Why Macbook Pro 13' is so hot? Can it make system board crash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nesces, Jun 17, 2009.

1. nesces macrumors newbie

I have read a lot of message about hot problem of MBP 13, my last notebook is HP DV2000 which crashed from graphic NVidia heat cycle for once a half year of usage. I decide to buy my first macbook pro. I wanna ask who use MBP13 or MBP15 about cpu or graphic chipset temperature.
    MBP 15' hot as MBP 13'? if not I will go for MBP15'
    Thank you for your advance!

2. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

yea, theres an app that you can use to crank your fans all the way full blast if that floats your boat. a

3. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

what is that app?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

in your topic you put 13'. i got a laugh out of imaging a 13 foot MPB.

and i believe the app you guys are reffering to is either FanControl or SMCFanControl. in my opinion the former is a far superior program.

5. cababah macrumors 68000

don't mean to sound mean but why should we have to install 3rd party fan control applications if Apple designed this machine correctly?

I am just saying that if Apple engineered it properly, we should not have to monitor and adjust our fan speeds ourselves...

6. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

the 13" non-pro macbooks dont get hot...

unless you are doing sustained encoding or something like that. they get warm then but the fan does do a good job of keeping the heat away.

with the aluminium body a lot of heat is despersed through that so it may feel warmer than what a plastic laptop will but it will be cooler.

my cpu (2.0ghz) tops out at 77°C while encoding sitting on my desk, thats warm but not cooking.

if you want a cool laptop get one which has a base modeled off a hovercraft, with no less than 5 vents on the bottom (ie any pc laptop, eww) but not the dell XPS13!

The macbooks keep very cool in normal operation, its just when you load htem up that they will become uncomfortable to rest on your chest for extended amounts of time or cook your babies

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you dont really sound mean. and i guess it's just the way it is. does it really bother you that you have to go out and dl a free piece of software? i dont think that it's that big a deal.

and if we want to play devil's advocate here apple doesnt do it because the average user probably doesnt a. know that you can and b. apple wants your computer to get hot and slowly die over 2-3 years time so that you will come back and buy another one as soon as possible. because again the average consumer doesnt know enough to care.

8. thecheda macrumors 6502

IStat

Obtain a copy of IStat, or something similar, in order to gauge the temperatures more accurately. Search the intranets for where they should be on your machine.

9. cababah macrumors 68000

so they should change their slogan to "Get a Mac, it just works*"

*User responsible for all thermal management and cooling operation during lifetime of the product.

hehe:rolleyes:

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

funny but you know, im sure there are millions of people out there that were/are very happy with their mac with out fan control. only nerds like us care about such things. im extremely paranoid about keeping my computer cool. im not mad that apple didnt include a way to do this. you could make this argument about anything that the computer doesnt come with. are you upset they dont include a cooling pad? or a liquid cooling system? i mean come on, they're free for crying out loud, just use them.

11. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

All that and, YOU DON'T NEED THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE TO COOL YOUR uMBP!

All you do when you use the third party software, is run the fan more than it needs to be.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha always great to hear from you iVeBeenDrinkin'.

13. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I feel the same about you, seems we run in the same circles...

14. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

15. kar1181 macrumors newbie

Dunno bout all of them but mine, doing very little other than web browsing is between 59-61 degrees.

When I compiled apache and mysql through macports the otherday the underside of the macbook got properly toasty, like almost uncomfortably hot.

It might be a notebook, but I wouldn't call this computer a 'laptop', not if you using the processor for much :)

16. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Ouch that's weird, my mini idles at ~30°C with fans at 3500 rpm.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

My 13 inch MBP runs much, much cooler than my 15 inch G4 PB. In fact, up until now, I never knew a laptop could run so cool.

18. kar1181 macrumors newbie

I run mine in closed clamshell mode with an external monitor. I do wonder if that contributes to it?

*Edit* Just been running with the lid open for the past 10 mins with light desktop usage and the temps have dropped a ways now to 52-55 (from 59-61).

19. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yep. Always keep it open while running. That goes for every notebook.

20. kar1181 macrumors newbie

I'd just installed that istat program and I'm glad I did now, the temps have now dropped in to the mid-high 40s.

I didn't realise (although I ought to have) running with the lid closed could cause a notebook to run so much hotter. Hate to think what damage I might have done to the screen if I'd not realised this so soon after buying it :)

So useful thread then :)

21. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

For reference guys. My 2.66 17 unibody stays at 45 degrees at its fans blowing 2800 rpm (adjusted with Fan control) with just web browsing.

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

interesting. My 2.8 17" is sitting on 36 degrees with the fans on 2000 rpm. Been browsing the net for the last couple of hours.

23. tsa1 macrumors regular

using FanControl, what are some good settings? i know i dont need it, but id rather get abiout 10-15mins of battery life but a cooler computer.

24. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Yeah, think of all that heat you are trapping in with the display shut.

My fans are on max (~3500rpm), just set the base to 3500 and lower the thresholds so they come on instantly.

My 13" Pro should be coming soon, I really hope it goes ok in the hot Australian summers (btw it's winter and it's freezin cold atm hence the 30°C). My old PowerBook G4 would burn you if you touched it for too long on hot days. :/

25. tsa1 macrumors regular

i set mine at 2600. I hope thats okay. You going to love you MBP! although a part of me still regrets not getting a rev.A 15" mbp off ebay for around $1379 after bing cashback!