Why MACs are away too expensive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XheartcoreboyX, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

so he got that toshiba-win xp-half the price of the mbp santa rosa 2.4 and with the same specs...he was like ''haha idiot buying the same laptop for twise the price,just because its a ''MAC''....'' o_O
    so that little stupid story just to ask why MACs are so expensive compared to other laptops?just because of the OS X??:rolleyes::confused:

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Design, OS X and ease of use

Do you want to have a 15" thick Laptop witha cheap black and silver plastic laptop that is as noisy as hell with last decades ports (parallels, VGA monitor PS2...)

You know what I mean??

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

its just 1.5'' thick -_-...

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I highly doubt he got a laptop with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and 8600m GT for $1200. The C2D alone is $500. If he did, the rest of the components were most likely cheap pieces of **** that are going to wear out quickly. A MBP could easily last you 5 years, but good luck getting 3 out of a Toshiba.

5. Turkish macrumors 6502

Price laptop to laptop, like feature to like feature and a Mac will usually come in very close. In some cases Macs are actually much cheaper.

Have to know what you're comparing to give an accurate example.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yeah, like all cars have four wheels, an engine and a windscreen wiper. Same specs. Just on some cars, the windscreen wiper falls off after a while...

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

When you're comparing Macs, the price reflects not just the specs of the hardware (which is common in PC-land). You have to also factor in the engineering it takes to cram that into the very thin and sexy cases, plus Mac OS X and iLife (last time I checked, Toshiba isn't developing any operating systems).

Your "idiot" friend is hardly buying the same laptop. Put them side by side and the difference will be quite obvious.

I really wouldn't push the reliability aspect as previous posters have - I don't think Toshiba hardware is any less physically reliable than Apple hardware (same can't be said for software).

As a side nit-picking, its Mac, not MAC. It's not an acronym, just a shortened version of "Macintosh" - and MAC actually is an acronym for something else related to computing.

8. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Hmmm I like that comparison Gnasher729; it's very correct:D

9. zv470 macrumors 6502

How about we compare the cost of OS X with the cost of Vista?
    It's going to be difficult to justify this one. :eek:

10. oscuh macrumors 6502

iLife only scratches the surface of what OSX/Macs offer to say a Toshiba/Vista setup.

To use the car analogy, saying the Toshiba is better is like saying a base Cavalier with no stereo, no AC and a stick-shift is better the top end Cadillac CTS-V with all the goodies simply because it's cheaper.

11. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

People constantly say/think that what they're getting in an "equivalent" machine has the same components.

This is false.

Just because the processor is Core 2 Duo doesn't mean it's the same.

Price a Dell and price a Macbook with the same specs, and the prices are very similar.

12. Gandhi macrumors regular

What model Toshiba is it? We can make a better comparison if we know what we are comparing with.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

How about "who cares"?

You're never going to convince someone that sees Macs as stupidly expensive that they're not, so why bother wasting your time and energy? :confused:

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Thread #1045 on

"Howcumzit yer :apple:s cost so much moor than my shweet Dell?"

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, but there's the rub. It's almost impossible to get the exact same specs in all areas on two different-branded computers. Therefore, compromises are made as to what specs are important and what specs aren't. This is subjective and therefore can be misleading. One person may think having a FW800 port on a laptop is absolutely necessary whereas another person may not and thus ignore that spec.

And, it is never a good idea to become so mired in the numbers that you forget the hard-to-quantify, qualitative factors. These tend to have much more influence on your enjoyment of a computer than whether the CPU is, say, 2.2GHz or 2.4GHz.

16. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Right on. That the best quote I heard all day

17. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

After your "Thinking twice about a Mac" thread, this one is starting to whiff awfully strongly of trolling, there ...

Cheers

Jim

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We've had plenty of threads on this topic, and I don't think we need another one. If you'd like to read up on this issue, here is a recent thread. Here is another one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.