Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
When the there are only two USB ports, placed so closed together, some fat usb plug might occupy all the available space, leaving the other usb port usless.

break out cables,.. hubs?

i mean, whats wrong with using a hub for key/mouse.
the apple keyboard itself has a 2 port hub built in.
whats the big deal?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
break out cables,.. hubs?

i mean, whats wrong with using a hub for key/mouse.
the apple keyboard itself has a 2 port hub built in.
whats the big deal?

Its the classic argument. Those who use it as a desktop think it should be tailored to them and those who use it for a travel computer think it should be tailored to them.

Those of us in between are usually pretty happy with it.

Muler36

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
im sorry, I can't believe im actually reading some of these responses. 2 Usb ports in this day an age isn't enough, simple as that.

and I agree, a laptop is for portability, not for use as a desktop; but the choices apple made weren't made because the limitations of a laptop, but for what seems to be unexplainable reasons.

Sony has a HDMI out, acer has twin dvi/vga outputs, dell has dvi and hdmi out, and ALL have 4 usb ports or more.

theres being ahead of the game (Displayport), then theres using inferior technology no one else is going to use, (mini-displayport).

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And yet none of those things have been an issue for me.

You keep complaining about the USB ports, but how many do you really need away from your desk? Just buy a cheap hub and leave it at home.

I don't care about features I don't use, and I don't want my laptop cluttered up with ports and jacks I don't use. I have a work Acer that has all these things you mentioned, guess what its a massive tank and I hate carrying it around. So I keep it at home as a desktop replacement which is something I don't want in a 15" MBP. You should have waited for the 17" which will have more of what you want, but instead you bought a computer that doesn't meet your needs.

When I had my MacBook I was still using a CRT monitor. I didn't complain about my Pb not having VGA out, I just used the adapter.

The only thing apple should have done was include the MDP to DVI adapter because that has the widest range of acceptance.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This is what I thought. I don't think there is sound on the mini-DP.
MiniDP has the exact number of pins that DP has. The cable itself supports audio.

Apple has decided not to use it for connection to the new displays because they also will be carrying audio out from the mic for iChat, etc. That's why they chose to use USB for audio.

Therefore, if you're using a miniDP to HDMI adapter (monoprice will be making them apparently), in theory, you should get audio out.

This AppleInsider thread explains it a bit better than I did.

As for why Apple chose miniDP instead of using DP, my best guess is that DP just plain wouldn't fit in the MacBook Air's small flip down hatch. Simple as that.

The whole, Apple's doing it to make money on adapters theory is retarded since they are licensing it for free (ie. anyone 3rd party can make adapters for free) and they would've made adapters for DP anyway. So it's a moot point.

zalves

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Portugal
2 USB ports is total miserable

Having just 2 USB ports is simply miserable... even take in consideration that its a laptop we are talking about. For instance if you use 1 port for the mobile internet (in Portugal everyone uses a 3G internet connection via USB) another for a external HDD or pen disk you're out. At least 3 in a "pro" laptop. The problem is that Apple wants everything to be wireless despite that fact that wireless technology is still unable to comply with the demands.. like 4GB of photo transfer within a reasonable amount of time. I could come up with tons of examples where 2 ports aren't enough... but if you want the best design and engineered laptop in the world thats the price you have to pay

If the mini DisplayPort has no sound then Apple made a big mistake that might get correct in Rev. B. thats the price of being ahead of time.

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I keep asking myself that!!

I have a miniDP-DVI adapter, well it's a DVI-D, so if you intend to use a VGA display (or projector), be ready to buy miniDP-VGA TOO because all VGA adapters are DVI-I, that's not compatible with DVI-D adapters. Confuse, isn't it?

Not to mention the fact that they don't sell miniDP-DP, which makes even less sense considering that actually exist DP displays out there.

Not mentioning the fact that this stupid miniDP port doesn't carry sound. SO WHAT displayport can carry sound like HDMI if the only machines on the world that actually have one of those ports DO NOT support audio over miniDisplayPorts?!?!?!

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I make sure to buy external bus-powered FW800 drives, not USB, so I don't lose a port there. Besides FW800 is far better than external USB2. If 2 ports doesn't work for you I do understand your frustration.

We don't actually know for sure that MDP doesn't carry audio.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
If you've noticed Apple's workflow then ports shouldn't be an issue.

Wired keyboard has a built in 2 port hub. One presumably for the mouse and whatever other low/self powered gadget you can find.
-or-
wireless mighty mouse and alumn. keyboard (which is what i'm using) (mentioned because it will not consume a port).

Second gen cinema display had built in 2 port fw and usb hub (4 ports total). Current gen has 3 USB ports but no FW .

ExpressCard enables professional/power users (us ;) ) to customize their notebook (keyword here) with additional hubs and ports of whatever flavor. Now i'll be real here, I havn't heard great successes with the 34 slot but I feel its terribly underutilized in the market place and i've had no real compelling reason to purchase a card of this type.

Airport extreme has one USB port for wireless printer or hard disk.
Time Capsule also has similar functionality (but includes a hard drive).

So, using all the latest components (2nd rev macbook pro and third gen cinema display), an all apple dream setup would give you:
Macbook Pro - 2 USB ports
Insert LED Cinema Display - 3 Self Powered Ports - 1 for Hookup = 4 Available
Insert Aluminum Keyboard + Wired Mouse = 2 - 1 for hookup = 5 Available
Airport Extreme (or Time Capsule) = 1 port via network = 6 available.

and for the fun of it, using the included expressport slot,
drop in this 4 port expresscard hub (which says vista only but w/e) which will give you 10 ports available.
If that isn't enough you can also drop another 4 port hub onto the macbook's other usb port, but you'll have to take out the keyboard I mentioned earlier and plug it into your monitor, giving you...what...13 available ports?

13 available USB ports if desktop laden. 2 + expresscard's 4 if portable. Considering I don't use ANY when i'm on the go and have a like setup at work and home (1st rev macbook pro, second gen cinema display , wireless kb/mouse and 4 port usb hub) , it works pretty well for me.

Further , i'm not advocating that this is fair/right , but if it is that big of an issue for you, then you should have evaluated your purchase a bit more closely if you knew USB connectivity is crucial to your workflow, to the degree that you'll need more than 2 ports and hubs are not an option for you.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
The point is that costs a lot of money. The MBP already costs a ton...it would be nice to have three USB ports etc. The previous MacBook Pro at least came with a DVI to VGA, it would be nice if the newest one came with an adaptor or two.

I understand the argument. We've spent this much, why should we have to spend more? Sure, other laptops aren't as sleek, and I do appreciate how much power has been fit into the small amount of space my MBP occupies, but it is frustrating that cheaper laptops from other companies have more functionality in some sense right out of the box, and most importantly, self contained.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
The point is that costs a lot of money. The MBP already costs a ton...it would be nice to have three USB ports etc. The previous MacBook Pro at least came with a DVI to VGA, it would be nice if the newest one came with an adaptor or two.

I understand the argument. We've spent this much, why should we have to spend more? Sure, other laptops aren't as sleek, and I do appreciate how much power has been fit into the small amount of space my MBP occupies, but it is frustrating that cheaper laptops from other companies have more functionality in some sense right out of the box, and most importantly, self contained.

Dell could do that in its M4400, why apple with its aluminium heatsink can't! Come on apple! shows as some amazing engineering!

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Just look at the internal layout of Unibody MacBook Pro's components, it's radically different to what it used to be. To me it seems like there's no more room for ports. Battery and the hard drive are occupying front 1/3 of the enclosure, optical drive (and Kensington lock) the other side, and considering that you can't have ports on the back (because of the hinge design), that leaves us with the space that's already used for the connectors.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
My netbook has 3 USB ports. :) No excuse for 2 on the MBP other than being stubborn.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Probably not, but my previous generation MBP has both Firewire 400 and 800, handy for devices that don't have a pass-through.

Yes, but they shared the same bus so when you daisy chain FW800 and FW400 devices the FW800 device drops down to FW400 speeds. So because plugging two devices in was so important you basically had two FW400 ports. On my new one if I daisy chain 800 and 400 devices my 800 stays at the faster speed.

singhy44

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Manchester, UK
What is it with this aggresive port-changing? Back in the day, my iMac G4 and (now dead) iBook G3 both had mini-VGA ports. Easy, just get an adapter and you're off. Now my MacBook and this iMac both have mini-DVI. Fair enough, atleast there the same, and if I had a Mac Mini instead of the iMac it would be the same, and having an MBP would mean just not needing the adapter. But now, none of the notebooks have common ports with the desktops. If I were to buy an Alu MB/MBP, I would need another adapter. If there are updates to the desktops, it's pretty much certain the Mini will get an mini-DP, but the iMac? Considering the iMac doesn't really need any updating, so there will probably only be a speed boost, so will they bother to change the whole rear casing? They can't go back on themselves and use standard DP, so it was the wrong decision to start with. Apple have got themselves into a pickle.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Hmm I came here to read about mini-displayport and it's all USB and FW400 talk...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.