Why no news on new firmware?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bwfc0907, Dec 30, 2008.

1. bwfc0907 macrumors regular

I for one always check for the latest news to see how they will improve the iphone.

Do they not normally send to beta testers a new firmware and this becomes public knowledge of what it contains.

It now seems some time since this happened.

Any ideas why we have heard nothing?

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Think its too early yet, it was just over a month ago the last release

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We haven't heard anything because nothing has been happening. iPhone OS 2.2 is still the current version in the latest SDK.

Unless apple put out some minor bug-fix updates like say 2.2.1 or something I very much doubt we'll see a major update until a bit of the way through next year. The current version of the iPhone OS seems pretty damned good.

4. svndmvn Guest

I concur, the current firmware is pretty good, haven't had a system crash for a long time, since July/2.0,I believe. But Safari has gotten worse for me, still crashes but nothing a refresh can't solve, the bad is a keyboard bug that doesn't maximize the keys once in a while,quite randomly, it's annoying..And I learned not to write anything important in Safari, especially on Forums, as a crash is always around the corner.

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I hope that we will soon be able to download video (TV & Movies) off of the iPhone's iTunes store over WiFi. I see no reason why that couldn't happen in 2.3 whenever it comes out.

6. synagence macrumors 6502a

Usually any new firmware would be seeded to dev's early on .... since its not been reported then we can assume there is no 2.3+ etc in development

I guess apple could easily release a fully compatible 2.2.x release which just fixed problems (which does need fixes) without seeding so we might see something around macworld

7. Aurial macrumors 6502

How many firmwares did they produce for the original iPhone? And at what point did they stop bringing them out? I didn't have an original iPhone but I think I'm right in say 1.1.4 which means we've already done better.

I wouldn't be suprised if that was it, or at least they slowed down a bit. I'm guessing that now we're about to enter January that if they plan to bring out a replacement this year they'll be working on that instead.

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be at all surprised if 2.2.x was the final release for the 2.x series... i think any new significant features would be tied to a 3.x release and would be tied to a release of a new iPhone hardware (not just mem bump expected at macworld)

9. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Hope they havnt stopped doing them

If there isnt a bug fix release soon I will need to find a way to go back a version

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Er... no you haven't.

versus

Higher numbers doesn't mean more updates (or "better" for that matter, especially when the original iPhone also gets the same updates).

11. akm3 macrumors 68020

I hope Apple hasn't given up on the idea of a notifications (push) system. :(

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I doubt it, but it does seem to have made its way to the back burner.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

There is a LOT still to do in the iPhone firmware. Hopefully all this indicates is that the next update, while being pushed back a little, is going to be a substantial one that brings a heck of a lot of new fuctionality.

Phazer

14. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

Well, technically they haven't stopped making them. despite v1 vs 3G, they both have the ability to have the most up to date firmware. But I do believe that that 2.0 was co-released with the introduction of iPhone 3G.

15. bwfc0907 thread starter macrumors regular

I do wonder if they are now looking at the next major update being in July when I think they will release a new iphone.

Are they being careful? A new phone each year needs to be a show stopper. I think personally that the next major may be turn by turn GPS to coincide with a new iphone. They need something big like 3G did to sell new versions of the iphone and make us all want the new phone and not to stick with what we have.

I do love firmware updates though. Are they stopping releasing updates because of all the leaks of what is in each new update before they announce it.

This time last year they made me part with money (albeit on a Touch) for an excellent update with weather, stocks, etc. Did we know anything about that before release?

16. Aurial macrumors 6502

Hardware wise I think we'll see an improved camera in the next update, and other than maybe a storage update that'll be the lot hardware wise. The camera is probably the only hardware which needs updating, most of the other failings are software related.

I think we'll probably see at least one of the features everyones been complaining about too, whether it's MMS, Copy & Paste, or whatever. They'd get a massive amount of press from it and they know it's what people want.

17. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Yeah right

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

"Yeah, right" a lot to do or "Yeah, right" big update with a lot of kick-awesome stuff?

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Trust me, I said "hopefully", not "I expect".

Because I'm afraid I expect very little from Apple after eighteen months of disappointment firmware wise.

Phazer

20. Robby9279 macrumors regular

These are totally just my thoughts;
    A) The last update was recent, November 21st to be exact.
    B) The last MacWorld is coming up therefore apple has to be prepping for that.
    C) Yep... that's about all I Could think of, those two things :p

21. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Wasn't there some email from "steve jobs" or someone else at apple saying they were making sure to get it right the first time?

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

There was, but then the iPhone sold 6.9million in one quarter, no one has heard anything, there have been zero rumors. With iPhone doing as well as it is, Apple may have just said 'screw it why waste the time' and buried it.

23. Robby9279 macrumors regular

You really think so?
    If they figured, "Hey, screw it, those suckers are going to buy it anyways" do you really think that when/if Apple released a new Product Line they would get many sales? People are looking for the time and effort put into a product, not just because a popular company made it.
    And also remember that return policy they have? Don't you think that many people would take that into deep consideration if they felt their merchandise wasn't up to par and wasn't what they planned on buying?
    I'm just saying, just because they "didn't get it right" the first time, doesn't mean they said "Screw it, it's good enough", because most people know, nothing will ever be good enough, we will always want more.

24. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Why no news? Because anyone with access is under an NDA.

25. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Uhhh... it seems as though some of you have forgotten about Push notifications. I would be absolutely shocked if we didn't see firmware 3.0 at MWSF 09. With Phil doing the keynote, this seems to be a 100% guarantee. The only question is what else will get added.