Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
iTouch is 6 letters long, and that's unlucky. :mad: iPod and Touch together is 9, and as an upside-down 6 it's very lucky. :D
Shuffle is 7. Nano is 4. iPod alone is 4. Classic again is 7.

They considered iTch, but threw it out for causing more giggles than iTouch. :eek:

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Because Apple had built a very valuable brand called 'iPod' and they wanted to use that famous and popular name on their new product.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Because Apple had built a very valuable brand called 'iPod' and they wanted to use that famous and popular name on their new product.

Well that's easy to understand but it so much more than an ipod (such as running apps) making it, not necessarily like an iphone without the phone, but almost its own product line.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
Because it's a ridiculous name that says (to me) that it's a touchscreen. It should highlight that it's an iPod.

Also there's a software suite called iTouch that IIRC predates the iPod. Certainly the iPod Touch and iPhone.

That doesn't always make much difference. For example, there was already an "iPhone" before Apple's touchscreen device. It simply depends on how happy the original name owners are to part with it and how much money it takes to make them happy. :)

lag1090

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2007
NJ
By not including "iPod" in the name, Apple would be diluting the iPod brand.

The iPod Touch is not significant, in my opinion, to warrant a separation from the iPod line. The iPhone isn't even completely separated, being as the names are similar ("iPod" and "iTouch" are dissimilar, aside from the preceding "i".)

As others before said, "iTouch" just sounds bad.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Because it's a ridiculous name that says (to me) that it's a touchscreen. It should highlight that it's an iPod.

Also there's a software suite called iTouch that IIRC predates the iPod. Certainly the iPod Touch and iPhone.

I don't understand that since they have the shuffle and nano in the like.
Why not just call it Touch.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Well that's easy to understand but it so much more than an ipod (such as running apps) making it, not necessarily like an iphone without the phone, but almost its own product line.

Yes, I agree. Perhaps, Apple wasn't sure how the new product would do in terms of sales so they borrowed a little help within the family. Looking back, they didn't need any help. iTouch sounds better and also suits better than iPod Touch for 'iPod Touch'.

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Yeah iTouch would be a great idea. Why iTouch? Oh, well because you touch it of course. Maybe Apple should just name any product that you can touch an iTouch. Right? Right? MacBook Pro - iTouch! Keyboard? iTouch!

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Do people reference them as ipod shufle/ipod nano or simply shuffle or nano?

The question was why isn't the iPod touch called iTouch, not whether people call it that or not... Similarly the other iPods are called iPod Shuffle and iPod nano, whether people call them that or not is different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.