Why??? jerks on ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoolaine, Jan 2, 2009.

1. zoolaine macrumors newbie

So what is the thrill of creating new identities on ebay to bid on iphones???????????????????? I just don't get it.

2. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

im guessing you are trying to sell an iphone on ebay?

3. zoolaine thread starter macrumors newbie

Sold one to a buyer with 0 feedback that made his account a couple of days previously. As soon as the auction ended he sent me an email wanting to know how soon I could ship it and since I told him he actually had to PAY for it first haven't heard another word. My listing got 33 bids and I think only 3 bidders had 20 or more for their feedback. So frustrating, do these idiots actually think this is fun or are they hoping someone will send them the phone before they pay?

4. pintnight macrumors 6502

Just put a statement that you will only accept bids from bidders that has more than 10 positive feedback.

5. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Most people on eBay do not know how to read either!! It is so annoying and I understand.
    What I did on my auctions is put a "buyer requirements". It is under the selling options when you are listing your item. It helps out significantly...I have had almost none non-paying bidders since i have done that. Also, a 2nd chance option also works too.
    good luck!

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Get used to it. When i was selling iPhones, half of the listings won were non payers.

And eBay charges you once the auction is over, so then you have to claim a non payment. eBay and PayPal are a huge joke.

7. zoolaine thread starter macrumors newbie

But does that actually prevent these people from bidding on it? What if someone with a 2 feedback wins???????? Can I just say it's not valid, will ebay still charge my the fee to sell the phone? I am not a huge ebay user - I think my rating is 68. I have sold 5 or 6 things on ebay and have never had a problem until now. I am thinking of just using gazelle or one of those sites

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

There is no setting for that, but you can delete the persons bid.

9. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

had a very similar experience when I tried to sell my old MacBook on ebay... :(

10. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Just don't use eBay. It's so crappy these days, about 90% of everything is a time waster/scam in some shape or form. I've only had one good experience on eBay, out of around 20.

11. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Actually there is. Browse around in your seller preferences in "My Ebay" and there is an option to prevent 0 feedback bidders, as well as only allow bidders in your country, etc.

12. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

He said with people with 2 feedback.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

To insure they get "what they want"; however, they go to lengths sometimes that beyond human thought and right into idiocracy.

Sorry for strong terms, but sometimes its true.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The same reason some guy backed his truck into me, causing $500+ damage, then lied about who was at fault to the cop who proceeded to give ME the ticket. Because some people are arseholes and will find a special, special place in hell.

15. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem selling my iPhone on eBay. I found the best solution for my problem by making it a buy it now listing with immediate payment required...that way the item is still available until the person actually sends you payment via Paypal. Hope this helps.

16. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

I had the same problem trying to sell my old iPhone, all was well until 30 seconds to the end of the auction, some jack ass with 0 everything bids and wins.....

17. markgamber macrumors 6502

Trying to sell any electronics on ebay brings the half-witted scammers out of the woodwork. When I sell anything, I always state that it's PayPal ONLY, USA bidders ONLY (since that's where I am) and if you don't meet those two criteria and bid, I WILL turn you over to EBay fraud dept. Given that, I've never had a problem and I've never not sold anything because of it. I get the usual scam mail sent directly to me, not via EBay (which also gets sent to EBay's fraud dept), but I don't recall ever having an obviously fraudulent bid.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The same special level of Hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

19. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Theres only one way of selling phones on eBay, and that is to have a buy it now auction (maybe with best offers?) and to have immediate payment through paypal as a requirement. That way, the auction won't end untill the money is in your paypal account.

20. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Huzzah! A firefly fan! How I miss that show :(

21. KyPosey macrumors regular

KyPosey

I tried to sell apple stuff on facebook and people would always try and scam me. I dont use ebay at all anymore...its so annoying! I would much rather use local car forums than anything.

22. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

Yeah. I made the mistake of doing a buy it now and forgetting to put immediate payment required. A guy bought my iPhone and took his sweet time paying me while trying to flip my phone for a profit. My hands were tied :mad:.

After he finally paid me (I guess someone bought it), I took my sweet time shipping it out to him. He even sent me an email begging me to ship it :cool:.

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I don't think this is good to do either. What about someone who really does want to by an iPhone and who intends on paying yet they have no feedback? They have to start out somewhere you know. Everyone started out with 0 feedback at one time.

24. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

That's a good point, but who wants to take the chance these days? eBay is definitely more in favor of the buyer when something goes wrong, so you're better off not taking the risk.

25. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I think you can actually set bidding rules, that way certain feedbacks cant bid.