Why only iPhone's Safari got full screen mode?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by alexfc, Jul 24, 2013.

1. alexfc macrumors newbie

Why there isn't a fullscreen mode for iPad???

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Why do you need fullscreen on the iPad? It's already a large screen.

3. alexfc thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it would be better to read if you could hide the top bars and tabs. More space for the text.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's not necessary because the screen is already wider and larger than the iPhone. You wouldn't be saving as much room compared to what you save on the iPhone's display.

5. HarryAinslie macrumors regular

HarryAinslie

I disagree, utilise what you've got. I'll be surprised if they don't do the same, as they want all iDevice's running the same

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

I'll be surprised if they do. The point of the full screen mode on the iPhone is to allow for the visibility of more content because the screen can admittedly get cramped in Safari. Safari on the iPad has one bar at the top while the iPhone has one at the bottom and top.

7. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I agree with the original poster. Add full screen option for the iPad also. 3rd party browsers have the option for iPad, iPhone has the option with Safari...add the feature, why not?

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why not? There really isn't a reason not to have it, just another feature to add if/when Apple might decide to do it. The thread really more was from the point of "why wasn't it added?", which is somewhat different though, and there seem to be reasons to explain that.

9. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

exactly. Put the feature in, Apple.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Why can't I rotate my iPhones home screen to landscape? It's the same logic.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, just because there isn't a reason not to add it doesn't mean it actually needs to be added or will be added. There are many things that could be added to many other things, it doesn't mean that they actually should be or will be or at least will be soon.

12. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Baffles me why the iPad does not have this feature. I can do it on an iPhone and a Mac, but not an iPad. Makes no sense.

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Not really the same logic, since there is an obvious reason for the lack of landscape home screen on the iPhone. It wouldn't fit well.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

Looks fine to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What about the App Store? Or Settings? Or the iTunes Store? Or Game Center? Why can't I rotate those?

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

That's why you're not a designer. ;)

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

You stated it didn't fit well when it clearly does. It might not be *perfect* but it fits fine. You didn't answer my question at the bottom...

17. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Clearly? Only if you don't care about design.

The first example you posted involved shrinking the icons and inconsistent spacing. The second involved cramped spacing, an unrotated title bar, and a switch to vertical scrolling.

How would I know? I was just commenting that there is a reason for the home screen to be portrait only.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

The spacing would have to be tweaked but it could probably work.

My point was that if I can rotate the home screen and apps like Settings, the App Store, the iTunes Store, etc on my iPad, I should be able to do it on my iPhone if the same logic the OP is using is applied.

19. doug in albq, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013

doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

this thread is starting to reek of "apologist"

This is a simple, yet useful feature and Apple really has no reason not to add it in. Again, most 3rd party ipad browsers already go full screen. I do see this feature being added in the future, maybe even before iOS7 is released. If not added, Apple continues to give users a great reason to use 3rd party browsers.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Apple has not decieded to add full screen mode for Safari on the iPad. There are reasons as to why it's not really necessary, just as there are reasons as to why it would be useful. Will Apple add it in the future? No one really knows.

Is there really much more to discuss in relation to this topic at this point aside from rehashing what's pretty much already been said in the thread so far? No, not really, given that there wouldn't really be anything new to it.

21. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

:confused: I guess you see what you want to see, Don Quixote.

I see one person attempting to come up with a reason for Apple's decision. Which is reasonable considering that was the question asked in the OP.

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Rotating home screen on the iPhone is silly.

Fully screen Safari support in iPad would be nice. It's brilliant in Chrome on iPad.

23. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Let me try another tack: Every feature has a cost in terms of time and effort. Resources are not infinite. So when planning what work to do, you usually weigh the cost and benefit (with the benefit side being "how many people will use/appreciate this?").

So even though Apple could do this, they have to weigh it along side other work to do. The UI overhaul eats up a fair amount of time just by itself. They added other features to Safari as well, and did do some focus on the iPhone UI to make it better, in a way that specifically helps the iPhone.

Would you trade any of the existing features for the that feature?

24. batting1000 macrumors 604

I was just trying to make a point. I wasn't suggesting Apple should implement the feature.

25. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

I do not think this is a lot of work. I am not an iOS developer, however I am a designer and a front-end web developer, and I think this feature, at this current point in time, is not much more than some copying and pasting of code, and a few minor adjustments. Also, we are talking about Apple, Inc. and i do not think resources would be an issue even if this was a very difficult task. I think your "resources" argument is incorrect.

The idea of trading in a feature for this new feature is just silly. I also think the feature is coming in the future, possibly the near future. If not for the full size iPad, the mini could especially use full screen.

----------

no.