Why not just order from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blorzoga, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Blorzoga, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Why is it that after over a month since release, people still insist on going to Target or Best Buy to hunt down an iPad? How much time and effort has been wasted. An order could have been placed at Apple and you'd have the exact model you're looking for.

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

No idea myself, but two guesses are:
    1. Low stocks even online make for long shipping periods?
    2. Alot of people still do not like the idea of online shopping.

3. princealyy macrumors regular

I agree to number 1 but the second one I doubt ... This is an iPad buyer.

4. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

Thats what I said 4 days in a row going to the apple stores early in the morning to get one. After getting shut out this morning I said **** this and I ordered one online.

As of now, buying one at the store is a complete waste of time.

5. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Not everyone thinks alike. I'd rather hunt stores for my chances than waiting for an order online. That's me though :D

6. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

My grandfather, a classic leather-wearing, bearded truck driver, owns an iPad. He would never dream of shopping online.

Just saying, Plenty out there still don't prefer online shopping. I just recently became comfortable with it myself.

7. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

8. ethics101 macrumors regular

9. dickdaney macrumors regular

I've never been to an apple store on launch day, so this year I gave it a try. I thought, " hey it's the 2nd version. How many people will really be in line." man was i wrong. when I got to the mall there were at least 200 people lined up. So I went home and ordered a white 16gb wifi model and got it in three weeks. The iPad has been out for 6 weeks. If people would've ordered online, they would have them buy now.

10. billhelm macrumors regular

yep. I didn't get one on launch day and it was clear they were going to have stock issues for a while so I ordered one in the early evening of launch day. Have had it for 4 weeks already...

11. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Your hindsight is impeccable. Congratulations.

12. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I got my ipod and now my white 32g wifi ipad 2 thru the apple online store... I like the free engraving option!

--rob

13. mantan macrumors 68000

I think a lot of people started chasing stock when the shipping estimates shortly shot up to 3, 4 and 5 weeks. It's not like people were not able to find units (in most cities), so for a lot of people it was worth driving around and buying one than waiting a month.

When the iPad 2 first came out, I'd planned to get one for my wife's birthday in April. Shipping estimates quickly made it questionable if I'd get it in time for this weekend.

I went to an Apple store in Dallas right before it opened yesterday and picked up the one I wanted. No big deal.

I could've ordered it online and waited a month, but buying it locally was a piece of cake.

14. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

People have been saying this since launch day. I put in a reservation at Best Buy the day after launch. Over the next week, plenty of people were taunting in the Best Buy threads that none of us with reservations would ever get them, or that Apple would obviously fill all its online orders before shipping any more iPads to other stores. Instead, I got my iPad a week after launch - and then got a call 3 weeks later that my iPad was in, because my name apparently didn't get crossed off the list! So by the time the people who ordered online when I put my reservation in got theirs, my BB had gotten at least two shipments of my particular model in. I was also watching Target inventories in my area, since I could cancel my BB reservation if I bought one elsewhere.

Ordering online is a great way to guarantee that you'll get one - eventually. It's low-stress, low-effort, but it will take time and you know that it will take time (although 1-2 weeks is significantly better than the 4-5 week wait after launch). If, however, you're impatient and have some time to invest, watching the store inventories and checking regularly could get you one sooner. It's a bit of a gamble, though. So basically you've got guaranteed in 3 weeks, versus possibly today - it just depends on which one sounds better to you.

15. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I prefer to buy from apple. I wound up at best buy this time for iPad 2. That was ok especially since I wound up getting one the day after launch. I sure do hope the next time apple will offer the opportunity to buy via a presale order. It just makes things so much easier!

16. FertilityDoc macrumors newbie

Can't escape sales tax ordering from Apple

That's not true. If Apple has a physical presence e.g. an Apple Store in the shipping state, then yes you have to pay salestax. If you order from a store without a physical presence in the state you can avoid it, but inventory at such a place will be more challenging at present.

17. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I walked into best buy 2 weeks after launch at 5 pm. They had the white 64gb wifi I wanted in stock. My girlfriends roommate ordered hers from apple march 20th and it just arrived yesterday April 22.

^^ This is why you go into a store. It just depends on where you live and what kind of demand there is.

18. Meanee macrumors 6502a