Why no MMS or Video recording app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    The lack of MMS and video recording on the iPhone are some of the biggest gripes around. There have been these apps for the jailbroken iphone for quite some time now... Why has no one capitalized on this opportunity and created this for the app store? Has someone tried? Is someone working on it?

2. Amblinman macrumors regular

Perhaps they have an Apple won't allow them to sell in the App Store?

I'm tired of stuff like this, which is why i'm probably switching to something else.

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yea that's kind of what I'm scared of.. Why must apple be so... WEIRD some times? It's annoying..

4. redman042 macrumors 68020

Because Steve Jobs hates discussion forums, and his form of revenge against them is to leave out some major features so that people keep starting new threads over and over on the same subject until everyone runs away screaming. :p

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

MMS - It ain't all that. O2 has it fairly well done. If only it could do a nicer web app, so you could just view the picture, and details.

Video - we may have to wait for a software update, or.... Apple will flick the switch come next year, a possible v3 iPhone, and Snow Leopard, to link up with an iLife 09 or so, Quicktime X etc.

Makes some sort of sense. No word on whether the iPhone will be able to blag a lot from Snow Leopard as yet...

2nd redman042 - No need for a dupe thread on this. The MMS, C&P, Video horse is being well flogged elsewhere.

6. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

How many phones are they selling without these features that "everyone wants"?

Exactly.

7. psudude macrumors newbie

probably the same reason as copy-and-paste wasn't put in the phone..."it wasn't high on the list of priorities"....:rolleyes:

8. JWages macrumors regular

How many average people know it doesn't come with MMS or video? I did not know about it until I actually started reading up on the iPhone. Some people are impulse buyers and will just buy, then be very disappointed.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

MMS is a primitive form of email.

Guess what? iPhone's FREE email app works with MMS.

If you know what you are doing, you can get video recorder for iPhone.

10. muskratboy macrumors 6502

no video is my major problem... it's been proven to work on jailbreak phones, i don't know why it hasn't shown up on the app store. i've read nothing to make me think it's prohibited in any way... it just doesn't make sense.

on top of that, an iphone version of imovie seems like a no-brainer to me. you could easily shoot video, then edit it together quickly, then post it online right there on the phone. simple video editing would be pretty simple on an iphone.

i just KNOW they are working on iMovie / iPhone app somewhere over there at apple. right? RIGHT?!?!?

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I don't know any average people, so I can't ask any of them. If you're buying on impulse, then it's your own fault.

12. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

The iPhone SDK doesn't have the capability to create a video recording app. Maybe that's why...

13. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

For cripes sake, buy a phone that meets your needs.
    It is beyound common knowledge that the iPhone doesn't(natively) have/support;
    • 10 Mega Pixel Camera
    • MMS Support
    • Video Recording
    • Front Faceing Camera
    • Voice Dialing
    • Tethering
    • slide out keyboard
    • haptic feedback

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

Well said.

Yes I would like MMS, video, etc. But that didn't stop me or millions of other people from buying the phone. It is so well designed in so many respects that I'm willing to overlook these few omissions. I'll take an iPhone without MMS over a Windows phone with MMS any day!

15. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I'm so fricking sick of this argument.

Guess what? NOT EVERYONE ELSE'S PHONE HAS E-MAIL! It's not only about sending/receiving MM to the few of us with smartphones, it's about sending/receiving to the vast majority of the cell-phone population, which does have MMS, but may or may not have access to e-mail on their cell phone. :rolleyes:

Yes, I knew the iPhone didn't have MMS when I bought it. Does that mean that I'm forever constricted from hoping that it will get this basic function in the future? Nope. I'm not going to bitch and moan about it constantly, but I'm also not going to just suck it up and never mention it again, either.

16. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

17. diabolic macrumors 68000

Tell them to buy an iPhone. It's what Apple wants.

18. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

MMS is an outdated and dying stopgap application.

With more and more cellphones able to access email, there's less and less need for MMS.

People who say they need MMS actually need better phones, or they need the patience to see a photo on their browser when they get home and check their email.

19. kane4fire macrumors member

It's not weird...it's controlling and Apple has been doing it for a long time. The have to control almost every aspect of everything. It's nothing new and just something you have to accept when buying an Apple product.

20. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

How many are they NOT selling with out these capabilities. These few apps will entice more people to buy iphones

21. nxfxcom macrumors regular

I had an MDA, a Sidekick and many other phones before, each time i get an MMS, i could not see it, i had to go to a certain link, and from there i could log in to pick up my MMS!

And who needs a 10 MP Camera in a cell phone?

Just my thoughts

22. redman042 macrumors 68020

You can actually email photos to phones that only have MMS. Every phone on every carrier has an email address tied to it. Go search the forum and you'll find a list of carriers and how to email a phone at each one.

23. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Did you ever think that they are going to release it themselves?

Why allow an application that is planned that is made by someone else when they (Apple) are going to do it.

It's like the remote. If that wasn't released at all, i'm sure people would of made an app like that, but Apple would of denied it, because they had plans already.

Personally, MMS is dumb and ill probably use it 2 times.

24. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That's a whole lot of speculating going on there.

25. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yeah but it's more than likely probable.