Why Jailbreak?

HD Fboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
Could someone please explain why I would want to jailbreak an iPhone or an iPad.

What are the advantages? Risks?

Thanks!!

tacoshell

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Could someone please explain why I would want to jailbreak an iPhone or an iPad.

What are the advantages? Risks?

Thanks!!
Root access with super user privileges. Its your device, why shouldn't you have it????

danpass

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2009
Miami, FL
3G Unrestrictor for iPad (and for the iPhone for some people).

If I'm getting similar speeds between 3G and Wifi then I SHALL have similar functionality! None of the throttling crap and 10mb download limits ;)

Dorfdad

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
Categories alone is work jailbreaking, add in background application usage and that's over the top..

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
There are a couple programs that might make jailbreaking a good idea. I know I would love to get the wireless hotspot program for my iphone. I also would love to have retro video game emulators for my iphone, and especially my ipad... imagine playing old school mario bros on the large ipad screen.

Yet, as of now, the few things that jailbreaking would allow me to do isn't enough to go through the trouble, and have my ipad much more buggy and a much lower battery life. It also can void your warranty, which for iPad users would be a bad thing, since everyone is still under warranty until next April.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
Jailbreaking isn't for everyone but it is easy done if you research ahead of time. Always back up your iphone/iPad first to be on the safe side. I just JB'd my iPad & it took under 2 minutes using Spirit. There is a thread about it in this forum.

JB lets you have more control of your iphone/ipad.

jerkstore99

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
Yet, as of now, the few things that jailbreaking would allow me to do isn't enough to go through the trouble, and have my ipad much more buggy and a much lower battery life. It also can void your warranty, which for iPad users would be a bad thing, since everyone is still under warranty until next April.
This is completely wrong. Having to "go through the trouble" involves one download, plugging in your device, and one click. In 20 seconds it is done. And jailbreaking won't void a warranty because restoring it is just one more click away.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
If you have to ask if jailbreaking is worth it, it most likely isn't for you.

You will deal with bugs, freezes and random glitches that will probably end up in you restoring your device.

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego

You will deal with bugs, freezes and random glitches that will probably end up in you restoring your device.
yeah..its def not for someone that doesnt know what it does...i suggest to read up on jailbreaking on the internet before attempting to pwn a device.

mizvalorie

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010

This is not necessarily true. I've had one issue where I had to restore my phone. It took all of 5 mins and jailbreaking again was easy. Especially with Spirit. Takes 20 seconds at MOST.

I am not jailbreaking my ipad as I have no need for multitasking but I have jailbroke my iphone so I can tether to my ipad.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Custom skins and themes.

Tethering.

Multitasking.
This.

Multitasking is the big one for me. If Apple does it right in 4.0, then the need for jailbreaking will be diminished for me, but in the meantime, this is an essential feature, IMO.

MrDeeds

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
danpass said:
3G Unrestrictor for iPad (and for the iPhone for some people).

If I'm getting similar speeds between 3G and Wifi then I SHALL have similar functionality! None of the throttling crap and 10mb download limits ;)
+2

3G Unrestrictor and Backgrounder are the only apps I've installed but they've made my iPad 3G so much more functional.

vertigo78

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
If you need to ask, dont do it. Wait a few weeks before it gets out of the beta stages.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
90% of the people jailbreak to crack apps, how can u not know that?

I paid for all my apps and plan to keep doing so. This is why I get so pissed when dev's play around and don't update their ****. If they listened to their customers like a few dev's on here already do, I'm sure the percentage would drop.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
This is completely wrong. Having to "go through the trouble" involves one download, plugging in your device, and one click. In 20 seconds it is done. And jailbreaking won't void a warranty because restoring it is just one more click away.
I'm not sure that's correct, since I've heard there are files on your iphone or ipad that can show an Applecare person that it was jailbroken, even after it was restored.

Also, the trouble can be reinstalling all your programs and music. At least when I jailbroke my iphone, it erased all the music, photos, and apps and I had to reinstall them all back into the iphone from the backup, which for some people can take a long time depending on how much info they have. So its not just 20 seconds and you're done.

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Also, the trouble can be reinstalling all your programs and music. At least when I jailbroke my iphone, it erased all the music, photos, and apps and I had to reinstall them all back into the iphone from the backup, which for some people can take a long time depending on how much info they have. So its not just 20 seconds and you're done.
The new jailbreak does NOT erase any of your music or apps.

It really does take literally less than a minute to apply it and you're done.

EDIT: I just remembered, some people have had it erase their photos, but that's not too big of a deal. At least you don't have to start from scratch like the old jailbreaks made you do.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
EDIT: I just remembered, some people have had it erase their photos, but that's not too big of a deal. At least you don't have to start from scratch like the old jailbreaks made you do.
It only erases the photos in your Camera Roll, not your synced photos.

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
When the iPod touch and the iPhone first came out I was really into the jailbreak scene but, I got tired of the constant bugs and patches, and having to back up and restore my iPod all the time. In the end when OS 2.0 came around and brought the app store with it I just went straight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.