Why must installing Snow Leopard be so hard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoostedAudi, Sep 12, 2010.

1. BoostedAudi macrumors newbie

Im having problems installing snow leopard on a macbook pro 1,1 and during install it will get down to 28 min and then back up to 30 and then it will just shutdown halfway during the progress bar?! Whats wrong its never done this before its installed fine before?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Either your SL DVD is soiled with fingerprints or your HDD is failing. Sounds like the latter is more realistic.

3. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

its not the hdd because i ran the disk utility and it said it was fine? and it repaired itself fine?

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The last time something like this happened to me it turned out the DVD drive was failing and I didn't know it. It died completely a couple of weeks later. How much do you use your drive -- could it be worn out? I'm not sure if there is an easy way to diagnose it.

5. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Not very much its just im selling the macbook tomorrow and i am trying to format it and it seems that i have to go through this process 6 to 10 times before it actually installs :(

6. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

If you checked the disc for fingerprints etc. and you have used it before with no issues then HLdan is likely correct. Just because disk utility will repair the drive or the SMART status says verified in no way implies your drive is fine. (Its just part of having a delicate mechanical device, lots of failure modes to contend with).

Cheers

7. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

wow this is just a burden on me? so how much does it cost to repair the drive?

8. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

Wait, isn't this the same computer that would stop in the middle of OS 10.6.4 update?

9. Covart Guest

I really hope some poor sap isn't going to get stuck with a computer known to be having issues. That's not cool.

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I've installed Snow Leopard on multiple machines and never had such a problem. Looks like something in your MacBook Pro is defective. Do you have an external DVD drive you could try it with? Then you'd know whether it's the hard drive or DVD drive which needs to be replaced. I had a similar problem and found out that my DVD drive is dead.

11. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is which is making me beleive more and more its a hard drive problem, it seems like during the write process of the installation the hard drive just dies and shuts the computer off with it.

It really just dosent make sense for my case because i can hear the dvd drive spinning the disc?

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Bingo...

you will need to go to www.versiontracker.com and download SMART Utility.app

This will show you what the SMART pass/fail in Disk Utility does not.

Like whether there are bad sectors or errors on the drive signaling its impending death.

Even if it is bad, and out of warranty. You likely can spend $50 and DIY or upgrade the size of the drive for a bit more.

---

Why do we say HDD problem over DVD dying, is because an OS upgrade off DVD will tend to stress the drive. And if it is failing, it'll start having errors when the mechanism gets hot and eventually this gets bad enough the OS update is aborted.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you get your hands on a 2.5" S-ATA HDD and try it with that one? It might be even just connected in an external enclosure, as you can install Mac OS X onto an external HDD.

It could be the laser, which independent of the spinning process.

Btw, you can edit your posts via the [​IMG] button, or multi-quote posts via the [​IMG] button, as sequential posts are "against" the rules.

Minor Problems

6. Sequential posts.
    Combine your comments into one post rather than making many consecutive posts to a thread within a short period of time.

14. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

15. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

The above info sounds good, its just i cant install that without no os, and mine gets pretty hot also and i called a place and they said it could be the heat sensors that are turning off the computer to protect it from overheating?

I probably can get my hands on an External HDD? But then from there connect it to my mac and then what how would i install SL on there without any operating system on the MBP?

16. bamf macrumors 6502

Boot to the DVD and have the external drive plugged in as well. Choose the external drive as the spot to install SL. You may want have to format the external drive properly in disk utility first (inside the installation) before installing SL to that drive.

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I'm not sure the point of this unless the OP is planning on taking the hard drive out from the external enclosure and placing it inside the Macbook he's selling.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Would be great to have a "combine posts" button that does that after a post. Even better if that was done automatically.

19. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats true, the external hard drive i would be getting would not be a laptop size enclosure.

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

This one does: [​IMG], though it is a process involving one of the powers that be.

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I doubt vBulletin has a feature like that, especially the version that MR is using. Would be nice though. Start a thread in feedback forum if you're interested

22. bamf macrumors 6502

Well it would let him troubleshoot where the actual issue is. If it's with the drive, then the installation should finish properly. If it is something else in the machine, then it won't.

Always good to isolate parts when troubleshooting.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I've encountered a similar problem before, from my experience, installing Snowy on some machines (usually laptops) can be a shear pain!! In my case it's a matter of installing, crash, restart and try again!! Eventually it does install... Give it a shot!! Other wise use disk utility to create a small 10Gb partition on another drive then use SuperDuper to dump the image (direct from DVD to HD) on an external drive, then get your MacBook to boot from that, there's a higher probability it'll work and without any glitches!!

Good luck man.

24. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

It seems like about every DVD players is getting dodgy when they get older.

My 2007 MBPs DVD drive refused to burn anything when it got old, it also needed a few tries to mount DVDs, same with my iMac, which has it replaced once already. I've got a friend with a 2006 17 inch MBP, he have changed DVD player once and the "new" one is failing now after two years. I also have 3 friends with 2000-2007 models of MacBook and I believe only one of them has a fully working DVD player, and at least one of them have replaced it already.

So summed up, one of six Apple products with DVD player made in 2006/2007 is still working. 3 of 5 of those not fully working, have already been replaced before.

I know this is very little data to base my "facts" on, but the DVD player is clearly a weak link, but I guess people doesn't care too much about optical media anymore.

25. BoostedAudi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats the same exact thing that im having i dont know whats going on, im just stumped.