Why Mac is better?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Belle-vue, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Belle-vue macrumors member

Belle-vue

hey all i want to ask about mac :

I know that virus cant attack mac but how about spywares ? can they attack ? if yes? what programe would you advice me to use?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is no viruses and spyware for the Mac at present, however this may change in the future.

4. Belle-vue thread starter macrumors member

Belle-vue

and why its better than windows ? is it because of this ?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's better then Windows because you can run OS X applications? I use Windows to play games.

Seriously, it's just a operating system that lets you get a task done.

6. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

OSX is very nice, but it's not the be-all-end-all of operating systems. I use, and enjoy, OSX and Windows. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I pretty much agree with this. I can claim that OS X is more elegant but that is a pretty subjective opinion. Overall I do tend to feel that whatever lets you get your work done is the best OS for you.

I know though, for a fact, that OS X makes life more simple. It has one option for doing pretty much everything, instead of XP that attempts to make things easier by giving multiple interfaces for doing the same thing. This is just confusing. Example: network control panel in XP involves several layers of dialog boxes to get to manual settings, where OS X involves one dialog with everything you need (two dialogs if counting the 'Advanced' button).

8. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Seriously... people like this are killing apple.

Apple's marketshare is rapidly increasing... as soon as malevolent programmers have a DESIRE to attack OS X, we will be faced with problems like you people have with windows. With all of these noobs switching over from windows, OS X is doomed to be attacked with virii and spyware...

:(

I liked the good ole 3% days... that way apple had to work hard to get customers... now all they care about is the living room... AppleTV, iPhone... things that make them money...

case in point, leopard being delayed as a result of the iPhone.

grrrr.... sorry about the rant... this just really makes me upset..

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

^^^ That is a good point about Leopard being delayed.

Hasn't it been proven though that OS X is just that secure that malware really isn't easy to produce for Macs? I refuse to believe that just because OS X is a small percentage of the market that someone out there hasn't tried to be the first to create a devastating virus. It just doesn't make sense to think that "its not worth their while" or "the market share is too small to have such things happen".

I have faith that OS X will continue to be virus free and malware free for quite a while to come. I mean Apple uses this fact specifically to sell their products. I am not bothered by the delay of Leopard because of the iPhone, I mean, the iPhone is a pretty big deal. Apple is going through a huge growth at the moment and using Tiger for a few more months is no biggy to me (I like Tiger).

10. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

No no no no no.

And no again.

Of the thousands of people who create malware out there, do you really think they're just 'not bothering' because 'only' 5 million people use Macs?

This is the biggest fallacy and myth and it's wheeled out in every Mac spyware discussion.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually its 20 million but other than that I agree. I think part of it is the small market share, part is that the users are more knowledgeable, and part is that Steve Jobs has more charimsa than Gates.

I hope the spyware makers are stupid enough to release Mac versions, as it'll get Steve Jobs to create a document ala DRM and the environment and stick it on Apple.com which will give simple steps to securing your Mac, this would hopefully have a ripple effect on PC users too.

EDIT: The major security advantage of a Mac over a PC is that Macs don't run as root by default, with a PC to infect it you have to infect it once, then the spyware disables Windows Update and your done, whereas on the Mac they have to disable software update, which generally directly doesn't have vulnerabilities and would require running as root to change which makes it more difficult.

Also a piece of Mac spyware would get massive publicity so most users would actually know that there was a problem and when the fix was available.

12. Penryn macrumors member

Penryn

I agree, both have their advantages and drawbacks.

13. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Sorry, 20 million yes.

From CMO:

14. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

all i know is that macs are a whole lot simpler to use than pcs. I would never go back to using windows. I have macscan on my mac book and run a spyware scan on my MacBook once in a while. I only got tracking cookies every once in a while. I guess I really didn't need to get that program but it made me feel safe. I also think the commercials do a decent job of showing why macs are better than pcs

15. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Leopard isn't the only thing being delayed because of that blasphemous iPhone. iLife? iWork? .Mac updates? iPods? And pretty much ALL of their computers except for the MacBookPro which has seen countless updates.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

And each time you do scan you are just wasting your time. :D

17. Belle-vue thread starter macrumors member

Belle-vue

I am really new on mac , I cant understand easily the OS X system ,but the only thing that i hate in mac is the msn messenger! I am using amsn which seems quit old than the windows live messenger on windows which piss me off! even the mirc.

and the good thing is that I feel safe no virus no spyware BUT! are there other good things on mac ? what program u advice me to make mix's or remix? how can I use sound record? I remember on windows i can use sound recornd but on mac i dont know how? can someone help me ? or even teach me on mac ? I would really apperciate it :eek:

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Pretty much everyone around here will recommend Adium as the alternative to MSN

19. -::ubermann::- macrumors regular

so macs are secure because nobody uses them...?

20. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Think BMW.

How many BMW's do you see compared to Fords on the average American street? In my town, maybe 500:1 or greater?

Mac are more secure and offer more intuitive applications because the userbase and developer base is so small that they produce higher quality results, due to FOCUS.

When you are windows or a windows developer, you are making things for 96% of computers and users, meaning it has to work for SOOOO many different variables and situations. Different hardware, software, different deployment... the list goes on and on.

Now with man, you are making apps for 4% of computer users. So, your app gets a great deal of attention from developers and users, since it's scrutinized at a much greater level.

Just look at popular mac apps. How many mac users end up with Adium, which is GREAT for messaning? And now... out of ALL the Windows users, how many end up with Trillian? Or do they all end up using the stock MSN, AOL, or Yahoo messnegers, the bloated pieces of ****?

Or SuperDuper... look at all the mac users who use it. But now, out of windows users, name a few programs that can do the same thing, and are as high of quality as SuperDuper. I can't think of 1... maybe Norton Ghost?

Same goes for OnyX, ChronoSync, VisualHub, AppZapper... hell even the Disk Utility.

Mac are better because they aren't over saturated. They get that reputation from having to be so focused on quality because the percentage is so low. You sell your app to 1% of Windows users... even with your reach so small, that's still millions of users. You sell your same app to 1% of mac users, and that's probably less than a few 100,000. So to reach more users, your app has gotta be GOOD.

It's one of the side effects of an elite culture. Mac developers put more work, more thought, and more effort into their apps than most PC developers because they have to to stay competitive.

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Garageband is good for music and iMovie or Garageband can record audio...

22. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Gee, what a nice welcome to a potential switcher!

23. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

Aha! That is the point im trying to make!!!

Think of how many great Mac Apps there are out there that are FREE and arent pieces of ****. For example, there are many great utilities for converting DVD video to iPod format on the Mac, wheras on the PC you would have to pay $40 for one that isnt even half as good.

24. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

i find tracking cookies once in a while. aren't those things bad? Come on gimme some slack

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've worked with many Windows machines but I always feel better going home to a Mac. Since late June, I've also had a Windows XP Home machine that was given me.

Windows gets in my way when I'm trying to do something and Mac OS X does not. I load a CD or DVD that I want to use later, when I'm ready, and immediately Windows tells me that I must do something about it now. I suppose it's possible to disable it but the message about emptying the Recycle Bin cannot be disabled.

I received some photos to check while my PowerBook was out and they looked really bad through the FAX and Photo Viewer so I loaded a version of Photoshop LE onto the Windows machine and looked at them again. They looked marginally better but when I got the PowerBook back, they actually looked about 100 % better--as they would print.

Since I replaced the Windows firewall with Comodo Firewall Pro, Windows tells me that my system is unprotected while the firewall is starting. Why doesn't it tell me that my system is vulnerable while I'm using Internet Exploder?

I still see Windows as an opportunity for Microsoft to scare people into using their products and buying their software through FUD. Certainly, it seems as though Windows controls the users, the users don't control Windows.

Mac OS X doesn't get it my way and any setting that prompts me to do something can be set to Ignore. It works with multiple languages without problems. It's so nice just to be able to get things done.