Why is this place still here?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by PowerFullMac, Jan 6, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Now, dont get me wrong, I like this place, but seeing as Apple Insider got closed down, why dont Apple close down all Apple rumor sites? Just wondering...

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

or it could be because arn once helped steve bury a body. ;)

4. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

I think you mean ThinkSecret, AppleInsider hasn't gone anywhere.

ThinkSecret didn't get closed down by Apple either. Apple paid off the site owner to take it down.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Because this site only consolidates existing Apple rumours. Banning MR would be like banning newspapers for reporting information that others have found.

And besides, killing the MR community would not do Apple any favours.

6. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I like rumors as many others do, but the real value of MR lies in the community spirit that exists and knowing that there is a valuable group of members who willingly assist others with questions/problems and share their experiences, not to mention good collection of images, etc.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Arn isn't willing to sell?

Or Apple hasn't offered?

Or Apple knows they can't close down all their fan sites, and it would be stupid to do so.

8. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Appleinsider is definitely still up and running, I was there earlier today.

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

i see this site as a mac forum, with those rumor things on the side. except of course during the times of macworld, wwdc, paris expo, and other apple announcements.

11. 109% macrumors member

109%

I don't even think of this as a rumors site. It's much broader than that, to me anyway. Frankly, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't! Speculating about what's coming down the line is fun for a while but it gets old pretty quickly. The friendly buying advice, set-up and desktop pics, etc., are the meat of MacRumors as far as I'm concerned.

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Quoting this to be sure it's not lost amidst posts. ;) MR also has quite a few threads about this.

13. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Ok then ThinkSecret! And I thought Apple sued them... As a aside, I was checking Mac Rumors at the Apple Store and they kicked me out!

14. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Really? Wow. Which store was that? I've been on MR many times from both the Regent Street and Bluewater Apple Stores without anything being mentioned!

15. BKKbill macrumors 6502

BKKbill

Emmm. Are you sure that it was just checking out MR or is there more.

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

MmmmHmmm, and I'm Stevie Nick's long lost son.

17. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It was the Bluewater Apple Store, I was just checking the main MR page and a guy told me I wasent allowed on that website, and he kicked me out!!!

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Maybe you were getting to close to the truth.

19. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

MR is till up because Apple support couldn't handle all the calls! This place is like that call center you always get transferred to in India, but everybody here speaks a language you can understand and you actually get help with your problems.:D

Nothing against folks from India, I just can't ever understand some folks on phone.:eek:

20. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's still here

Smart business practices. As long as readers follow the forum rules we should be safe.

21. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

Answering your original question: MacRumors is the single largest Apple-dedicated website in existence (by traffic, other than apple.com). We're here to stay for the foreseeable future.

As for them kicking you out because of viewing MacRumors. That is definitely not their policy. I have let it slip that I am an editor at MacRumors before, and they haven't kicked me out. Several employees have even admitted that they check the site themselves. I've also checked out MacRumors at Apple stores.

The only site Apple has issues with is Myspace and other social networking sites. People had been caught spending hours just doing Myspace stuff and not being interested in buying a computer. So, they supposedly blocked Myspace.

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Just a personal opinion, but I think Apple tends to wink at rumors sites, and accept the good (heightened enthusiasm about new and upcoming products) with the bad (pointing out Apple mistakes, speculation that if true may spoil some of the surprise of an announcement). I don't think our speculation or our reporting of circulating rumors helps Apple's competitors beat Apple at its own game.

MacRumors sometimes breaks stories, but is more often a collection point (clearinghouse) for news from everywhere on the Mac web. MacRumors does not ask people to break nondisclosure agreements, does not solicit Apple employees for inside information, does not pay for leaks, removes information when necessary due to a legal issue, and tries to be a "good citizen" in the Mac world.

All of that has helped establish our position and has served us well.

23. tveric macrumors 6502

I'd like to hear how much it would take Apple to pay Arn to get him to shut down the site. My guess - I would hope it would take at least $100,000 or more. But I may be way off.

I'm not looking for a hard number, but just put us in the ballpark. $50K? 500 K? a Million? Any round number will do.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

^^^Last I recall, MR was worth ~$5 million. I believe there was a story about it a while back.

25. adrake86 macrumors regular