Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5628

Why no bootcamp support for 2008 Unibody Macbook on Windows 8

While I'm sure it can run, it's likely that Apple doesn't want to write drivers for that machine for 8. Not entirely sure why. It's most likely they feel your machine is not powerful enough to provide a satisfactory experience running Windows 8.

Now, that said, once you've downloaded the Win 7 drivers, there's nothing stopping you from putting in the Win 8 disk and installing it instead. I've done that with my MacBook Air 2011. It also doesn't support Win 8, but it works just fine with the Windows 7 driver package. Just know that if something goes wrong, Apple won't be able to help you.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Pretty much because they just don't want to is my guess. There isn't any hardware related reason for it, because it does run it just fine; I did it a while back just to see.

See post from another thread Windows 8 MacBook
I took a picture of it on Instagram when I had it up and running.

The drivers were the fun part, most of the Win 7 ones from Apple will work, but I did use specific Win 8 drivers for some however, and had to manually install a few. Nothing too major.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
I was thinking the same thing also. Anyone done this before?

I've dual-booted Windows 8 on my MacBook (same make as yours) and it worked just fine with the Win7 drivers I had installed from when I used Win7 for a game (SimCity to be exact, before it was cross-platformed to OS X).

I only dual-booted Win8 simply to see for myself what Win8 was all about. I no longer have a dual-boot system set up on my MacBook, although I am thinking about dual-booting Ubuntu 12.04.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.