why no ichat for iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saccento, Jun 29, 2009.

1. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

anyone ever wonder this? haven't read anything about it.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

iChat uses MobileMe and AIM. So, if you want iChat type support, best if you download AIM from the AppStore. Works for all MobileMe and AIM users.

3. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

i think what OP is asking is why isnt iChat, which should be a native Mac App, not installed on iPhone OS.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True, I also thought of that, however, I don't think Apple will throw one in if AIM has already done so. Seeing as both be doing what the other does... oh wait... where have I seen that before...?

5. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

yeah that's what i meant...i'm surprised apple didnt add this

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Perhaps they need to have something up their sleeves for their next update. I also would like to see iChat but I'm not sure if they will include that with their next update.

7. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

maybe they will add it with next years iphone.. it would be cool if they also had multitasking that uses expose ;)

8. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

My take is if Apple installs default iChat app on every iPhone, then many people may not pay $5~$20 a month for AT$T text msg plan.

9. saccento thread starter macrumors 6502a

saccento

i'm sure they would still charge it as messaging.

10. Cabrewolf macrumors member

Apple holds back basic features until they "get it right." They could have had copy and paste in the first or second OS, but steve said they had not gotten it right. That's how they do things. It's not first to do it, it is first to do it right.

iChat is not an instant messaging software, it is a communication software with text, voice, and video. I suspect they are waiting until the chips and network are available so they can get it right. This might just mean having an iChat that does everything the desktop does, or, possibly, we will see a revolution of iChat on both platforms - think about the love child between Skype and iChat.

WTF is with phone numbers anyways. How archaic is it to identify someone by a number? Give me a name and let my computer, phone, etc ring. Google is working on it, you can't think apple has not realized it is not about phone, it is about data based communication whether text, voice, video or a combination thereof

Wold\f

11. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

You got to wait for the iPhone 3GSS with front facing camera.

12. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya ... I think they're waiting until video chatting is more of a reality/possibility.

That being said, though, I really want some native iChat going on.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

They wouldn't be able to, it's data, which we already pay for.

We don't have iChat for many reasons. Foremost, AT&T's network would not be able to handle it. AT&T has made it very clear they will not allow video streaming on their network (at least right now). That said, we may see it as a Wi-Fi only feature in the future. Apple doesn't want to blow it's load all at once, so they will likely release this next year or the year after. I'm sure they already have it worked out on a prototype, they're just waiting for the best time to release it. Maybe after AT&T loses it's exclusivity. In this case, bandwidth useage will be divided amongst many carriers.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've also heard that Apple is going to take chatting to a whole new dimension via video or visual chat (perhaps they'll call it VChat?). I would guess that's what we'll get around the next WWDC. Of course, us in the U.S. will probably just be getting MMS by that time!

15. KUKitch macrumors regular

KUKitch

Will it have a supercharger?

I kinda think that with unlimited texting getting more and more normal - at least in the US - the need for IM programs would kind of decrease. Even more so when you can send IM's to phone numbers... though I realize that may not be quite as smooth or convenient to set up. For myself, I don't chat with anybody whose number I don't have, so I just text them... of course that's my own usage and doesn't apply to everyone. Just my opinion/experience