Why on earth do they downgrade the layout of apps like Twitter?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by TH55, Feb 8, 2014.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

I just upgraded to iOS 7 and the latest version of Twitter is terrible! On the iOS 5.01 version I was running before, the "quite/retweet, favorite" buttons were large and easy to hit, now they are tiny and it's difficult to hit the right one. Also, the full pictures used to show up in a reduced size, now it's just a small portion of it and you have to enlarge it to see what it is. Drives me nuts. Please someone tell me there is a good reason for these changes?

2. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

It's likely that some code was changed (image rendering, for example) to reduce the size of the code base, which may also reduce the bandwidth requirement (carriers love that).

As for the buttons, sometimes a developer will reduce one UI element in order to add a new element, or to make everything conform to a specific look and feel.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Gotcha, thanks

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

It's basically just because Twitter have an awful design team.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol yeah seriously. Now to search for a person you have to go through like 4 steps, ridiculous.

6. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Twitter is getting worse and worse with each update. I usually switch off between echofon for twitter and twitter p. might be time to make the switch.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Tweetbot. It's seriously good if you'd find it handy to be able to search for people's names, etc. while composing a tweet.

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Tweetbot is the best option for twitter on iOS.

9. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Tweetbot is like the best twitter app for iPhone, especially after the iOS 7 update. I wouldn't even hesitate to pay for it. Official Twitter app is like trash after you get use to Tweetbot.

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Why do you suppose that is?

Also, have you noticed that in addition to displaying the number of retweets it shows the actual retweets underneath every tweet mixed in with the replies? Why on earth would they do this??

----------

Ok, I might have to check into it. Getting seriously sick of Twitter app.

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Send feedback to Twitter. Complaining here does nothing.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

You keep repeating this. It's equally or more unhelpful.

I'm simply trying to find relief/explanations/solutions to problems, not suggesting anyone here "fixes" them.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The only relief, explanation or solution you'll get is from someone who either made the changes or can fix them, and the only source that can do either of these is Twitter. You say yourself you're trying to find solutions, but then say you're not suggesting anyone here fix them..well..

Many probably share in your opinion, and you'd do right by yourself and others to make the suggestions directly to Twitter.

14. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Give me a break, writing Twitter will do absolutely nothing! I hope you're not serious and are simply trying to get me to shoo.

I have every right to post here in order to find consolation from others who share my opinions and learn from their experience.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Actually, yes, I am suggesting you write to Twitter. Companies do listen to feedback. Now, if you're the only one suggesting it, it likely won't change anything. But, if enough people do, companies listen.

You do have every right to post here, but posting and complaining here will not get Twitter to change anything, that's for sure.

16. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I will never expect any sort of majority to not only be observant enough to notice these things but to make the effort to vocalize it, let alone write the company!

People are complacent, lazy and generally oblivious. They will take what is given to them with a smile so long as it functions on a very basic level.

But this is 2014. We have made incredible strides in technological advancement, there is absolutely no reason why this same level of achievement shouldn't exist in regards to functionality and user experience, especially when we're paying $500 for a phone.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Repeating the same things over and over here does even less than nothing. It's one thing to discuss something, it's anther thing to keep on replying to your own threads when everything in them has already been discussed dozens of times right in those threads. Why ask the same things over and over when people already commented and discussed them multiple times? This is essentially just bumping up threads for no reason asking the same questions over and over that have already been discussed.

18. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

No, it's not actually. I've responded with new points.

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Adding the issue about re-tweets is hardly groundbreaking. It's been months, I'm sure other people have seen it..either they don't care, or they're fine with it, it seems.

20. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I really hate the little retweet/favorite and reply icon underneath because i randomly hit them and i could care less how many people did of each. I actually have just stuck with twitter for awhile now, i dont think i even know my twitter password.

21. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for your input.

22. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah exactly. Have you also noticed how when you search it doesn't search all tweets by default and you have to select it manually?? So stupid.

23. CutterSlade macrumors regular

CutterSlade

Not really. Maybe if %90 of the users complain about the same thing, they do. Otherwise they change things as specified by the retards they employ as designers or product managers. Most of the time just for the sake of changing, and maybe to keep their employees busy until something important comes up. There's no other explanation why some apps having their entire layout changed every 2-3 updates.

24. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Exactly, and it's almost always a downgrade.

25. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

They can't tell what you are interested in unless they make you click the pictures. They are trying to sell you for advertising. if you happen to like to use it with your friends is incidental. Imagine they are trying to get you to see the most amount of advertising and the most likely stuff you'd want to buy, then all these changes make sense.