Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
90% of the people jailbreak to crack apps, how can u not know that?

95% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Personally, I know tons of jailbreakers, not one (nor I) use it for cracked apps. Sheesh.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Root access with super user privileges. Its your device, why shouldn't you have it????

Uh, because many (most?) people will never ever ever use that access making it not only pointless but also opening up a security hole? Same logic that says you don't give users admin rights on desktop OS's unless there's a clear and obvious reason for them to have it. Just a thought....

To the OP, Jailbreaking basically gives you more access than Apple provides to the device and the OS. As a result you can install additional software including programs that Apple don't approve for use via the app store. Some of this software can bring you additional functionality such as multi-tasking and tethering.

However all jailbreak methods are basically unsupported (by Apple) hacks. While they've been getting better and easier over the years there is always the chance that something will go wrong. This can result in your device behaving strangely or require you to do additional work to restore the device to a working condition. In the worst case scenario there is the potential for a jailbreak program to break your device to the point it cannot be restored. This is relatively rare these days but the risk is there and must be mentioned as Apple will usually refuse to cover this machine under warranty (rightly so IMHO). This also applies to taking a device in to an Apple store for the attentions of a genius, they can refuse to work on a device that has had jailbreak installed even if the device itself is in working condition.

In addition a device that has had a Jailbreak applied is more than likely going to struggle to take official Apple updates without additional work on your part and/or waiting for someone to release a hacked version of that update. Some new functionality you may gain can come with significant performance or battery life penalties or simply be less reliable than the default OS.

Basically, if you're even considering Jailbreaking your device read up on not just the process but the various benefits available. If you do not see anything that you feel you MUST have then don't do it. If you decide to go ahead do your homework, find out how to back up any important files on your device, how to restore if things go wrong and check for any evidence of problems others have had. Most importantly check that there's no obvious security holes left behind by whatever process you're using - last year a significant number of devices were compromised when their owners performed a jailbreak then didn't change the default SSH password that the hack installed.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
95% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Personally, I know tons of jailbreakers, not one (nor I) use it for cracked apps. Sheesh.

I would be in that group.

That doesn't use cracked apps, not the individuals you know. :p

I love being able to have iPad-native looking apps now. Not all work, but BeeJive and the Remote app are two wonderful examples.

HD Fboy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
After review this is not for me. No advantage for my usage. Thanks so much for the comments.

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Looks like most people have listed the advantages.

Disadvantages include:
- You make your system open to viruses and malware. Hackers can steal your information without you knowing about it
- You lose the battery life
- Risk losing support from apple if anything goes wrong with your iPad

Could someone please explain why I would want to jailbreak an iPhone or an iPad.

What are the advantages? Risks?

Thanks!!

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Looks like most people have listed the advantages.

Disadvantages include:
- You make your system open to viruses and malware. Hackers can steal your information without you knowing about it
- You lose the battery life
- Risk losing support from apple if anything goes wrong with your iPad

FUD

If you install SSH AND THEN not change your default password, then you open yourself up. No hacking or virus needed, altho a malicious program can be crafted to take advantage of the fact that "you" forgot to change your password. :)

I've never seen any effect on my battery life in 3yrs and 5 different iPhones.

No risk of losing support as a simple restore bring it back to a state where Apple will support you.

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Why would SSH matter ? Anyone plant a trojan or virus into any of those "Unofficial" apps that you download from the internet.

How would you know what the effect on your battery life would be if you have mostly used a jailbroken phone ?

FUD

If you install SSH AND THEN not change your default password, then you open yourself up. No hacking or virus needed, altho a malicious program can be crafted to take advantage of the fact that "you" forgot to change your password. :)

I've never seen any effect on my battery life in 3yrs and 5 different iPhones.

No risk of losing support as a simple restore bring it back to a state where Apple will support you.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Why would SSH matter ? Anyone plant a trojan or virus into any of those "Unofficial" apps that you download from the internet.

How would you know what the effect on your battery life would be if you have mostly used a jailbroken phone ?

Because that's how they get in? If you download from reputable 3rd party vendors, there will be no trojan as they are not downloaded form teh Internet, but from repositories that are Cydia standard or that you add yourself. Those of us with some technical knowledge would figure that out quickly and spread the word.

As for battery, my wife has a "vanilla" iPhone and gets the same battery life as me? Not to mention I get similarly rated battery power that Apple reports as standard on the device. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have not done it myself yet but it would be for custom themes (not really a huge must for me right now) and multitasking because we know Apple will give it to us this Fall but their idea of Fall is usually end of Fall just before the first day of winter.

90% of the people jailbreak to crack apps, how can u not know that?
:rolleyes:
90% of what you say is wrong.

Seriously. Some of you really need to get your heads out of your butts when it comes to jailbreaking. A person who has a jailbroken iPad or iPhone does not necessarily have cracked apps on their device.

virx

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
SBSettings with a VPN switch is the main reason for me, it is so much more convenient to turn VPN on whenever you need without closing current app and going to settings. Backgrounder is reason number 2. I also hope someone will make an app for cydia to copy files to/from SD cards using camera kit adapter :)

Never installed any cracked apps, if I can afford an iPad i can also afford a few apps, and I do not really need too many.

OGDaniel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
Arizona
I secretly hope all those jailbreakers' iPods and iPads get bricked, and they're screwed. I don't jailbreak because even though free apps could be available, when that sh*t needs repair I know I can count on Apple to stick by me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I secretly hope all those jailbreakers' iPods and iPads get bricked, and they're screwed. I don't jailbreak because even though free apps could be available, when that sh*t needs repair I know I can count on Apple to stick by me.

Holy crap really?
My phone is jailbroken because it provides and has provided functionality that Apple either doesn't give us or gives us in small doses during times where we applaud the narcissist on state as though he invented things like copy/paste.

I don't have a single app on my iPhone that I did not pay for so really, hopefully you can figure out that a jailbroken phone is not a breeding ground for hacked apps. And FYI, Apple has always fixed my devices providing they were within their warranties, jailbroken or not.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

I secretly hope you...ah well, I can't say that here. :)

It's near impossible to actually brick an iPhone/iPad/iPod.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007

Ignorance. The functionality provided via jailbreak cannot be disputed.

You just have to know what you're doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.