Why MBP mid 2010 17" with EI Capitan is so slow?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jan 20, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I have been using 15" rMBPs for the past four years. Seldom used the 2010 17" (8GB RAM). For the past few days, I started to use it as my main computer. I found it slow. Updating from Snow Leopard to EI Capitan does not help. I read that there is a bug in Mail which slows down the system but I checked activity monitor, it is not on the list of CPU usage. I also don't use that app. Why the machine is slow slow? Is it because I get used to use the rMBPs with SSD?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

That's exactly right. You get used to the much quicker response of the SSD. For some folks, going back to a spinning hard drive is almost painful.
    If your 2010 17-inch is now your main machine, it may be worthwhile to change out to an SSD. The system will be much faster as a result. The SSD is limited to SATA2 speeds in your MBPro, so still not as quick as the rMBPro that you may have been using, but still a nice boost.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

From youtube videos, it looks like SSD vs. HD is about twice as fast. How about SSD @ SATA2 speeds vs. the SSD of current systems. Is the speed different noticeable?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The difference would depend on what you do with your system.
    Anything that you do that accesses the hard drive will be faster with the SSD.
    There will be some difference for you as the SATA 2 will be more or less half the speed of SATA 3, and much slower on the newer systems that use PCIe bus for the SSD.
    The SSD speedup will be much less noticeable when you do tasks that mostly use the CPU/GPU.
    That does not mean that you will always be aware of an SSD that is somewhat slower. The rest of your system also won't be as quick as a newer system, as your chipset is about 3 generations behind current Macs.
    "Is the speed difference noticeable" - Yes, for sure. It will be faster than it ever was with a spinning hard drive.

5. padapada macrumors regular

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Switching user took over two minutes. After the desktop showed up, the HD continued to spin and the system was not responsible. Could this be a sign that HD is failure or just the way spotlight indexed the system?

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Run a HD test such as BlackMagic speed test.

I have seen old laptop drives that still work but are very slow, 30-40MB/s peak speeds. Replacing them with a new drive that is achieving 90-100MB/s makes a huge improvement, and switching to an SSD will be even better.

Not sure if something physically wears out in the drives or what. You could have an old slow 250GB drive in there.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

9. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

So true, especially now the 250gb range is cheap as chips. I don't use whirlygig drives at all now, my backup drive, my CC clone, all are SSD.

10. Hauyser macrumors newbie

Hauyser

I have access to a 17" MBP at work, since they changed it for an SSD inside I must agree that the thing is noticeably more faster.

11. padapada macrumors regular

12. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Currently, I have a 2012 cMBP with a 500GB SSD; I gave my old 2008 MBP, with a 1TB HDD, to my wife (to try to wean her off Windows). I used the 2008 the other day and it felt like a dinosaur (this is compounded by it having El Cap as the OS).

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Do you hate your wife or something? The 2008 is sooooooo easy to swap out HDD for an SSD. Show her you love her, put in an SSD already!!!!

14. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Nah, but she actually uses the MBP so little (mostly uses iMac) that it's not really worth the upgrade, she's better off with the 7200rpm 1TB HDD that's in it.

15. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

As mentioned in your other thread:

Both running El Capitan

16. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

An SSD will improve the performance of just about anything you put it in. I have a PowerBook G4 that I still use as my daily driver in my classroom (I'm a high school teacher), and recently put a 256GB SSD in it. It's certainly a noticeable difference :)