Why Jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by HD Fboy, May 3, 2010.

1. HD Fboy macrumors member

Could someone please explain why I would want to jailbreak an iPhone or an iPad.

What are the advantages? Risks?

Thanks!!

2. tacoshell macrumors regular

Root access with super user privileges. Its your device, why shouldn't you have it????

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

3G Unrestrictor for iPad (and for the iPhone for some people).

If I'm getting similar speeds between 3G and Wifi then I SHALL have similar functionality! None of the throttling crap and 10mb download limits ;)

4. Dorfdad macrumors 6502

Categories alone is work jailbreaking, add in background application usage and that's over the top..

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Custom skins and themes.

Tethering.

Multitasking.

6. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

There are a couple programs that might make jailbreaking a good idea. I know I would love to get the wireless hotspot program for my iphone. I also would love to have retro video game emulators for my iphone, and especially my ipad... imagine playing old school mario bros on the large ipad screen.

Yet, as of now, the few things that jailbreaking would allow me to do isn't enough to go through the trouble, and have my ipad much more buggy and a much lower battery life. It also can void your warranty, which for iPad users would be a bad thing, since everyone is still under warranty until next April.

7. RMXO macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking isn't for everyone but it is easy done if you research ahead of time. Always back up your iphone/iPad first to be on the safe side. I just JB'd my iPad & it took under 2 minutes using Spirit. There is a thread about it in this forum.

JB lets you have more control of your iphone/ipad.

8. jerkstore99 macrumors member

This is completely wrong. Having to "go through the trouble" involves one download, plugging in your device, and one click. In 20 seconds it is done. And jailbreaking won't void a warranty because restoring it is just one more click away.

9. Pared macrumors 65816

If you have to ask if jailbreaking is worth it, it most likely isn't for you.

You will deal with bugs, freezes and random glitches that will probably end up in you restoring your device.

10. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

yeah..its def not for someone that doesnt know what it does...i suggest to read up on jailbreaking on the internet before attempting to pwn a device.

11. mizvalorie macrumors member

This is not necessarily true. I've had one issue where I had to restore my phone. It took all of 5 mins and jailbreaking again was easy. Especially with Spirit. Takes 20 seconds at MOST.

I am not jailbreaking my ipad as I have no need for multitasking but I have jailbroke my iphone so I can tether to my ipad.

12. DaneGuy macrumors 6502

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

All of which will become null this year.

14. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

This.

Multitasking is the big one for me. If Apple does it right in 4.0, then the need for jailbreaking will be diminished for me, but in the meantime, this is an essential feature, IMO.

15. MrDeeds macrumors newbie

+2

3G Unrestrictor and Backgrounder are the only apps I've installed but they've made my iPad 3G so much more functional.

16. vertigo78 macrumors regular

If you need to ask, dont do it. Wait a few weeks before it gets out of the beta stages.

17. yalag macrumors 65816

90% of the people jailbreak to crack apps, how can u not know that?

18. iserian macrumors 6502

It's what all the cool kids are doing -:apple:

19. Pared macrumors 65816

Of course you can. Just don't be upset when it offers nothing to the topic and someone corrects you.

20. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I paid for all my apps and plan to keep doing so. This is why I get so pissed when dev's play around and don't update their ****. If they listened to their customers like a few dev's on here already do, I'm sure the percentage would drop.

21. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure that's correct, since I've heard there are files on your iphone or ipad that can show an Applecare person that it was jailbroken, even after it was restored.

Also, the trouble can be reinstalling all your programs and music. At least when I jailbroke my iphone, it erased all the music, photos, and apps and I had to reinstall them all back into the iphone from the backup, which for some people can take a long time depending on how much info they have. So its not just 20 seconds and you're done.

22. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

The new jailbreak does NOT erase any of your music or apps.

It really does take literally less than a minute to apply it and you're done.

EDIT: I just remembered, some people have had it erase their photos, but that's not too big of a deal. At least you don't have to start from scratch like the old jailbreaks made you do.

23. Olaf.cc macrumors newbie

SBSettings and Backgrounder are reason enough for me. (Waiting for Kirkae)

24. Pared macrumors 65816

It only erases the photos in your Camera Roll, not your synced photos.

25. DKatri macrumors 6502

When the iPod touch and the iPhone first came out I was really into the jailbreak scene but, I got tired of the constant bugs and patches, and having to back up and restore my iPod all the time. In the end when OS 2.0 came around and brought the app store with it I just went straight.