Why no Siri on 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blacksurfer, Oct 8, 2011.

1. blacksurfer macrumors regular

Is Siri that powerful that it need the A5 dual processor chip? Or is it limited to the 4S so we'll upgrade?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I wouldn't put it past Apple to have not put it on the 4 purely as a motivator to upgrade - this is the same company that added in new ringtones in iOS 4 exclusively for the iPhone 4, not any of the previous models that could be updated to he same software.

3. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I believe it's an enticement, however many are upgrading like me because they're a massive Apple Geek who must have the latest handset :D

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

5. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I think it's a mixture of the 2. But more so that the 4S needs that standout feature that will convince people to upgrade.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Erm... perhaps you don't know how complicated it is to decode human speech, which entails extracting an acoustic signal from the a noisy background without knowing the precise frequencies to look for (for instance, women's voices tend to have higher pitch than men's). We have a rather incomplete understanding of how the human brain parses speech, let alone how to design a mobile device to do so.

No doubt the iPhone 4 could perform the first step - breaking sounds down into their component frequencies in real time, but identifying phonemes and parsing natural language is a huge task. I think this is why even the memory and processor of the iPhone 4S is not sufficient - it requires a network to access computing resources not available locally. Perhaps the 4 and the 3GS could do some of the same sort of pre-processing as the 4S, but I doubt they would do it smoothly without hindering the other functions of the phone. I often do acoustic analysis on my iPhone 3GS, and it is capable of frequency decomposition of sounds, but it can't do a lot else at the same time.

7. blacksurfer thread starter macrumors regular

Then if most of Siri's processing is done in the cloud it should work on the 4.
    Hopefully we'll get it after a few months of 4S sales.

8. X3NIA macrumors member

There are most likely some complications and all of that but looking at it from the company's standpoint it comes down to one thing:

$

9. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

Personally, I prefer Siri being a standalone feature on the 4S. I think the A5 Dual Core Chip really helps in processing the data from Siri. It's possible for Siri to work on the iPhone 4, but I think it would be more sluggish. I think they learned that when they tried putting iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G. Just plain sluggish.

10. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I was wondering if there is some specific hardware in the 4S for Siri. iPad has same processor and can't expect people to swap an iPad for 4S to be able to get Siri.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Then whats the reason for the iPad2 not having this feature?

12. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

Cause Apple is a douche

By putting Siri only on 4s, they would make you upgrade to experience the new feature.

However it remains to be seen if jailbreaking can do something about Siri'sexclusivity

13. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

Siri said she is not interested in old fish....only the freshest salmon. Not old trout.

14. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

To sell more 4S's. I'm sure it could of been optimised for the 4.

15. Virance macrumors regular

This. I don't think it's a case of "the device cannot run it." I think it's a case of "We really want Siri to be a success, which requires that all devices running it do so optimally."

If they let it on the 4, but it was past that "too sluggish/slow to really be super useful" barrier they would just end up with a bunch of iOS users talking about how useless it is.

16. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

She can't handle sharks? iPad2 are sharks compared to salmons for iPhones if thats your analogy.

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

No it didn't. It ran fine on a 3GS too.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I also would like to know the answer to your question.

Is there any evidence that it is not supported on the iPad 2 ?

19. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Processing is done mostly in the cloud.

20. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I'm willing to bet that it has to do with Apple wanting you to upgrade......

It is evidenced in the past...

James

21. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

No, it doesn't. I still have the app on my phone, and it runs really well.

It's not on the 4 so they entice you with a reason to buy the 4S.

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Apple didn't achieve its spot at the top by being nice to their customers or taking steps to insure it includes those customers who own devices a year old or more. In order to enjoy the latest Apple experience you are expected to buy new hardware & software. If not for the competitions attention to backwards compatibility like Microsoft, Apples computers would suffer the same fate.

Although that said, it's getting closer everyday since we are being forced into Lion if we want Apples latest.

In addition based on my first hand experience, I find that Lion which came preloaded on my one month Old MBA, runs smoother, faster, and it's bug free as compared to the clean install of Lion I downloaded on my 15" Mid 2010 i7, 8GB, SSD equipped MBP. That build is buggier, and not as stable or as smooth . Very revealing indeed.

In this example Apple has sent a clear message. Welcome to the world of Apple, expect to upgrade frequently & regularly for your best experience. In my case I did anyway as I enjoy the latest & can easily afford it. The sad part is not everyone can & Apple plays to the masses which is a bit hypocritical.

Those with the money or willing to go into debt will enjoy the "Magical & Revolutionary" experience engineered by Apple's best CEO.

Those without, well you know what they say...

23. Nioxic macrumors regular

Hmm.. i asked this question and googled it etc but couldnt find anything - thanks for confirming that siri wont becomming on my iphone.

Not that it matters, it doesnt work in Danish yet. :p

I'm considering to switch to the 4S, not coz of the Siri feature but because of the new CPU.

I'm wondering though if it uses more power

24. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Seeing as the only thing iOS 4 added to the 3G was folders why do you think that was? The exact same reason Siri is only on the 4S, to sell the newer models.

25. saberahul macrumors 68040

A recent article by TipB suggested that the 4S has 512MB ram. True or not, going by this claim, it is clear that the 4S has the same specs at the iPad 2. Since Siri isn't going to be implemented on the iPad 2 (no one knows what it will be implemented on as no official announcement has been made, or has there?), it wouldn't make sense for Siri to be implemented on the iPhone 4.