Why no ability to take video with iPhone camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ModernDayDruid, Oct 10, 2007.

1. ModernDayDruid macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any insight as to why Apple would not have included the ability to take video via the iPhone camera? My RAZR can do this, so why not my iPhone? I was trying to think of a reason why my iPhone would not be able to do this. Hardware limitations? Shouldn't be.

Any chance this feature is coming via a future update?

2. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I may be wrong, but I think the use of video would require some new hardware and not just a software update. If it can be done with a software update then there is a chance this could be updated in the future. As far as the reason Apple left it out, I think it is because the majority of video taken on cell phones is pretty bad. Apple and Jobs like to have things work how they want with good quality so they may have left it off simply because they couldn't find a camera that would give good quality video.

3. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I don't have a factual answer...only the people that receive a check every week from Apple might.

But I'll take a guess and use the same excuse a lot of other people come up with when attempting to justify missing features on the iPhone such as no flash support in Safari.

Just remember these two words and repeat them every time you wonder why a feature isn't on the iPhone an then it will all make sense again :D

" Battery Life "

4. ibwb macrumors regular

The iPhone software is not finished yet. Any iPhone user can give you a list of simple features that they would like, but it takes time to implement this stuff properly. It's way, way too early to speculate on the reasons for this or that feature being missing when there are so many.

I think we can expect a lot of things to show up (as video out, the iTunes wifi store, and other features have) but it's really hard to say when.

5. ModernDayDruid thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery life. I didn't think of that. Probably the culprit.

Either that or Steve is saving that feature for the iPhone v2... :)

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Probably because Apple wasn't trying to create a Swiss-Army phone.

7. b-real macrumors newbie

Wow, they could've fooled me with a device that has a phone/iPod/web browser/photo viewer/camera/YouTube/music store/stock and weather tracker, etc...

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I would love to see a video recorder on the iphone.

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Someone should tell the marketing dept. The latest ads push this angle.

10. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

Have you actually seen what a picture taken on the iPhone looks like if the subject so much as blinks? Terrible. I can't see video looking good in any way, shape, or form.

11. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

I'm no subject matter expert on hardware decoders used in digital cameras but you do have a good point there. It seems that whichever component Apple chose for the camera isn't really the greatest for pictures let alone motion video.

12. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I don't see it that way at all. Extolling the features of the phone is hardly selling it as an "it can do everything in the world" phone.

13. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Video cameras and still cameras on phones are so vastly inferior to standalones that I don't see them being very useful until a really quality implementation can put them on par with, say, a good consumer-grade MiniDV camera (if there is such a thing... sure it's not DVCPro but it's many times better than a cameraphone).

I think this is the problem... if they tried to implement a video camera in that small a form factor, it would be mediocre at best and Apple, having a reputation for quality products, would catch more hell for having it than they are catching now for not having it.

I don't see Apple doing this until it can be done well... and frankly I'm just not impressed at all with any camera phone or video recorder phone.

14. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

It is possible. All ya need is software.. A video capturing software. If you turn your camera function on right now, you'll see that you have a live-view for taking pictures... this is basically the same thing as capturing video... you just need software that is able to capture multiple frames at a time... and maybe compress it to jpeg-movies or even quicktime.. Should be simple.

15. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Because Apple has not figgured out (yet) how to charge you .99 cents per minute of video shot with your iPhone. And Leopard will be a bit delayed while engineers are transfered over to help them perfect charging you another .99 cents to use a still from your video for a contact image.

16. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Simple Answer: They don't have to

Not when you have an army of fanboys who will defend senseless ommissions at every turn.

Seriously its either battery life or something they can claim as an update when it should have been there already or a V2 feature

17. Orwell1984 macrumors newbie

Listen, I'm not an Apple apologist, but I think it's pretty obvious that cell phone video recording is about the most useless thing ever right now. I don't understand why anybody cares. The only practical functionality I've ever seen in a phone-taken video is ruining about 1/5 of youtube.

18. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

well if what you mean by useless is that its probably one of yhe least used features on a phone and even amongst consumers that own phones with video recording then i might agree.

However, i would not say flat out useless. I dont have an exact number, but just through my own casual observance i have noyiced quite a few wrong doings brought to light because ofvideo camera phones. Abuse in schools, police abuse etc.

For this purpose camera phones dont need to compete or br compared to HD quality video cameras. They just need to be present, its nice to have around for those rare but important occassions when someone thinks, "damn i wish we had a video camera for that"

19. florevil macrumors newbie

hi guys actually
    You can make videos with cyrecorder but you need cydia...
    BTW it makes great video ..

20. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

21. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

The battery life issue doesnt fly with me. Wouldnt it eat up battery only when in use? As per quality, I have cycorder and the qulity is great, even on my pc it has very little or no pixelation. Infact its the best ive seen on any mobile device. Cellphone video will never match dedicated video camera's, never, so that doesnt matter. Its a fun thing to have, to play around with, plus its standard on phones for so many years now.

22. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

B.S.

23. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

people complaint the picture quality of iphone too much, i took 2 photos using iphone (top one using AirMe, bottom one using camera) i think it's good enough for me, i don't plan to make a poster out of it. walking around town snapping picture here and there using AirMe to post it on flickr. if you think camera is not good enough, learn how to take better picture don't blame the camera. as for why apple don't allow video, it's stupid.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. Aurial macrumors 6502

Battery life is not the reason. Baring in mind that 2 megapixel cameras are technology of 3 years ago I think that the quality when shown against todays 8 megapixel offering would be an embarassment.

The camera just can't cope with the frames per second needed for smooth video recording. Just switch it on and move it about and you'll see. And its not even recording anything!

The fact is that the camera of the iPhone is bad. We're talking technology from 2005.

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's the hardware. It's not a normal camera sensor, due to the way it takes a photo. Jailbreak and use cycorder with sound if you really want.
    Till then, await v3 which will very likely have decent video options.

Aurial - some of even the best new cameras out there, if you move them about can't do smooth video recording...

We might be talking about tech from 2005, but then don't forget 3G was tech from yesteryear too, and that (decent) 3G coverage hit the US shores recently...