Why not only SSD in iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spoiled, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Spoiled macrumors member

Spoiled

This is probably a studip question, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to answer. Why is there a hard drive in iMac, and not only a SSD?

2. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Because SSD costs more money than HDD ? :confused:

3. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Cost. Hard disk drives are at a much lower cost per gigabyte in comparison to Solid state drives.

Storage size. Currently Solid state drives are available in a (Typical) 1TB size limit, until we see cheaper costs per GB or a major compression of data on OSX we won't be seeing Solid state only iMacs.

4. majkom macrumors 65816

I wouldnt mind, give me 256gb SSD imac and i buy it... all data on external usb3/FW/TB disk...

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Not everyone wants to have external hard drives and power cables cluttering up their desks. It kind of defeats the whole point of the "elegance" of an all-in-one computer.

6. majkom macrumors 65816

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've two of those attached to the back of my ACD right now holding 2.5" drives. I don't trust it to hold a 3.5" external drive and it's not big enough. If you don't want to discuss things in a civil manner and can't be bothered to write properly, then rather don't respond.

8. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Actually you can opt to get an iMac with ONLY SSD. But it's limited to 256GB and it costs $500 more than a standard iMac. Pretty expensive if you ask me.

But yeah, it's possible to have one with SSD only. Just not as easy to get as the one with standard HDD.

9. majkom macrumors 65816

Excuse me? what about manners? why did u mention something about elegance? how does external HD atteched to 12south solution destroys that AIO elegance?

----------

I believe that the first post is operating with premise that only SSD imac wouldnt cost 500 dollars more:)

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

SSD only would be way too expensive at current prices.

11. majkom macrumors 65816

If there is gonna be specs bump or refresh - ssd must be already in base models, if not, apples attitude to desktops is ridiculous.. All i want from new imac is ssd and better gpu. Usb3, new design are nice to have, but ssd is crucial

12. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I am going SSD-only with the 2012 iMac (if it ever comes out). I really hope Apple gives the next gen iMac the same treatment as the Air and Retina Pro in regard to flash storage.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but it really is the future of computing. Sure it stinks its not modular in a sense like the typical 2.5" SSD's that we see on the market, but I will take it any day of the week in an All In One machine.

SSD's are amazingly quiet and fast. All my large data files can go on an external or a NAS if I ever set one up.

13. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

This is the configuration I have, with all my media on a WD My Book 4TB connected via FW800 (with a second unit used as a mirror).

14. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Unless it was small enough to make the laptops drives seem roomy, it would still be a price increase of at least $100-$200 minimum. Especially since HDD prices have been going down a little bit again.

And the bit about elegance was before you mentioned the little shelf gizmo.

15. Bacci macrumors newbie

I see the benefit of SSD only from a slightly different angle: Noise.

An SSD only iMac is A LOT quieter, in fact it is dead silent.
    Unless you backup and store files to a NAS in another room this is a moot point of course.

16. cyrways macrumors member

I love my 256gb ssd i installed in my imac, it's fantastic and only cost me around $200 and some of my time.

17. Mike Valmike macrumors 6502a

We're probably seeing the end of the HDD-by-default era. That said, an HDD makes cost sense right now. If I were ordering a 2011 iMac today (let's just pretend it is a year ago and not late 2012) I would order the combined SSD and HDD, because that lets me use the HDD as a huge scratch drive for HD video files, which often run into the hundreds of gigs, while leaving the main SSD free for my OS and essential docs and apps. Down the line, when we can all get 5tb SSDs for $250, it won't matter and nobody will buy an HDD (unless they need like 100tb of space at that point)

18. DesterWallaboo macrumors 6502

DesterWallaboo

Cost per gigabyte is clearly the primary reason, as stated by many others.

The primary aspect of SSD that keeps me from jumping on the SSD bandwagon is the short lifespan and speed degradation that comes with SSD. This probably doesn't affect a lot of users, but I move lots of data around on my machines. As such, an SSD would die quickly on my box.

19. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

for some a 256gb ssd is enough. maybe this year.

20. old-wiz macrumors G3

The base is unlikely to be SSD only; desktop models tend to look for large storage capacity, plus the price considerations.

SSD is an option and is unlikely to show up as standard in base models.

21. majkom macrumors 65816

in that case, som reasonable pricing is necessary, if it is gonna cost same as now, apple's desktop line will be old tech based - not interested anymore:(

22. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Apple is to busy making toys to worry about silly real computer stuff.

23. flynz4 macrumors 68040

This is the largest reason that I am waiting to get the newer model iMac. I suspect that prices will be significantly better than the 2011 iMac.

I am willing to pay a $1K premium for a model with 1TB SSD and 3TB HDD. I might go SSD only... and use my Pegasus R4 TB array.

/Jim