Why no iPhone style iCamera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Jun 26, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I like the iPhone's camera. It's kinda more fun to use than my DSLR. Why haven't they come out with an Apple camera with a zoom lens and the same kind of features as the iPhone but better IQ? Builtin memory with automatic upload to icloud

2. 617aircav Suspended

More fun than an dslr but not near the quality. Apple does not Make cameras.

3. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Apple can't make decent cameras if their company depended on it.

4. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's as if I asked "Why is the sky blue?" and you said " The sky is blue ".

5. I7guy macrumors G5

It's more convenient than my dslr and lenses and given the right lighting scenario, the pictures are fine. The slo-mo is also fun. But that's where it ends.

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

The camera is awesome. I don't know what your talking about.

7. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

Compared to other smartphones out there.

8. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Why they're at it why not make an iCar or iPlane or iBoat.....

They aren't in the camera business so why should they even think about breaching the market where they'll get killed because they have no infrastructure to produce it, no expertise in the market, and other manufacturers will kill them on price/quality/production ect ect. Apple is a pretty ok company but they don't make EVERYTHING better than EVERYONE. Put the Koolaid down pls and step away from the table.

9. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a photographer, if I say it would be a good camera it would be a good camera. For fun. It would sell very well too.

10. na1577 macrumors 6502a

You sound exactly like people did before the iPhone. "Why would Apple make a phone? They've never made a phone, they can't compete, they know nothing about phones and they will fail. The market is too competitive."

Look how that turned out.

11. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a weird mentality I've seen with Apple fans.

12. AFDoc, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014

AFDoc macrumors 68030

Of course it would sell well.... Plus just because YOU say it would be a good camera "because you're a photographer" it will be? Why should I take your word as authority? What qualifications do you have other than "being" a photographer? I was a photographer back in the day.... Was even on the yearbook staff and I say it would be a crap camera...... So why does your opinion hold more water than mine... I mean we are both "photographers".

How is it remotely the same? Phone isn't much of a step up from an iPod..... What do they make that's anything like a DSLR camera?

I stand corrected.... I guess apple should be ready with their DSLR killer any day now as they have a rich history with cameras: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

13. bandrews macrumors 6502a

You mean the same way the samsung android cameras have been a roaring success? Yeah? No. The point and shoot market is rapidly dwindling. Apple has been all about convergence of devices. Making a standalone camera would be like trying to breath life back into the iPod market.

14. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

[​IMG]

;)

15. iPhone7ate9, Jun 27, 2014

iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

NO, I DON'T mean the way Samsung did android cameras. Does everything on the internet have to turn into an irrelevant analogy somehow?

If Apple made a simple camera it would sell like hotcakes. You just can't compare them to Samsung.

The ipod market is going away because music can be streamed. Can you stream your photo taking through the internet? No.

----------

You should take my word as authority because I'm a photographer, like I said.

I'm not a huge apple fan, not sure where you're getting that. I just like the way the iPhone's camera is quick and fun and connected. A standalone camera with a zoom lens on it and an actual shutter button would be awesome.

I said nothing about making a DSLR killer.

16. na1577, Jun 27, 2014

na1577 macrumors 6502a

An iPhone is not an iPod. Just because the iPhone and iPod play music does not mean they are anything alike. They don't run the same OS, iPhones run much more complex software and have hardware functions that the iPod never needed. Maybe you've forgotten what the iPod looked like back in 2006 prior to the iPhone. Let this refresh your memory. There's a reason why iOS is based on OS X and not Pixo... because Pixo does not have any of the technical capabilities that Apple needed to make a phone. Nothing in Apple's lineup had cellular abilities so they started from scratch when they made the iPhone... but I guess that's just a day's work in your mind?

Apple has more experience in cameras now (thanks to the most popular camera in the world, the iPhone) than they ever had in phones before 2007.

Yeah, I don't understand it. :confused:

But I think this MacRumors article may be of interest to you :)

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Digital cameras are on the decline, more and more people are using their phones as their cameras. It would be foolish for apple to release a product that doesn't have a good long term outlook

18. AFDoc, Jun 27, 2014

AFDoc macrumors 68030

If you paid attention I comically linked to that.....;)

----------

You're saying an iphone is more like a DSLR than an iPod..... Ummmm ok.

19. thesimplelogic macrumors regular

Hmmm... In my honest opinion, it's a bit like a lot of things these days. People who would probably be in the market for an 'iCamera' might like the concept, but carrying around 1 device (aka, the iPhone) would probably be easier than carrying around 2 devices.
    I do know that some people still do that, I know I do with my iPod and iPhone.

20. cynics macrumors G4

Market is to saturated with low cost high quality options.

While the iPhone may have a decent camera they couldn't compete with the likes of Nikon, Canon, etc even in the point and shoot category.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

Getting into a point and shoot market is a whole different ball game than getting Into a dslr market.

----------

As they say, the best camera is what you have with you. Mostly the pros carry high end equipment 24x7, the rest of us, our cell phones.

Cell phone cameras are good enough for most people, however I'm still waiting for the 7DII.

22. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You people are missing the big picture.

It's not going to just be "another point and shoot" on the market for people to choose from. When Apple releases something (like the iPad) it gets people wanting it JUST because it's Apple and a lot of people who would never have purchased one otherwise. There would be more software for it too.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm a photographer and there is no way I would buy an apple camera, there is just no reason.

Maybe apple should also get into making cars, toasters and refrigerators.

24. bandrews macrumors 6502a

Just because you are a photographer, doesn't make you a market analyst.

The Samsung reference was not an analogy, it was pretty much a direct comparison. Samsung's Galaxy phones are as popular as iPhones yet the idea of having a connected camera with the same interface hasn't taken off. Why? Because nobody wants to spend another £300/£400/£500 (because lets face it, that's how much it'd cost) on an additional iDevice to carry around for marginal better quality photos.

As for iPods, sales of those were dropping long before spotify came around - the iphone cannibalised sales and smart phones are also killing off the P&S camera market. Don't belive me? Just google it.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2101371529/camera-shipments-2013-cipa

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/9741910/Smartphones-wipe-out-sales-of-MP3-players.html

25. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why isn't there a reason?

I need a pocket camera with a zoom lens.

Maybe apple should also get into making mp3 players and phones.

----------

Ok well just because it doesn't "make me" a market analyst, take my word for it, or don't. I don't care.