Why no flash ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cpt.Oliver, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

Im a new user of ipad and iphone. What the reason apple not suppoting flash ?

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Flash-100,000 sold

No Flash-15,000,000 sold

I guess at the end of the day, who actually gives a s*** about flash!

3. Cpt.Oliver thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but many website use flash so that content isnt available for me with an ipad. Is flash developed by google ? Is that the reason apple not supporting it ?

4. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs.

I've been using an iPad and/or iphone for 3+ years and only remember one time where it would of been nice to have flash and that was early on when using the iPhone. I don't miss it.

5. Axiem macrumors member

There are a variety of reasons, but one of the most important ones is that Flash was written and designed under the paradigm of a mouse and keyboard. The iPad has a paradigm of touch. The two are not cross-compatible for a variety of reasons that are bloody freaking obvious if you spend a few seconds thinking about it.

6. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Flash is from Adobe. Regardless of the company Apple felt it is not a viable technology on a mobile platform.

It was just recently that there were issues with Flash and the Zoom. My friend that has a zoom has Flash turned off on his zoom. He says half the time it crashes the browser or slows things down. Most of those issues are related to flash ads.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

In simple terms...

Its old and kind of outdated. Theres better stuff out there that Apple feels is the future.

Adobe is supposedly working on optimizing so that all those flash video sites or any flash video for that matter can be viewed from an iOS device. They announced that a few days ago, but that will only take care of video I believe. As far as Flash games, its still a no go.

I believe my info is right. Google it.

9. Cpt.Oliver thread starter macrumors member

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I, for one, do miss flash. My mother does not have an internet connected computer. I wanted to show her some videos from Daily Show. No go on iPad. Daily Show app was a joke. So I took out the Evo and everything worked. And hey, my battery was ok and nobody hacked my phone the same instant flash was activated on it.

It's just Steve Jobs' tantrum. He's like a kid who refuses to eat Brussels sprouts

11. Axiem macrumors member

I'd say it's more that he's like a kid who refuses to eat food with a high content of mercury. It probably tastes good at first and seems okay, but it will eventually kill you in the end. Might as well avoid the poison in the first place.

12. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind people having a tantrum such as is visible in for example Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Flash.

13. darngooddesign, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

darngooddesign macrumors G3

The owners of the billion or so computers currently running Flash.**

**In 2005 there were just over a billion internet connected PCs. Since then internet usage has grown significantly andin 2010 an independent study said 99% of internet connected PCs had the Flash plugin installed. That number was in mature markets which doesn't account for the total number of PCs I quoted. So in reality a staggering number of people do have Flash enabled PCs and even speaking modestly the number of those who care far outweigh the number of iPads sold. Your number of iPads sold doesn't say anything about the iPad owners who bought one but would like the run Flash also.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0933606.html
    http://www.adobe.com/products/player_census/flashplayer/

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

15. chandra.hp macrumors member

For people demanding flash on the iPad... I point you to an app called Splashtop.

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

And iSwifter ... and Skyfire ...

17. Carouser macrumors 65816

No, he's like a grown man who refuses to eat Brussels sprouts, it's both reasonable and within his rights, even if you don't like it (gasp!).

18. omyard macrumors regular

Use Skyfire or Hulu Plus.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Skyfire is too limiting, but iSwifter does a great job. Ironically, while it does have some lag it probably solves the issue of Flash being too resource intensive.

20. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Not having flash isn't that big of a deal for me, don't get me wrong theres times were I wish I could watch a video that's in flash but it doesn't happen all the time. Most of the sites I go to that I view video on use HTML5 also

21. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Yes, just what I need. To connect to my home PC so I can watch content. The point is, I'd have to bend over backwards to see what I want to see, just because Mr Jobs has a hissy fit.

22. robjulo macrumors 6502a

Nice lecture professor, but that explanation doesnt help when I go view a simple video on Facebook only to find my 700 dollar iPad won't play it.

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

And most likely, you knew that Flash wasn't supported before you bought your 700 dollar iPad. Who is at fault now?

24. shandyman Suspended

You can sell your 700 dollar iPad and go buy an android one since it bothers you.......