Why no colored bumpers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loves2spoon, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Since the black bumper is the only color available for free, why are there no colored bumpers in stores?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple is concentrating their full production force of the bumpers on making one of them, the black one, readily available.

3. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

+1 its a sheer volume issue.

This is further supported by the fact that they even had to offer 3rd party cases

Some cases have 2-3 months of back order.. can you imagine if they only had the bumper

4. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I have the speck pixelskin hd right now, I wonder if I'll like the bumper? Comes tomorrow or Friday.

5. MCRunning macrumors 6502

They were already having problems keeping up with demand, so now they are just focusing their production on black

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm kind of bummed that I couldn't select a different color. I get it that people asked for a free bumper and Apple caved in, but I would have gladly paid for a bumper if it meant I got a choice in color.

(for some reason I wanted the neon green bumper)

7. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

The bumpers are not great btw....

I was very keen on getting one, had planned on buying a coloured one but the free black one was to suffice in the mean time.

Then i received it!

RUBBISH.

Im glad it was free because i now dont feel like i have to use it to justify the cost.

It offers very little in the way of protection and just adds more bulk to the phone itself.

Now, as hypocritical as this next statement is, i always use a case so bulk is part of the deal but i am much happier with my leather proporta flip case than if i had only the bumper to use.

Basically all i am saying is don't get your hopes up about the bumper.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I got bumpers in the colours I wanted very quickly from Apple Online. They have saved my phone on five different occasions now, dropping onto concrete from waist height.

9. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

By giving away only black ones, they are creating a demand for colored ones, so they can sell them and gain some money back.

Giving away colored ones would create customers demanding specific colors and the extra work involved with that.

Handing out colored bumpers in a random way, is making customers creative in trading/selling them and Apple would make no more money.

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's because you ordered them before Jobs announced the free cases. Apple withdrew the sales of bumpers from the online store on the day of the announcement.

I've received my free black bumper and it seems ok. I don't see how they could ever justify charging £25 for it though. :eek:

11. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I love the look and feel of the bumpers and the protection they offer, but i must say they handicap you in ways that make you want to not use them at all. I have an ipod car charger that i usually connect my phone to and play music from. Guess what, not anymore with the bumper on! Also, headphones. If the jack isnt skinny as a rail, you cant use them or you got to "modify" the opening. As much as i like it, its not worth it which is why im getting a feather.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Economies of scale and volume needed to satisfy the need to hand out free bumpers. Cost apple a lot less if they dedicate the complete manufacturing process to one color, and given that they're handing these out for free they want to cut down on the expense.

Then there's the obvious need to keep up with demand, so dedicating the manufacturing process to one color makes sense to churn these babies out in high volume

13. nyisles84 macrumors regular

I have a white bumper, with my free black one set to arrive tomorrow. I wonder what they did/ are doing with the pre-exsisting stock of colored bumpers? I feel like they could leave those in the stores and online for people to actually purchase. Give them options.

14. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think it was 2 weeks delivery on the coloured bumpers prior to the free bumper offer so I'd say they hadn't got any stock anyway.

15. Harpy007 macrumors regular

Exactly. At the end of September, the colored bumpers will be back in store and people wanting a different color than everyone else will definitely pay 30$.