Why Mac and not PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apps, May 18, 2010.

1. Apps macrumors newbie

Apps

I have been using PCs all my life and they are all I know, I have been told that Macs are better for graphic design which is why I am planning to make the switch (I also like messing around with garage band and iMovie which I've had to make projects with in school) but I'm still not sure how else Macs are better. It seems to be all over the place that you can get a PC with the same specs as a Mac for cheeper and if gaming is a priority a PC will be better but what are the advantages the Macs have over the PC?

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Go to an Apple store and try one out. There is pretty much nothing that a PC can do that a Mac can't (and vice versa). Computers these days are so powerful that 99% of users will be able to get by just fine with any new computer! So a Mac is very safe. Macs are more expensive, but they are (in my opinion) better designed, and I personally prefer the software, especially the UI (though windows users will argue this!). I like not having to worry about viruses, and although OS X is buggy, I find windows to be much more buggier.

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

One thing to keep in mind is if you are interested in graphic design, that you'll have access to a huge number of other design pros who use the Mac for assistance, tips and such.

4. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

YES Macs are more expensive
    YES Windows games better
    YES many believe Macs are better for graphic design

Here is my experience ... I made the switch to Mac about 3 years ago and I have never been happier. It will take a little time to get adjusted to but it's awesome!

Btw the Mac can also run Windows ... If you wanna run Window games. You can dual boot (boot camp) or virtual machine (VMware for example)

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It is kind of one of those things that once you get one, you understand. The OS is much more polished (even comparing to windows 7), you get better performance than windows out of equal hardware (and I have even noticed my machine to run windows faster than a comparable piece of Microsoft-only plastic). From my experience, some of the design apps that are available for both Mac and Windows work better with Mac. For example, I prefer photoshop on Mac to Windows. And I didn't realize how annoying antivirus was until I had to go back to it.

They are also more solid with hardware. Big example, the keyboards on the notebooks are far superior than any other laptop keyboard I have used, and don't even get me started on the trackpad.

But it's all subjective, so if you go to a store and play with both and still want to know what gives, I would say get a PC. As much PC bashing as there is around here, I will give them credit, they aren't that terrible, just not my preference. Plus the extra cash is nice in college.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Must be a full moon tonight, I don't think I've ever seen 4 unbiased posts in a row on a topic like this :D

I agree with most of what was said here, you really have to try it out to see if it's for you or not. You can easily accomplish any graphic design task on either platform, so your decision should be based on supporting factors.

Apple tends to trade form for function (in a sense). You may get a lower specced computer, but in exchange you are getting all those little extras (in the case of a macbook anyway): amazing trackpad, backlit keyboard, magsafe adapter, massive battery life, all in a thin and light package.

Some people care more about specs than form (I tend to be one of those people). But if you take Macs for what they are, you can easily see the appeal.

7. azazel- macrumors regular

azazel-

I have a desktop Win7 Ultimate x64 PC, for gaming, video editing (conversion) and file serving to my Xbox360/PS3. Oh, and I feed it torrents via Dropbox when I'm away from home. It serves its purpose, and luckily I don't have to think about it/worry about it much.

I have my Macbook Pro for everything else. I don't like Windows. It's just that simple. I got into computers roughly around the Win95 era, and spent an equal amount of time over the years using Linux...if not moreso Linux. OS X is quite nearly MY perfect OS, in regards to my interests and how I do things. Aside from that, I've yet to find a Wintel laptop that is as pleasant to use as my MBP.

Would I be content with an iMac, or Mac Pro for home? Honestly, probably not. The iMac is too limited, hardware-wise, and the Mac Pro is overkill for my usage.

Use the right tools for the job, and use what makes you happy.

8. lobeyonekenobi macrumors regular

lobeyonekenobi

I'd also like to add, in my personal experience they also last longer, an example i've had friends whose PC laptops have stuffed up after a couple of years, and my kids PC's too. My white macbook i've had three years and it still runs perfectly, and i've known people wo have had there macs six or seven years and it still runs smoothly.

So even though macs may be more expensive, they are cheaper in the long run!!

9. wisty macrumors regular

Games: Windows > Mac.
    Graphics: Mac ~ Windows. Sometimes Abode puts out better windows stuff, but some stuff is Mac only.
    iPhone / iPad programming: Mac is the only option.
    Windows programming: Windows is the only option.
    Web programming: Linux > Mac > Windows.

Integrated apps: Mac > Windows. iPhoto / iTunes / Previewer (inbuilt pdf viewer / editor!!), iMovie, Garage band ... it's all cool. Linux has flaky knock-offs of Mac apps, and Windows has flaky knock-offs of Linux apps.
    Have you seen the dictionary / thesaurus? It's awesome. The notepad thingy that can edit office docs? Awesome. Desktop search that actually works? That's what sold me.

Office: Windows > Mac.

Macs do lots of things, and do them pretty well.
    Windows does lots of things, and beats Mac in games and MS Office.

Finally, Macs are often easier to maintain.

10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

None.

You should stick with a PC. There are PC apps that can do/act like iMovie and garage band -- no need to switch over just for those 2 things.

11. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I've been a PC user all my life until October 31st, 2009 when I finally had to get a MacBook Pro for school.

For MacBook Pros:

- Font management is much better in OSX than Windows and overall typography is handled better on a Mac.

- Colour calibrating is a breeze and the display products Apple puts out are phenomenal for graphics. This is HUGE when you deal with RGB and CMYK colour spaces.

- Multitasking is much better in that when you're running a Creative Suite combo (PS/IL, PS/ID, PS/DW or even PS/IL/ID sometimes) the programs run in the background using only what's needed to keep it running until you have to work in it again.

- It's much more efficient in handling bigger files. When you're dealing with higher file sized PSD files, the i7 I have at work chokes on it but my Mac hammers it out much quicker. Connected on the same network.

- It's true there's no such thing as a 100% secure OS. I'm glad I don't have to deal with Spybot and Anti-Virus to clean my computer anymore though.

- A complaint with Macs is that Apple limits the hardware choice you have. Well, as I said before, this is so OSX can be optimized with those parts. Windows has to be optimized for a ton of different manufacturers. More options doesn't always mean good. More options can mean more problems.

- Not really a valid point, but in terms of notebooks, any designer can appreciate the quality and sleek factor of a MacBook Pro. It's not too heavy, it's freaking thin for what it's got and the trackpad is amazing. I've seen maybe a handful of PC laptops that are as attractive as an MBP.

- Worried about hooking up a 5.1 system to your MacBook Pro? It has a wicked sound card already.. My Logitech Z5300e left-over from my PC has 3 plugs, center, rear and front. I just plugged the green plug into the headphone jack and it works better than it did on my PC. All 5 speakers work, full control from the remote pod.

Don't get me wrong, I still like a good PC. Playing games on my Mac kind of sucks but I imagine the gaming scene will be a lot better with Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and Steam. However, games like Battlefield Bad Company 2, which I absolutely LOVE... PC.

12. Amasashi macrumors member

To be honest, there are enough pros and cons for each platform that you can't really say which one is better, only which one is more suitable for you. Everyone knows the basic differences between the two. But for your everyday user, the reasons why a Mac may be preferable isn't always so easy to explain.

Let me try it this way. Please don't flame me if my stereotypes unintentionally offend you.

PCs are like the hot chicks at a club you want to pick up for a one night stand. They're young and hot, sport the latest fashion, come in an endless variety of flavors, and do things you didn't even know could be done. They come cheap; a couple drinks and they're willing to hit the sack with you. And you'll have the time of your life. But at what cost? Problems will arise in due time that'll make you think twice about that fateful decision you made while under the unholy influence of alcohol and testosterone. And don't even get me started on what might happen when you're down on your luck. You end up taking care of it more than it does of you.

Macs, on the other hand, are like the girls that are serious wife-material. They're tried and true, as opposed to new and variable. They might not do everything you want, but they'll do everything you need. And it's the small things that really make them endearing, like knowing how you like your coffee in the morning or making sure your tie matches your shirt before you leave for work. Behind every successful man is a woman rolling her eyes, but even so, she's helping you become a better person with her support. Now something like this will no doubt require commitment, but you can rest assured that it is a two-way street.

But how do you explain the virtues of a good marriage to someone still honing his game at the nightclubs? You can't. And is marriage really better for him? Not necessarily. It just depends on what you want from a relationship.

After 15 years of hardcore tinkering with a PC, I've switched completely to Mac. Sure, I look back every once in a blue moon, especially when I'm reading about the latest tech developments, but 99% of the time I'm content with a Mac. And the number one reason is because it does more for me than I have to do for it. And that, to me, is worth the premium price and occasional software/hardware limitations.

13. EasyJW macrumors member

don't get bogged down by the price increase for little hardware benefits [​IMG] the mac OS snow leopard just blows you away!

14. JackHobbs macrumors regular

JackHobbs

I switched over to a Mac in December 2009. I take a lot of photos and was interested in iphoto, imovie etc. I knew that it was more intuitive to use than a PC but I underestimated how much. For example, keyboard shortcuts are consistent across applications, so I now use them more. The whole experience is easier all round.

I've also found that if I have a problem, there are lots of forums out there that will help you. It just seems a very supportive community.

I'm not a Mac good, PC bad person. I'm happy with a PC but it turns out that I am happier with a Mac.

15. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I was a PC user for a very long time - since DOS 3.3 (around 1988.) I've been through all of the various versions of Windows (Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, XP, and now Windows 7 being the "best" ones for their time), Linux, and even OS/2 (but that's going way off subject ;))

I finally started to get interested in switching in 2007 after becoming sick of having to "deal" with Windows all the time. If it wasn't viruses, it was having to maintain the OS, or dealing with random bluescreens. The list seemed pretty endless.

I've never been what you'd call a "gamer" - I play some MAME arcade games here and there, Plants vs. Zombies, stuff like that. I'm more interested in Photoshop, so I felt the Mac would be a better platform for me.

Bought my Mac Pro in early 2008, and was absolutely thrilled with OS X. A much more stable platform, built on top of UNIX (having a Linux background helps too.) "Maintenance" on the Mac is easily accomplished with a small program that runs the daily, weekly and monthly cleanup scripts when necessary, and the hard drive doesn't need to be defragged nearly as often (if ever) as it would help a Windows system.

I've found the Mac experience to be overall more satisfying than I *ever* had with Windows - the computer is nearly silent, always fast, always up to anything I want to throw at it.

Having built-in utilities like Time Machine (great backup software), Spaces (virtual desktops...I can't use my Mac without them anymore), ease of installing programs (drag a file into your Applications folder...DONE), quality of materials and lots more little niceties that Apple included that Windows doesn't is what makes the so called "premium price" worth it to me.

Knowing the Mac version of Photoshop (basically the shortcut keys) is helpful if I ever want to get into doing professional image editing, as most shops I've seen use the Mac version (the keyboard shortcuts really are the *main* difference though - otherwise the programs are essentially the same.)

All this being said, is OS X perfect? Of course not. It has its quirks that I still don't like after 2+ years on the platform. Are they "magical"? God no. I can't stand Apple's marketing terminology lately.

It's a solid computer with everything I want and need, and it's up to you to decide if it's right for you. If you're going into graphic design, it would certainly be a safe bet to buy a Mac and learn programs on it so that you're familiar with them, because it's likely that a future employer in that industry would be using Macs also.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

For me, Mac OS is just a more advanced OS. It has features in it Windows should have had long ago (features that even free OS's like linux distros have!)

-Built in RAID support
    -Built in ISO support
    -Built in multiple desktops
    -Built in pdf reader
    -Built in dictionary
    -Built in differential backup
    -System wide spell check. No need to worry if a certain app has spell check or not.
    -Built in disk burning (supposedly win 7 burns dvds w/o needing software. I honestly never tried though.
    -Excellent color profiles straight out of the box. I dont know how OSX does it but each monitor I connect and calibrate ends up needing no calibration because I can't see the difference after calibration.
    -ONE version of the operating system. None of the "pay for this, pay for that" stuff.
    -Super easy networking.

I'm not bashing windows or anything, its just a basic OS and doesn't suit my needs. Perhaps I am a bit biased subconciously because I fix windows machines and servers for a living :p

Anyway it all comes down to personal preference. I prefer mac. I feel like I am getting my money's worth out of the computer every day. I switched back when Vista came out and had the awful bug that would cause large data transfers between hard drives to fail. After switching, I never looked back.

17. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok lets make this as quick as possible.

• The BSOD drove me to insanity
    • No viruses
    • I must learn Final Cut Pro for my future career
    • I make a lot of music, garageband is the easiest and but intricate software out that I know of.
    • I find Mac faster I don't care if you have a huge chart showing me otherwise, it feels faster to me.

18. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Now how does that work out for you, because obviously you do not know Windows very well. For example, there has never been a version of Windows NT that did not support (software) RAIDs out of the box - you claim that Windows does not have support for that, but this feature has been in Windows NT since version 3.1 (which was the very first release of Windows NT).

The same goes for backups -- NTBackup does at least support really backup hardware like tape devices/robots, while Time Machine only supports an external hard disk. And again, Windows NT had a built-in backup software since its very first release.

Basically everything else that you are missing in Windows is either available as Freeware or as Open Source applications. CutePDF, FreePDF anyone?

PDF generation in OS X is okay for simple uses, but for the real thing you will install Adobe Acrobat anyway, just as you will also install Adobe Reader for full PDF reading support. Apple's Preview app is just basic.

I could think of a bazillion things that you also need to install on OS X because it doesn't have that, beginning with Growl (which supports a feature that Windows can do out of the box) and Perian and VLC and Flip4Mac.

No OS is complete out of the box, and both Windows and Mac OS X provide much less functionality out of the box than Ubuntu 10.04, for example. But even in Ubuntu you need to install something like VLC manually to be able to watch all sorts of videos.

19. azazel- macrumors regular

azazel-

I nearly spit out my tea. Thank you for that laugh. I could arguably see your point about Linux...but why choose to make your point with such a garbage, half-baked "me too!" wanna-be OS X distro?

20. SiliBear macrumors member

That was an absolute gem of a post. Bravo. I might only add that if you're traveling down the one-night stand club route with a PC, you must, must, must keep a condom handy to avoid the absolute certainty of multiple viruses and frequent trips to the doctor's office. Macs, however, don't sleep around with lots of low-life strangers...with a Mac you're safer enjoying the activities you love. :)

I went Mac just after the first iPhone came out and have never looked back. I can't say enough good things about the feeling of liberation from all the dreadful junk I hated about high maintenance, insecure, crash prone PCs. I am amazed at how easy sharing information between apps is which blows away any PC experience I've ever had. It's the simple things. Accessing your content from any device and application makes so many things so much more fun. Videos/pictures/music in iTunes on your iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV....and available at the touch of a button in any Mac application. So much of their software is so well organized you find yourself saying "wow, how come it always wasn't this simple to do things on a computer" (coming from a PC world). At least that's my ongoing experience.

The only Microsoft software I still can't live without yet...is Excel. Luckily it's also available for the Mac.

21. hackum macrumors regular

22. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Lots of good posts (and the girl analogy was just classic!)

Bottom line is that it's personal preference. I switched in 2003 and haven't looked back (I do own a Windows machine too). I've posted my own experiences before, which I won't retype here other than to say that, over and over again, things are just more polished, things "just work" when you expect them to. It's like cars, you could buy an old Ford beater and it'll get you from A to B just as well as a new Mercedes or (pick your favourite brand) would, but... oh man, you step into a (pick your favourite brand), and everything's just... better.

Go to an Apple Store and try it out. However, to really give it a go, you really want to have one in the house for a while. When I bought my PowerBook in 2003, at first I kinda sneered at it, like, "OK, little guy, what can you do that my powerhouse Dell Latitude can't?" It took a few months before I realized that I was only turning on the Dell once a week.

The nice thing about Macs is that (a) you can always install Windows on it if you're feeling uncertain about the decision to switch and (b) they have really high resale value if you do change your mind. However, and this is an unbiased data point: from 2003 until now I know a couple of dozen people who have bought MacBooks and switched over... and 100% of them say they love it, that they would never go back to Windows.

23. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

Sounds like my setup. I do all these things as well, and have a powerful PC just for accomplishing those tasks. I have been using Macs since the SE, but I do find it a nice change of pace every once in awhile when I'm using my PC, but honestly I don't spend much time in Windows 7. Almost as soon as I fire up the PC I'm into a game. The last line of azazel's comment is what it really comes down to. Use the right tool for the job! That is not to say that a Mac can't encode video, play games (mehh....), and the like, but in general (unless you buy a Mac Pro) a well spec'd PC will tackle that stuff no problem.

24. hippietech macrumors newbie

The only reason I bought a Mac Pro:

Final Cut Studio
    Logic Studio

That's it.
    For everything else, you can get a better-equipped PC for your buck.

25. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Have you even used Ubuntu? It is the most out of the box OS I have ever used, and I was very surprised with it when I became sick of Windows and moved onto Linux (before switching to OS X). Ubuntu comes equipped with pretty much EVERYTHING you need, and you rarely have to download a program, unless your doing something specialist. They may copy OS X's styles, but who actually cares? It isn't as if the Ubuntu team are actually making any money out of it.

As for OS X, it isn't perfect, but I find it a lot better than Windows and much simpler to use. However, the prices for Macs are getting silly, and I shall certainly be putting off buying another if they do not get any more reasonable.