Why is wifi weaker on 2.0 than previous versions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Ever since upgrading to 2.0 my wifi signal has become a lot weaker. I can't see nearly as many wifi hotspots as before and in places where I used to get wifi, I can't even get a signal. Why would they do this in a firmware update? Was it worse when you could get a stronger signal? Anyone else notice this?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've noticed imperfect Wi-Fi reception on 2.0, yes... but since I never got the chance to test 1.1.4 before I upgraded to 2.0 (I just bought my touch yesterday), I can't say for certain if it's worse or not.

3. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I really can't say I have noticed any difference... in fact, there SHOULDN'T be any difference (better or worse); the hardware's the same.

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

There is a difference. Where I am sitting right now, I used to be able to see a wifi hotspot... now I have to go to a different room and it's even weak in there too.. I used to get way better reception.

Also, this happened the INSTANT that I upgraded to 2.0. I noticed it right away... it's not a coincidence.

5. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

That truly is unusual. To me, it seems like there SHOULDN'T be a change, but if there is, there is.

Has anyone else noticed a change?

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yeah, a little bit weaker, but still good enough....

7. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Once again, thats interesting. The main reason I'm replying is to laugh at your signature though :D I swear, the next time someone calls it an "iTouch"... :mad::mad::mad:

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I'm experiencing the same wi-fi issues.. Mine also began immediately following the 2.0 upgrade.. It's weird, but it is definitely real.. I can't figure it out either, but all I know is that I can't use my iPhone in wi-fi mode when I'm in my bedroom at night anymore.. But in the same location my laptop is getting a full signal..

9. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

ive become much less adamant about it, i just leave it in my sig... i do still find it annoying when someone call it that, but much less

10. cakbar macrumors regular

Try resetting your Network settings, and see if that makes a difference. I had the same problem and doing this seemed to help.

11. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I did that while trying to troubleshoot a different problem. It did help, but only temporarily.

12. ansalmo macrumors regular

I've definitely noticed my iPhone appearing to have reduced wifi reception with the new firmware - it would consistently show full strength in my house before the upgrade, but often drops down to a single 'bar' now. I only had 2/3rds strength displaying when I was stood right next to the router a couple of nights ago :confused:

13. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Which iPhone do you have? The 3G's plastic back is supposed to cause better reception.

14. ansalmo macrumors regular

I have what Apple will probably soon refer to as an "iPhone Classic" :)

15. robecq macrumors regular

robecq

When I have my ipod touch and iphone 3G next to each other, the touch can find much more wifi hotspots than the phone. Over 10 compared to just 2 or 3.:confused::confused::confused:

16. csbeltram macrumors newbie

Same here! I just bought my iPhone 3G hoping to be able to use the wifi in my office at work just like my Touch. No such luck. Side by side my Touch (still on 1.1.4) can see 9 networks, 1 of which is my companies wifi. My iPhone 3G sees 1 network and can't even find my companies network if I search through "other".:mad:

17. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

I know exactly what you mean. This is how it goes:

"I just got an iTouch yesterday! Look!"

Me: "You got what? Come again? I don't understand... do you mean an iPod Touch?"

"Yeah, an iTouch!"

Me"::mad::"

18. danimal99 macrumors regular

Does it really matter tho? :) (I call mine an iPod, but I might have once or twice called it an iTouch while talking about it to someone.)

It just doesn't seem like THAT big a deal.

19. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

BLASPHEMY!! jk But back on topic, this may seem weird but I find I have BETTER wifi connection with my ipod. I notice now when I am upstairs (router downstairs) I usually get full connection as opposed to 1.1.4 I would barely ever get a good connection and if I did connect it would be too weak to even hold it for long. Basically, it used to be a crap-shoot but now its solid throughout my entire house.

20. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Consider this: I've got devices with FM radios that allow a reduced sensitivity option when searching for stations. It saves battery, and keeps your channel list filled with only strong channels.

One of Apple's goals was to improve battery life in the new iPhone. They might have gotten a little more life by turning down the sensitivity of the wifi radio. Of course that change would have affected the Touch as well.

Just a theory.

21. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Not a bad one, though.

22. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I recharge my (1st gen) iPhone next to the bed at night…
    Before upgrading to 2.0 I would get instant wifi reception in the bedroom when checking mail etc.

Now, after upgrading to 2.0 I have to walk into the living room (where the router is sat on the desk) before it picks up again.
    Then it is fine all the way into the garden. But it seems to not recognise the wifi signal from "cold" so to speak.

Probably something in that.

23. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Once you get the reception, it holds until you get to the bedroom?

24. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No. I have to get near the router to get reception and then it is OK no matter where I go in the house (or garden).

25. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

That's really unusual.

When you check your WiFi settings before you go to the living room, does the network even come up in your possible networks?