Why no native sleep tracking app

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by satchmo, Mar 12, 2019.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

Dumb question perhaps, but why isn’t there one? The AW has enough battery to last more than one night. Yes, there are third-party apps, but you think Apple would have included this by now.

This is not as bad as not including a native calculator app on the iPad, but it’s up there.

2. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

It will come... On a future model, then it will not be back offered because the current models wont have the processing power to handle it (even though they do).

3. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68000

KarimLeVallois

Yeah, got to have a feature to sell the new watch...

4. shamelin73 macrumors newbie

shamelin73

the autosleep app is a nice app

but I am sure that the watch could do it as it stands

5. rosario1990 macrumors 6502

hey I am intersted to know about tracking app to track someone. Which are you using right now?

6. shamelin73 macrumors newbie

shamelin73

I use AutoSleep in the App Store. Is for tracking sleep not a person.

7. Mark Holmes macrumors member

Mark Holmes

I use Autosleep as well, and am very happy with it. Love the way it breaks down deep sleep vs overall sleep and the way it incorporates rings.

8. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Another happy customer here. And with new update the app is just much better. I especially like Light Off feature that let the app knows exactly when I intend to go to sleep.

I think the main reason why Apple still didn’t include native sleep tracking app is because of battery life. Yes, we can say the battery is enough but Apple always be anal about it and they won’t include something like this when they still didn’t solve WHEN we should charge the watch instead.

With the news that the app will come soon, that would mean battery life for the new watch could be much better.

9. PaladinGuy macrumors 6502

It would be awesome, if you’re right. However, I highly doubt battery life on the next Apple Watch series will be significantly better. I just don’t think the technology is there. The only way to get amazing battery life is to cut features out (including screen quality) and/or make the watch bigger. Apple isn’t doing either of those things. I don’t know much about MicroLED technology, but I don’t think that would give battery life a massive jump - maybe a slight improvement.

10. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

That’s true for battery technology however my thinking is inline of chip technology, AI, and smart use of low power mode. For example it takes 10-12% of my S3 to track sleep all night with AutoSleep. With native tracking Apple could intelligently use low power mode to save some battery. If they can reduce it to, say, 4-5% of my S3 that would be negligent for people who will have S5 for example.

11. rosario1990 macrumors 6502

Who has been using this click here to know more tracking app for your iPhone device. I recently installed it on my device. Looks like a good one.

12. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Yeah I think Israel has a couple of tools like that to track terrorists. I wouldn’t install any of that simply because the app could track me as well. I just use Find My Friends. It’s friendly and trustworthy.