why it suck that we can now turn off auto-correct...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Nov 27, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

now since 2.2 we have the ability to turn off auto-correct without hacks. the problem with this is that these forums are already bad enough with people not knowing how to type and now well see more and more errors on the internet. i can always tell when someone doesnt have auto-correct on because they type like this: "so thr other dsy i was at rhe store ans i couldnt beleive how muxh money it wqs for a new itouch!"

i wish apple forced people to have auto-correction for english because it makes the internet a little bit cleaner and everyone sounds a little bit smarter with it on. by the way, posting this without auto-correct was pretty hard and slow. ugh.

on the positive side, spending enough time with auto-correction off will probably train you to type more accurately. hmm.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Pot meet kettle. Your post was littered with poor grammar and punctuation. Maybe you should "learn to type" as you so eloquently put it.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Do you mean "why it sucks" and "now we'll see more and more errors"?

4. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

im not a genius and i dont know everything, but auto-correct helps me spell words better as well as puts apostrophies in words like dont and cant. i was also not paying much attention to grammar and spelling to further prove my point.

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You should enable spell checker on your Mac

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

So your point was that not having auto correct turned on will lower the quality of posts on the internet? While your post which was presumably made with auto correct turned on was littered with spelling mistakes, poor punctuation and grammar.

Right.. I think it is safe to say that there will be absolutely no change in the quality of posts on the internet due to this.

7. rumourguy macrumors member

I think it will be a question of what one hopes to express. If it is turned off it will make it so people can express literal thoughts easier, which can be a good or bad thing

8. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

And this proves what is wrong with the world

Has anybody got any ambition to be able to read and write correctly without using a gadget ?

The whole world has gone lazy

When the auto correct uses 'English' correctly I might turn it back on.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

humm, I don't know what to make of this. I could see the point of this thread if Apple disabled auto correct.

Here is the deal. This is why I am not a fan of auto correct. I was texting back and forth with my boss. He gave me some good new and I replied with "niffer" as in "nifferific". Now maybe I should have not used two "f"s, but hey it's not a real word anyway. Auto correct, as awesome as it is replaced the "F"s with "G"s. Yeah, didn't go over to well with the boss.

10. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Sorry to go off topic slightly, Dont know if I am showing my age here

What does niffer/nifferific mean ?

11. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Hmmm... I try typing in niffer and auto-correct doesn't change the F's to G's. In fact, it doesn't suggest any other word.

How odd :rolleyes:

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Like spiffy, fantastic.

I think Apple corrected this in one of the updates. A few months ago I tried to show a friend and it did nothing.

13. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I have to call BS on this, at least if you are claiming the auto-correct happened on a iPhone/iPod touch.

At no point when typing 'niffer' into my iPod does that suggestion come up. Nor does it auto-complete that word if you type anything up to 'nigge' either.

Furthermore I don't think your boss would like 'niffer' very much given the definitions I was able to find.

Urban Dictionary says:
    1.) niffer - one who grabs or touches anothers ass during games of tag or during stretches, or even lunch time at school

2)niffer - When a woman's underwear, usually a G-string, is pulled up so that the lips of her flower concave around the undergarment.

3)niffer - this word has many definitions, basically it means the two extremes of good and bad.
    1. adj; super ****ing cool.
    2. n; c-grah
    3. n, adj; *****
    4. v; acting in a super cool manner or in a super lame, ***** like manner.

4)niffer - some one who sniffs a lot, to get the snot out of their nose.

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Oh damn you got me. Ever since auto correct stole my woman from me I have been out to get it. Read the post above yours. To spell it out more clearly, This was maybe a month or so after the iPhone release. It has been address by Apple. OK, It's called an example.

And your getting your information from urban dictionary. Great!

15. Stepper macrumors regular

Why would you want to go on a forum from you iPhone anyway....:confused:

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's addicting. Nothing better to do when driving:eek:

17. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

auto correct is awesome!! as long as u hit the general area u can fly through a paragraph in seconds! much faster for typing IMO... especially when it starts to learn words u use a lot.

i hate the auto fill part of it though!! someone asks if i wanna hang out or something i say "Na" (sounds nicer than just No? lol) and it auto fills and puts "Naked"... damn iPhone i didnt want her to get that!!

18. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I was just about to post the same thing.

19. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Lol!!

You're absolutely right about his errors... I read a lot of his posts and I think he posts just to see his name on the boards. He does post some good info here and there but for the most part, he's just a rambler. His post here was chock full of errors. I think it's pretty damn funny that he's coming down on people about typing errors when he made so many errors himself.

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

21. megapopular macrumors 6502a

In the future, please pay less attention to grammar and spelling so we don't have to get such foolish posts, K?
    ;)

22. garybUK Guest

garybUK

When I had my iPhone 1st Generation, it was really annoying how Apple deemed every user to be American and tried changing my British words into American spelling, even the Dictionaries in OSX are American!!! :mad:

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

After all the complaints we saw about how the iPhone wouldn't let users disable autocorrect, it took less than a week after the feature was enabled for someone to complain that people can disable it.

Just for that, I hope the iPhone NEVER gets copy/paste or MMS. :D

25. svndmvn Guest

did you make sure your keyboard was English (UK) and not just English or was this added on the second Gen?