Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The (discontinued) Microsoft SPOT Watch (which I still have 2 of because I worked on the design of the interface) from 2003, came with an inductive charging stand. Nothing to snap into, no clicking anything. You just hung the watch on the stand, like a small black plastic shelf type thing, and it charged.

How is it that 12 years later, charging the :apple:Watch is more involved?

I think the magnetic disk is cool for travel, but for a desktop or bedside charger, an option of just laying the watch on its side on an inductive tray or pillow would be sweet.

Too costly? Why else?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The Apple Watch charger is inductive. The magnet is just there to keep it in the correct position for the most efficient energy transfer. Every doubling of the distance between transmitter and receiver results in a quadruple reduction in power (inverse square law).

As for a dock implementation, Apple has left it up to third party solutions, for the most part, since the iPhone 5s and later iPads (3rd gen and later, iirc).

Last edited:

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I can't believe you're complaining about this. The Apple Watch DOES have inductive charging, and it's a superior version. Having a magnet that snaps to the back of the watch is brilliant.

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Mcjd needs to hurry up and just go join a Rolex forum. He's been trolling this Apple Watch sub forum for awhile now.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The watch is qi compatible. Just have to use a decent pad. There was an article about this.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
I thought the reason Apple chose to attach the charging coil to the back of the watch was because it was more efficient and would charge the watch more efficiently. If a watch was just tossed onto a charging pad, there's a good chance the charger and watch might not line up correctly (the band could get in the way) and it would give an inconsistent charging experience.

But I could be wrong — I'm just a software guy. Aren't "wireless charging" and "inductive charging" terms for the same thing? Perhaps there're other kinds of wireless charging, but inductive charging is called wireless charging because there are no wires connecting the charging coil to the device — is that correct?

I'm sorta guessing third parties will come out with their own charging stations (not just stands that hold the official Apple charger), but you probably wouldn't want to use them because the official charger is more efficient.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'll be trying my powermat and Samsung qi chargers when apple gets round to shipping my watch

coolfilmaker

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
The (discontinued) Microsoft SPOT Watch (which I still have 2 of because I worked on the design of the interface) from 2003, came with an inductive charging stand. Nothing to snap into, no clicking anything. You just hung the watch on the stand, like a small black plastic shelf type thing, and it charged.

How is it that 12 years later, charging the :apple:Watch is more involved?

I think the magnetic disk is cool for travel, but for a desktop or bedside charger, an option of just laying the watch on its side on an inductive tray or pillow would be sweet.

Too costly? Why else?

Spot watches had battery life of around a week. Apple watches need to be recharged nightly, so they made the charger more portable.

----------

The watch is qi compatible. Just have to use a decent pad. There was an article about this.

No the chargers are qi compatible. The watch is currently not.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Yeah, you know there's something missing, when third party charger stand products spring up even before launch, to make it work/look better.

Motorola's included inductive charger dock is one nice example. It's so easy to just lay the watch in the cradle, which keeps it close enough to charge quickly. Plus it flips the watch automatically into nightstand mode. For the price that Apple charges, something like this (anything... even a cheap Edition-like box stand) should've come with their watch.

Moto-360-Smartwatch-Charging-Dock.jpg

I found this article on Qi chargers and the Apple Watch. It'll be interesting to see how it works with your Samsung charger. There's no way that it could damage your watch or void your warranty is there?

Alas, it turns out that he was wrong. All that the Apple Watch charger did was turn on the Moto 360 (probably because of a magnetic switch), but it failed to actually charge.

So no, it's not Qi compatible. Apple likes to lock us into their proprietary cables.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Thanks to those with reasonable replies. I realize now that inductive was the wrong terminology. I think I meant passive induction, if there is such a thing, and that Moto dock is exactly what I'd pictured.

I'd figured Apple would come up with their own Qi-esque scheme and call it their invention. It would be nice to place it on a power mat at any angle.

Those accusing me of trolling might want to look at my join date and post count. Trolls are transient here. There are few if any trolls who have been here 8 years with 7K posts. Just because I don't have an Apple watch doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion about them. I'm sorry if that opinion isn't all sunshine and rainbows.

And if you really read the posts I've made about the Aplle watch, there are few if any truly disparaging comments. But once people see the word Rolex, good old knee-jerk internet snark becomes far easier than actually reading, for some people.

I have been a watch collector since the 1970s. I've owned hundreds watches; far more than the vast majority of people. I wrote for Timezone.com from 1999-2003. I've done freelance design for Microsoft SPOT and Audemars Piguet. I worked in a watch repair shop. For the majority of my life I have lived, eaten, slept and breathed wristwatches.

I'm also a massive Apple fan. I've owned tens of thousands of dollars worth of Macs, iPhones, iPads, ATVs, routers, keyboards, monitors, etc.

NO one wants to want an Apple watch more than me. EVERY single person I know has asked me multiple times which one I ordered, when it's arriving, etc. People I haven't spoken to in years emailed me when the watch was announced.

The fact that I am not getting one shocks everyone I know including me.

So yes, I have been hanging around here talking about the watch, even though I have decided to give it a pass for now.

Part of the reason I'm not getting one for now is that having seen what can be done with watch design, screen technology, charging, etc. over the years, I'm a little underwhelmed by many of the design choices Apple has made. Especially given how overwhelmed I have been with nearly all their other design choices, in the many products I've forked over cash for happily.

As the amalgamation of the very top two of my biggest obsessions, the Apple watch for me was a let down. And I'm sad about that. No one was rooting harder for it.

It's a watershed event for me to NOT own an Apple watch. And I will continue to prod and question and discuss it here like everyone else. To those who consider that trolling, you'll just have to deal.

Last edited:

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I have to say I am not a fan of the charging. Its annoying. I have to constant flip the little thing over to find right side. In the dark I am never sure which side. Just want to drop it on something and have it charge. Maybe I need a nice stand or something.

alexthegreat80

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
NYC/CT
i guess i need to post this again....

one for the "what the heck" logo post and one for the inductive charging.
;)

Attachments

• d6f.jpg
    d6f.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 97

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I have to say I am not a fan of the charging. Its annoying. I have to constant flip the little thing over to find right side. In the dark I am never sure which side. Just want to drop it on something and have it charge. Maybe I need a nice stand or something.

Are you using the sport version of the charging cable? I'm just wondering because mine just stays on the nightstand with no flipping required, but maybe that's because it's the metal Apple Watch version.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Thanks to those with reasonable replies. I realize now that inductive was the wrong terminology. I think I meant passive induction, if there is such a thing, and that Moto dock is exactly what I'd pictured.

The fact that I am not getting one shocks everyone I know including me.

So yes, I have been hanging around here talking about the watch, even though I have decided to give it a pass for now.

Part of the reason I'm not getting one for now is that having seen what can be done with watch design, screen technology, charging, etc. over the years, I'm a little underwhelmed by many of the design choices Apple has made. Especially given how overwhelmed I have been with nearly all their other design choices, in the many products I've forked over cash for happily.

Since you've been quite experienced in the field of wristwatches, I have to ask... what do you really find so underwhelming about the Apple Watch?

In terms of the watch design, it is much smaller and sleeker than all of the Android Wear watches, the entire line of Pebble, and all other smartwatches out there.

In terms of screen technology, the OLED Retina Display is on par or exceeds all other Android Wear watches out there in terms of resolution and color accuracy. The Force Touch feature adds a new dimension to user input.

In terms of charging technology, I don't see it being any different than the Moto 360, especially when you get a simple dock adapter like this one from ElevationLab:
Night-stand-black-3qtr-gold_large.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe the issue isn't all these feature points you mentioned, but maybe more of the price points. Without a doubt, Apple charges more for their iPads than all other tablet makers out there. They charge more for their notebooks spec-wise than all other notebook makers out there. They charge more for the Apple Watch than any other smartwatch maker out there, especially when it jumps to the stainless steel and gold models, not to mention the various bands.

Maybe to you, it's insult to injury - if you have little niggles about the technology and features they've used, it's compounded by a higher price point which ultimately throws the red flag up for you.

It's easy to forget how they've really pitched this product differently than all other previous Apple products. We've been looking at Apple as a technology company for so long, and with new gold MacBooks and gold Apple Watches, along with the aesthetics in all their other products we might've taken for granted over the years. They wanted to position the Apple Watch as a product of fashion, as much as or even moreso than a product of technology. A lot of us techies could have a difficult time trying to comprehend that, no more than die-hard Trekkies seeing their beloved origin story "reimagined" and targeted for the masses by JJ Abrams (I know, I was one of them).

Personally, I say give the Watch a chance. In fact, order it and give it a 14-day chance. Clear out all reservations and expectations, and you might find it surprisingly good.

Dub1ous

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
Wichita, KS

mpike78

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2014
Virginia
YEAH!!! what he said ;)
The Apple Watch charger is inductive. The magnet is just there to keep it in the correct position for the most efficient energy transfer. Every doubling of the distance between transmitter and receiver results in a quadruple reduction in power (inverse square law).

As for a dock implementation, Apple has left it up to third party solutions, for the most part, since the iPhone 5s and later iPads (3rd gen and later, iirc).

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Are you using the sport version of the charging cable? I'm just wondering because mine just stays on the nightstand with no flipping required, but maybe that's because it's the metal Apple Watch version.

Yes sport version. It never seems to sitting on the correct side for me lol.

----------

Oh that looks nice and pretty cheap. Thanks!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yes sport version. It never seems to sitting on the correct side for me lol...

I have a Sport and when I take it off I don't pick up the Puck so it stays upright. It just sits there the same way and at night I just put my :apple:Watch near and it snaps to. I find it a very good system.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
I have a Sport and when I take it off I don't pick up the Puck so it stays upright. It just sits there the same way and at night I just put my :apple:Watch near and it snaps to. I find it a very good system.

Yea I will need to play around with it. I haven't really tried yet so its probably my own fault its been in the wrong position constantly.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It really can't get any easier. You take the watch off your wrist, and you lay it down in the general vicinity of where the disc is. When you hear the click of the magnet, you know you got it lined up properly. Apple was right--you can literally do it in the dark if you have a good idea of where the disc is. I'm not sure what the problem is here, other than people are just looking for things to complain about.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Yeah, yeah, yeah ... When will I get inductive charging on the iPhone and iPad so I only need to buy one type of charging cable?

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
It really can't get any easier. You take the watch off your wrist, and you lay it down in the general vicinity of where the disc is. When you hear the click of the magnet, you know you got it lined up properly. Apple was right--you can literally do it in the dark if you have a good idea of where the disc is. I'm not sure what the problem is here, other than people are just looking for things to complain about.

Sorry, wasn't really complaining like its the end of the world. Just a slight annoyance that has not really detracted much from my life. Like I said I am sure its my own fault and I will learn a system that works for me. Just sharing my thoughts with others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.