Why June 24?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carebearsx3, Jun 13, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

It seems you Apple fanboys will take anything El Jobso says and never question it. ;)

Why the 24th? It's not even a Friday, and is further than the presumed 18th launch. Anyone have an idea?

2. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Who cares!? Or better yet...why do you?

3. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Gives them more time to build launch day stock maybe.
    Thursday gives them time to deal with any issues that arrive on their end without having to have people come in on the weekend. Saves the employees stress, and saves Apple from paying OT.

5. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Why Thursday? Weird. :confused:

6. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

I care only because the anticipation has gotten to meh. :p

7. mac jones macrumors 68040

Maybe it was supposed to be a Friday and somebody goofed

ooops

8. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Yeah, somebody has surely goofed. Because it was supposed to be Friday, June 18th. Dammit.

9. tnisatard macrumors 6502

well i would imagine that they only did it a week after the conference last year because the 3GS was pretty much the same device as the 3G with minor upgrades

so thats why they were able to put it out that fast, but this year, its a completely new device

and as for a thursday, no clue

10. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

It is towards the end of the school year, and just before people start leaving to go on vacation. Plus, it is probably easier to get a Thursday off of work than a Friday! ;)

I think it is a good strategy because from past experience, they are not going to release the phone before the new operating system, or on the same day (which was a mess). The new operating system still has kinks to work out and needs to be available to developers first. This is coming out two weeks after the keynote and right before the new iPhone.

11. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I have no clue, but I DO wonder what the "fanboy" deal has to do with anything. Maybe the date is based on when their distribution channels were able to accommodate large shipments.

12. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Because Grown Ups opens in theaters on the 25th and I told Jobs, in an email, that I really wanted to take my new iphone 4 to the movie. He emailed back and said, "anything for you pal." So there. Now you know the answer. :p

13. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

Maybe Steve likes Jack Bauer :)

14. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I think the real "Apple fanboys" are the ones who pick at and question those minuscule details that don't affect the product at all:rolleyes:

But really, why NOT the 24th?

15. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Also, in addition to this:
    Maybe it gives them an extra day for a longer launch "weekend" than they would have if released on a Friday.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I'm fine with that :)

17. LFSimon macrumors regular

LFSimon

It's like a weird date isn't it. I've wondered about lots of these dates. Did you ever wonder why they signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4 and not July 1 or maybe the 10th? What was so special about the 4th? Do you realize if they signed it on July 1st that we might have had a 4 day holiday this year?

And then there is Thanksgiving! Why do you think it is on a Thursday? Why would they do that? Why not a Sunday or even a Saturday? Really Thursday makes no sense.
    I have to admit that I do love it when Thanksgiving is on a Thursday because then we get Good Friday off!

All these dates are just so weird - I can't believe they pick them the way they do.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

maybe one of these! really who cares. do we need to micro analyzes everything Apple does.

June 24
    Holidays & Observances - June 24, 2010 (Thursday):

* U.F.O. Day - First documented UFO sighting on this day in 1947 near Washington's Cascade Mountains.
    * St. Jean Baptiste Day (Quebec National Day)
    o www.pch.gc.ca/special/canada/11/baptiste_e.cfm

Celebrity Birthdays June 24th:

Anniversaries of Deaths - June 24th:

* Jack Dempsey, 1895 (Heavyweight boxing champion 1919-1926)
    * Mick Fleetwood, 1942 (Musician - drummer - Fleetwood Mac)
    * Bruce Johnston, 1944 (Musician - Beach Boys)
    * Michele Lee, 1942, Actress (played Karen on Knots Landing plus other roles in movies, TV, etc.)

* Grover Cleveland, 22nd and 24th President of the United States, died on June 24, 1908 at the age of 71. He was born in 1885.
    * Jackie Gleason, Actor, died on June 24, 1987 at the age of 71
    * Brian Keith, Actor, committed suicide on June 24, 1997.
    * Ken Washington, Actor - played Sgt. Baker on Hogan's Heroes - died June 24, 1971 at the age of 53

19. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

It's good to have this perspective, but if Grover Cleveland were born in 1885 and died in 1908, he would have been around 23, not 71. This proves that the so-called "lost" iPhone prototype was all a planted Apple publicity stunt.

20. Ipadq macrumors member

Isn't Steve Jobs an Arab-American? :p

21. dwummers macrumors member

My best bet is that Jobs puts his wizards hat on, gets out his star chart and if Pluto is rising above mercury, then he randomly chooses a date. Its all about the stars.

22. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Micro-sims and the Thursday 24th launch are all part of Steve Jobs evil plan to take over the world.

24. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Because it's my husband's birthday. That's why. ;)