All iPads Why No NFC?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mashinhead, Oct 17, 2014.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I think this a huge ball drop by apple to not include this in the new iPad. Not because people would go walking around pointing their iPads at NFC readers to pay for stuff. I think that would be strange (although no stranger than using it as a camera). People would use it like that in a blue moon.

The ball drop comes from the fact that many people use the iPad as POS device. To include NFC automatically expands the use of iPay stations and adoption.

Not so sure about this Tim Cook guy sometimes. No constancy or thought sometimes.

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

why nfc on the iPhone 6 is currently restricted to apple pay only.....are you going to pay at starbucks with an iPad? I'm sure they will open nfc up next year with an api and surprise surprise the new iPads next year will have it.

3. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Uh... you clearly didn't read what I wrote, either that or you didn't comprehend it.

4. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

you got me.....i didn't read it......now that i did i agree with you....especially since i have my own business and use square frequently. maybe its not that easy security wise to let just anyone accept it thru an iPad?

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

To me that was a missed opportunity. You nailed it. I assumed that the iPad would automatically have NFC as many places use them as POS here in NYC. It would speed up Apple Pay adoption. Not sure what the business logic was in not including it in the iPad.

6. compg318 macrumors regular

Maybe the reason for not including NFC for POS use in the iPad has something to do with the agreements they signed with the banks with Apple Pay so far.

7. Rigby macrumors 601

I think this would be potentially very confusing for customers used to normal NFC pads, since the iPad has no room to affix an obvious NFC logo where the antenna is, and no LEDs to confirm a successful link.

Also, as was mentioned before, there is currently no API for apps to access the NFC controller, so it's not possible to implement a POS app for anybody but Apple. If they ever decide to open up NFC, this will make more sense.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I think Apple sees the iPad first and foremost as a consumer device, for media consumption, gaming, and web browsing. I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of iPads are used for these primary things.

Retailers who use it as a POS system are probably a niche market segment at best. It might seem like a ton of places use iPads for payment, but compared to the millions of ipad owners who don't, it's probably not worth implementing.

One thing's for sure; if Apple did include NFC on the iPads, it could spell doom for Square.

OT...can Apple Pay be used to gift someone money, phone to phone?

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

Well both iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 have NFC (Apple Pay).
    iPad Air 2 Touch ID

10. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Probably next year with the iPad Air 3.

And then in 2016 they'll add it to the iPad mini 5. :roll eyes:

No they don't. That's only for in-app payments.

11. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

TouchID enables on-device purchases (i.e. within apps). No NFC means no in-store purchases.

Meanwhile, this isn't a missed opportunity. The NFC in the iPhones is meant for sending payments through NFC terminals, not receiving payments from other NFC devices. And since the NFC is locked to Apple Pay only, there's no way for third parties to take advantage of it.

What I could see is companies like Square offering NFC enabled card readers. So you can do a swipe or a tap to pay and Square processes it the same way.

12. Kiimora, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Kiimora

Apple Pay is enabled to make payments online only on the iPads; not at the POS terminal (you'd need NFC to make Contactless payments)

13. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Nfc from apple is just ridiculous... today i checked my travel card by my phone (android) to see if i have money on it to buy a ticket. Without nfc in my phone i should have gone to the nearest station just to check info from my travel card. With phone i can easily check if there is money or see if my card has still time left... until iphone/ipad has a real nfc, i couldnt care less...

14. justin216 macrumors 6502

justin216

Bulletpoint for next year's release is my best guess.

15. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Because it would be annoying as crap to see people pull out a giant ipad and tap it to make a purchase.

16. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

it depends I've seen an equal amount of iPad and iTouch/iPhone POS systems.

but its quite simple why they did it for iPhone first, maybe they weren't ready for the iPads yet.

But everyone carries a smartphone, while as not everyone carries an iPad around everyday of the minute, unless you have a big purse or Murse.

17. 617aircav Suspended

Will you say this when they add it next year?

18. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. I don't see the need for 100% feature parity between iPhone's and iPad's. I really think using an iPad at a cash register would be ackward and unconvenient.

19. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

lmfao ^ exactly :D

i personally dont care it doesnt have NFC its not a major feature in my opinion, the new screen on the ipad air 2 is a big deal for me though, the touch id is a good plus, im also excited about the a8x and the 2gb ram.

20. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

If so many people use iPad's as POS terminals, why didn't they include a credit card swiper in previous models?

Maybe because on a percentage basis, the number of people using them as POS terminals is really very tiny, and much better handled through an addon thingy like the Square dongle, than putting it on every single damn device?

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I rarely ever see businesses that use an iPad as their "register". And I live in Silicon Valley.

22. tawfiqmp macrumors member

tawfiqmp

Food trucks use it all the time with Square.. at least around here in Houston and in Austin.

23. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Good point. I guess that wouldn't matter to me because I don't eat at food trucks!

24. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

apple wants apple pay to be exclusive with iphone and watch

i guess they feel that ipads are too big and inconvenient

25. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I think you mean a really tiny ball drop.
    POS is a very small, niche use-case. Not to mention, adding NFC to an iPad doesn't mean you won't need an extension device anyhow.