set Gmail up in the mail app as Exchange or IMAP.

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

How so?

Try to keep in mind that this is your CELLPHONE we are talking about. It's supposed to just bridge the time between your office and home. The iPhone native mail app, set up as an exchange server, more then satisfies every mobile email need a person could want.

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I understand what the OP is talking about, though. If you're a heavy Gmail user, there's no way thru Apple's email app to assign labels, stars, etc. You can move an email to an IMAP folder that corresponds to a Gmail label, but the nice thing about true Gmail labels is that a single email can have more than one.

I could live without the above if there were a way to at least flag an email like one can in the MacOS email app. That would be very useful for me and could tide me over until I opened up Safari on my desktop. Hopefully such a thing is coming to iOS 5 (or 4.5...).

18. walie macrumors 6502a

I HATE how the apple mail client adds "RE:" to every email you reply to. If you have an extended conversation with someone, you'll end up with "RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE:RE" across the subject line of the email

the gmail client is one of the big things i miss from android

19. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I don't have this problem using the Exchange account.

20. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Good point made. Gmail on iOS has a long way to go and since Safari is not a good mobile browser, it's not the best choice to assess full Gmail.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Google seems to thinks so.

Go ahead and get the Google app for the iPhone. Open 'mail' in it and see what it does. It just sends you to Safari. Google apparently thinks that's good enough.

At least, I've never heard of them trying to make a mail app and having it get rejected. Thus I have to assume that they think Safari and the built-in 'Mail' app are the 2 best choices and they see no reason to make a 3rd.

You have to admit that you're in the minority when you're arguing against the actual company that's being affected here.

22. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Uhm, no.. The fact Google mobile app redirects Mail to Safari browser doesn't mean much.. There is no way Apple would allow 3rd party app to replace system Mail app, so Google never bothered with "proper" Gmail app for iOS.

The reason why no 3rd party app can be a proper mail client is because Apple system Mail app has special privileges. Being first party system app - it can run in background, and it can run ActiveSync. No 3rd party mail client would be able to do that, so that's why we'll never see a real Gmail client (with proper label support and all). Chalk it up to the life inside of Apple's walled garden.

23. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I guess it's up to Apple to make the next iOS more app friendly.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But you can make web-kit browser apps.

Why hasn't Google made an app that's basically mobile-g-mail in a browser window but given it push notices and saved states and different viewing modes and stuff like that? They could easily make something that's like gmail in Safari but better.

It should be fine by Apple's rules. The only reason I can think of them not doing that is that they'd prefer people to use the native mail app.

That was my original point. That they think that's good enough, apparently.

25. vistadude macrumors 65816

I don't think Safari is powerful enough to run services like push notifications.

I agree I hate the mail app. It's so basic and unreadable. I pretty much use the gmail through the web browser since it's so much faster to read mail and navigate through folders.