Why mini-DisplayPort?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Muler36, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Muler36 macrumors member

I do love my MBP, but some of the decisions apple made really frustrates me.

2 USB ports on a Macbook Pro? I didn't think it'd be much of a problem initially, but the annoyance is becoming quite apparent.

But more frustrating, is the Mini-DisplayPort. Im correct in thinking that DisplayPort supports sound, so coupled with a displayport -> HDMI adapter, this would be perfect for outputting to your HDTV, instead apple decide on using a mini where theres no sound for one, and also you have to use a mini-displayport -> DVI, then DVI->HDMI adapter? (Im aware theres ment to be a mini displayport -> hdmi coming)

Is anyone else having second thoughts about there MBP for these kind of reasons?

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Even though I don't own one, i am pretty much in agreement. I think they should have at least waited until the proper adaptors/ compatibility with screens worked/was available.

With regard to USBs, you'd think that you'd get more because it is a pro machine! Seems like hardly anything makes it "pro" anymore.

3. Vodka macrumors regular

Ehh.... are you sure about it?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. There have been various news articles about it.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The new displays have speakers so yes MDP exports sound.

I have yet to need more than 2 USB ports, and if I buy one of the new displays it will have a 4 powered USB ports..

I still love mine and have no issues with the design choices Apple made.

6. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

The 24" LED does have 3 and I also got a Belkin 7 port mobile hub (powered) fairly inexpensively.

Solved the problem.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Why mini displayport you ask? Simple, because its the future. ;)

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

This is weird, the mini displayport doesnt seem to export sound as when I have the usb from the 24" LED ACD unplugged there is no sound from the display but if you plug the usb back in, there is sound once again.

9. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Yeah, I think the sound and iSight for the LED ACD is USB driven. Maybe mini-display ports carry sound but that's probably for conversion to HDMI or something...

10. tsvb macrumors 6502

fixed

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

The mini-DisplayPort is indeed a bit ******** because the regular display port isn't exactly large either. Why didn't they have something equally absurd like mini-LAN connector instead since that takes a lot of space.

The main deal really is that Apple is ****in' their customers up the bum with the adapters. None of them are included so essentially out of the box you can't use the mini-DP for anything at all. Also where's the mini-DP to regular Displayport adapter? That should be the cheapest and easiest to make but Apple surely has delayed it just so they can cash in on the other adapters.

According to Wikipedia, the mini-DP doesn't even support sound at all. So what exactly IS good about the mini-DP?

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

The previous gen MacBook Pro had only 2 USB ports too.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm glad that Apple has used the mini displayport (because the plug is very small and unlike dvi doesnt take a huge bulk of space on the side of the mbp).

And not to mention mini display port has a much bigger bandwidth than dvi. And since Apple licensed the mini displayport for free, we should see it on most lcd/hd tvs in the near future and adaptors.

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i'm not entirely sure LCD makers are going to go out of their way to incorporate mini DP inputs into LCDs. They're going to leave that up to cable/adapter makers, after all only Apple computers utilize this input, and how big is their market share?

They will be perfectly content making full size DP, which laptops such as the Thinkpad are now incorporating.

15. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

So wait. I'm hearing two things, one that the Mini-DisplayPort supports sound, and two that it does not. Who the hell is right?

16. cw2k7 macrumors member

Mini Displayport is a staight through connection to DisplayPort (same number of pins so no conversion is needed apart from the physical size of the connector).

DisplayPort supports sound so Mini Displayport will support sound. But it is not known if apple wired up the sound on the MacBook end to go through the connector as they have not released the tech docs yet.

17. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

I'm afraid that I fall amongst the minority of users that actually support the use of Display Port. It is far more convenient than DVI and is a definite upgrade in terms of performance/capability. A HDMI out would be fantastic too, but I'd love Apple to manufacture a simple adaptor instead.

What leaves me dumbfounded is why Apple didn't just use a standard sized Display Port. I know they've always been first to adopt new industry standards - most recently the Express Card 34 on the first gen MBP.

But yeah, a regular DP would have made more sense to me.

18. Ploki macrumors 68000

besides, the smaller the size the more fragile the thing is..
    they should have gone with standard DP.

19. Muler36 thread starter macrumors member

i think some people are getting slightly confused that im arguing DVI's corner, im not. I fully support DisplayPort, think its a great idea and will most likely be the future of display in/out, but Mini-DisplayPorts arent.

And just because the old MBP had 2 USB ports, that doesnt make it right. In this day an age there should be at least 4, think of this for a second:

if you use the dual-dvi adapter for a 30" display, thats one of your usb ports taken already. If youre using a mouse/keyboard thats anything but bluetooth, then thats another port taken, other peripherals then couldn't be used; fair enough on a macbook/air, but a PRO? really who are apple designing this laptop for.

20. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

I've read a few posts arguing that Apple should have waited until monitors and adapters support display port. If they did that then the other companies would be thinking "why make this product if no machines support it"..

Someone had to take the leap first.

21. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Second thoughts ... yes. I was using a SR 2.4GHz 17" MBP and a Matrox A2D Digital adapater to drive two Dell 1600 x 1200 displays (as a 3200 x 1200 wide screen desktop) and the MBP's 17 screen as another work area.

This setup just is not supported with the Unibody MBP.

At home I have resorted to a driving a 24" display at 1920 x 1200 using the mini display port to DVI adapter. At work where I ran the SR 17" MBP with dual Dell displays, I have given up and use a PC with dual display capability.

A major set back on several levels! I am really disappointed with Apple on this design decision.

Neil

22. mscofield macrumors member

I'm pretty curious about mdp containing the sound.
    I'm planning on hooking my mbp to my av receiver.
    If so, would the sound quality be better?

23. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The problem I see is you are complaining about only 2 USB ports because you are making a laptop into a desktop for home. Nothing wrong with that, but like me who uses is for my business and travels a lot 2 USB ports are fine as I don't have multi-displays plugged in nor a keyboard plugged in. I may use a mouse so that takes 1 port up leaving my other port free.

For at home yes, it is a bit of an issue not having more then 2 ports but it's a laptop... And I am not defending anyone for doing it, just pointing out that some are trying to complain about a laptop not being a desktop...

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't know about other 30" displays, but Apple's has two FW400 and two USB 2.0 ports. If they're wired then you can use one of those ports for both, which makes the most sense anyway. You are still left with two additional USB ports, and plugging a hub into the monitor gives you even more.

In regards to the Air, the 24" makes the most sense as you have 3 powered USB ports in what amounts to a really nice docking solution.

25. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

When the there are only two USB ports, placed so closed together, some fat usb plug might occupy all the available space, leaving the other usb port usless.