why no leaked rumors on NEXT iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Don't worry, I'm not one of those spammers that keeps posting on here asking and speculating about what the next iphone will be like.

But I was thinking today. If i recall correctly, I believe by this time last year there were already tons of leaked 'front page' rumors talking about the next iphone having 3g, and having the 'nano iphone' in the works (yea that never happened). That hasn't happened this time. Sure there are plenty of yahoo's in here talking about what they WANT in the next version, but there is no 'official' speculation or any 'leaked info from reliable sources'.

It makes me wonder how soon the next iphone will be released... I would be very surprised if they got it out by next summer again. There really is nothing urgent. They already made it cheap, fast, and with gps. Sure they can do all the things we were wanting this time like better camera, and a front facing camera... but there isn't really a whole lot of other hardware updates needed. Now They can truly dedicate their attention to the software (which i think is fantastic).

Honestly I wouldn't expect an update till Jan 2010, or possibly even summer of 2010?? And they might possibly even be available through any carrier?

2. nocoast macrumors member

my question for you is....why did you waste the finger energy typing that?

3. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

there was more speculation lsat time around because the first one was announced at macworld in january, so many people including myself thought that a replacement would be announced at the same event.

4. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I think also because even when the iPhone was released there were phones using the 'next-gen' wireless networks... Steven even said that they would be working on a 3G phone (I think). I know that there will be a new, faster cell network but I don't know if it's even 'out' yet, is it? I've read things about 4G but never really paid attention.. I mean, we *just* got 3G widely available in Canada.

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

6. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

it'll be tri-boot. you can run android/wm/or iphone os on it

7. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

iphone bootcamp lol

8. firewood macrumors 604

What do you think all those ex XScale/SiByte/PA Semi engineers are working on?

9. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Exactly

11. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Maybe 'cause this is it! No more updates . . . ever :D . . . :eek:

12. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

They're are plenty of other hardware updates needed...

Faster 3G, better battery, better GPS, more memory (32GB, 64GB), Intel CPU, front facing camera, better rear camera (with flash), stereo speakers, better loudspeaker / phone speaker, Zirconia Ceramic rear cover (that hopefully won't crack), camera shoot button, thinner design, removable battery (which may have to be possible soon), Wireless N, Bluetooth 2.1 EDR that allows file transfers etc.

Have I left anything out? ;)

13. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

ah well you never know apple
    the whole rumor tidal waves will hit the forums probably in a year or so or when somebody posts a fake photoshoped possibly new iphone on the net or apple accidently leaks a few images on the net.. but thats probably not a big chance that it'll happen

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

None of the stuff you list on there was as significant as the EDGE to 3G upgrade, as well as the dynamic price drop.

Also, a lot of the stuff you list is "better." Kinda vague, but the next update will probably be small increments on each little thing. Faster 3G requires work on AT&T's part.

I think the next upgrade (aside from storage) will include a camera update, allowing Bluetooth to use stuff like headphones and do file transfers, and maybe something else minor.

I can't believe you actually said it needs to be thinner. How much thinner does a phone need to be? They actually have to put parts inside the thing, not to mention a screen needs to be present.

15. Svennig macrumors member

Woah! Why do you want any of that??!

3G: 3G is 3G - how are you going to make it faster? It already has HSDPA and the associated tricks.
    More battery: == larger device. Batteries just aren't getting better like the rest of the machine.
    GPS : dunno, never had a problem with mine.
    Memory: I can see that some people need it; I think its just cost prohibitive at the moment. Expect updates to the memory over the next year. Its easy for them to do, they don't have to re-design anything.
    Intel CPU: why? Why do you want this? What's the point?!
    Front facing camera: no point. They're naff. And no-one video calls. the video calling idea died in the 80s. When the mobile networks tried it again, everyone in the know told them it wouldn't work. Guess what? It didn't work.
    Better rear camera with flash: Higher megapixel? Possibly, but you'll reach a limit on what you can do fairly quickly. The sensor is just too small. As for flash, no way. They eat battery and they are all useless.
    Stereo speakers etc: Why? you have headphones?
    Zirconia Ceramic: Too brittle, it would chip and shatter ridiculously easily.
    Camera shoot button: No point, the buttons are on the touchscreen. Thats the whole point of the iphone - reconfigurable user interface.
    Thinner design: Maybe, a millimeter, 2 at most. They pack it in there as it is.
    Removable battery: Very much doubt it, and for good reason: no-one uses it. I've had six mobile phones now, 4 nokias, a samsung, and now an iphone. I've never touched the battery after inserting it the first time. Plus, it will add thickness.
    Wireless n: Absolutely no point. At all. In any way. In about 5 years, when the next standard is released, and they're looking to drop compatability with b/g then maybe. The phone is not fast enough to fully utilise b/g, let alone n. Your home internet connection is not fast enough to fully utilise b/g let alone n. n is _pointless_ unless you're shifting large files around a private network. Not really iphone territory.
    Bluetooth 2.1EDR: I can take or leave EDR, but the file transfers is an important omission IMHO. Should be easy to implement though, it's just software.

16. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I would venture to guess a new low power chipset / ARM Processors that will extend battery life. A direct result from their purchase earlier this year.

Better graphics, possibly a higher resolution screen.

Better Camera. The one in there is pretty bad, even for a phone. Possibly even video capture support if they get the power requirements low enough.

I doubt they would shrink it, maybe lighter though.

I don't think you'll see the front facing camera until they can reliably send video (think iChat) over the 3G network without dropping out. I just don't see that happening next year. The AT&T network is barely holding on as it is.

I still think they are on schedule for June 2009 as it coincides with the 2 year AT&T contracts running out from the 1st Gen iPhone.

Then again, they sold only a few million in that time frame. I guess it really depends on how fast they roll out to all the other countries and how much the competition has caught up in that timeframe.

18. jimf123 macrumors member

in the UK our first gen 18 month contracts expire in May, not too far away from the 2 year US contracts, so fingers crossed we will all have a new version to choose from around this time...

19. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Do you just want people to make stuff up like they did last year with educated and uneducated guesses?

If so I'd say the new iPhone is going to have a polka-dot design with a 14 inch screen. This would be one of the uneducated guesses.

20. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I agree with a lot of what you said, but you did something that I really hate... especially because by doing it, you really weaken your argument.

No-uses it - not true. People do use replaceable batteries. I have not and don't see the need to but others do. You've never used it but that doesn't mean 'no one uses it'. If you said that 'most' people don't use it, you might be better off. I understand what you meant but that's not what you wrote.... I'm just nit-picking, sorry.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

One note on 802.11n: there is a reason for it.

If you use a native 802.11n network, you must have all 802.11n devices on your network. You get a faster connection this way. If you run a mixed mode, it's a decent bit slower.

However, I wouldn't trade that slight bit of convenience for battery power. Most hot spots are 802.11g, so it wouldn't really make a difference, nor would a faster WLAN speed anything up on an iPhone. My Wii uses 802.11g, so I couldn't run a native 802.11n anyway unless I went uber-nerd and used another WAP.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Recent advances in using carbon nanotubes to increase the internal area of batteries, should filter down to everyone in the next few years. This should lead to batteries with 2 - 5 times the capacity in the same size. Can't wait. Imagine a laptop lasting ten hours? In the meantime, yes we're stuck (see below).

Mild disagreement. For those without a laptop, it could be quite handy for those away from loved ones. Prop up the phone and talk/view.

I'd sure like a xenon flash.

The whole point is drawing onscreen buttons for fleeting actions. Common actions, like changing the volume or going to the main menu, are handled by actual buttons that you can reach at any time. A camera button would be no different.

More like people have adapted their usage to fit within the limitations. Others, like me, use smartphone features all day long and have found how useful it is to come home and slap in a waiting full battery to continue through the night.

Cheers.

23. ShepUK macrumors member

I think there's a strong possibility that they'll do this to comply with european legislation on battery recycling.

24. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I would - 5 days in a tent at a music festival isn't compatible with the iPhone in any way.

Come to think of it, I'd probably need 5 batteries :eek:

25. NathanA macrumors 6502a

WRONG. "3G is 3G" is grossly oversimplifying things. Based on when it was slated to be released, for example, I don't think it was unrealistic to expect HSUPA support in the iPhone 3G. But the iPhone does not have any HSUPA, and the fastest HSDPA that it supports in hardware I believe is the 3.6Mbps version. There are phones that were released at around the same time or before sporting 7.2Mbps HSDPA and combining that with HSUPA.

HSUPA would be a good thing to have because it is one big tool in the fight against latency. "3G" connections on the iPhone deliver fair bandwidth, but are still severely latent (average 300-400ms on the LOW end; that average gets skewed very easily when you try to remotely stress the connection), mostly because of the 64Kbps upload restriction that plain-vanilla UMTS imposes on the connection.

Why would one care about latency on a moblie phone, you ask? Well, there are a few obvious applications (and NO I don't mean VoIP :p). For one, I have to have access to a lot of character-mode-administered servers (UNIX) at work, and terminal-style connections are PAINFUL right now on iPhone 3G, and YES, I telnet to things at work (through a VPN) from my iPhone. Secondly, once AT&T pulls their head out of the sand and starts allowing tethering plans on the iPhone, lower latency will be a boon for tethered users.

There IS a point to having N in the phone; you just missed what it is.

Actually, there are TWO points to having N included in a future phone model:

1) 802.11n isn't just about increased bandwidth, it is also about increased RANGE/distance from the access point as a result of the MIMO signal processing. You can't tell me that increased range would be of no importance to iPhone users.

2) As you point out, most people's fixed internet pipes coming into their homes or small businesses are not fast enough to justify the use of N for the sole purpose of trying to speed up internet access, but N is beneficial for increasing the bandwidth between wireless computers on the network for pushing files around on the network and such. Now, just like with B clients connecting to a G network, B or G clients connecting to an N network requires that the newer-generation network cope with the older clients by *throttling down* in order to support them when they are on the network. Whenever the iPhone 11g WiFi is speaking on an N network, it is impacting the performance OF THE WHOLE NETWORK. The phone itself may have no use for the bandwidth that N boasts, but it sure as heck would be nice if someone with an iPhone could be on an N network without dragging the network down to its level.

-- Nathan