Why large screen size only is bad idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by es1, Feb 26, 2014.

1. es1 macrumors newbie

I do a lot of sports and I run and cycle every day. I'm still using my iPhone 4 since its 3,5" screen is perfect size to keep the phone with me when I'm training. Even the iPhone 5 is a bit too big to be placed on the bikes stem for example. 4,5" and 5" is out of the question. I would be happy to see iPhone "mini" and then a larger iPhone 4,5" or even 5" and I would buy them both. I'm afraid that I have to change brand after my iPhone 4 dies or gets too outdated if big screen is the only way for Apple in the future :(

Apple, take a not: http://www.nowhereelse.fr/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/iPhone-6-iPhone-Plus-07.jpg

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The iPhone 5 is 0.37" taller than the iPhone 4. It would certainly fit just fine on my bike.

As for a larger screen, did you know that a 4.7" screen can be fit into a chassis only slightly larger than the iPhone 5?

[​IMG]

Apple is most certainly moving away from the 3.5" screen, but I seriously doubt they're going to drop the 4" screen size. I also don't believe they'd jump all the way to 6" like some folks are suspecting.

3. randian macrumors 6502a

I own a Moto X. Good chance I'll jump to the iPhone 6.

4. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

After using my 5s since launch (came from 4s) I have to agree with the OP. I prefer the smaller screen. My hands are fairly small, so it's a pain to reach across the 4" screen with just my thumb. If they go larger, I just really hope they keep a smaller screen version that is still high end specs and not a cheaper lowered powered version.

5. zone23 macrumors 68000

6. alexmadison macrumors member

alexmadison

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why worry over something that may or may not be a problem? There will be used devices available if no new IOS devices come in your preferred screen size.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Somehow, millions of Android users have overcome these issues. I think the concerns with a larger screen size are overblown and people won't even have to adapt all that much.

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Those millions of android users don't run or cycle lol

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think I've seen physically fit Android users out there. :D

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

I'm with you, OP, for the same reasons. I'm still rocking the 3.5 and I wonder if a larger phone would become a problem.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

13. es1 thread starter macrumors newbie

::facepalm

how are you going to see the screen when the phone is in your arm

14. cynics macrumors G3

I believe that was directed toward the previous comments about working out. If so, nothing would change from using an armband with current phones and MP3 players.

15. wicker21 macrumors member

wicker21

I would much rather have a larger display if they keep a similar footprint to the 5/5c/5s. It should be more than possible as the moto x is not much larger and that device has a 4.7" display. I would imagine they are going to keep several options available as not one device will meet everyone's requirements.

16. es1 thread starter macrumors newbie

But when you cycle for example the screen must be seen all the time so you can see time, speed, distance etc.

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Sure. That's why they have so many sizes now.

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The larger screen is the only envy I have of the android market. I really want the larger screen. I hope with the larger screen apple also updates the calendar app on the iPhone so that I can see the events of that day without having to turn it landscape! :D

19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I am willing to bet that Apple will still offer a 5S size phone when the introduce the larger iPhone 6.

This will give people choice.

Choice is good:p

20. iApril macrumors newbie

as for the keyboard they could just go for a 'split' one, like on the iPad - personally I already use a thumb-index finger-combo for typing ;)

As for 'phablets' - there seem to be local preferences (they're more popular in Asia for some reason: http://www.statista.com/chart/956/phablet-shipment-forecast/ )

21. zone23 macrumors 68000

Well thats gotta suck for you. Too bad you can't figure out another way of doing what you want. I think its called improvising some people got it, some don't. I have a Jawbone Up24 to hold me over till the iWatch hits. Not sure what you do with your iPhone like do you have a Nike Band or something? If its music they make about 900 mp3 players that would do the job. If you just like to talk on the phone get a bluetooth headset. Problem solved life is great.

22. es1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Too bad you can't read.

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

as i've said 100x before.

THE 'C' MODEL WILL CONTINUE AS THE LOWER END, 4" SCREEN, AND THE HIGHER END MODEL WILL HAVE A BIGGER SCREEN.

24. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

My back pockets are easily 6" across, I'm not buying this argument.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

To the OP,

I do all of the above too (sports activities)! What are you using to carry your phone while running? I have used wasit straps and arm straps, but prefer arm. I have even strapped a Lumia 920 to my arm, and while there is a definite weight different, after about a half a mile I don't think "gee this thing is too big!".

As far as attaching a phone to the bike stem, I have never tried this, and honestly wouldn't want to. The shock that this area gets is too much for comfort. I can respect that you choose to place your phone there, but you can;t expect Apple to base their designs on a bike stem, right? Further, there are varying sizes of bikes stems. Surely there are those that wouldn't even fit your iPhone 4. I would recommend to you something to attach to the bars of your bike. I have various different handle-barred bikes and they make various different gadgets to fit these differing hardwares/phones/etc.