Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Baffles me why the iPad does not have this feature. I can do it on an iPhone and a Mac, but not an iPad. Makes no sense.

What never ceases to amaze me is the legions of Apple excuse makers, telling us why full screen is not needed.

They all assume they know our preferences and usage patterns.

I bet they don't assume their brain surgeons. :eek:

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
My 2 cents here: I like the idea of full webpage view and transparency of the address bar. Really no need for it to be around when you don't need it. That being said, I think Apple will add it by GM in the interest of UI consistency between ios devices although safari in iPad is admittedly different and more spacious than the one on iphone (have always hated that ugly blue bar especially on a 3.5 inch screen lord have mercy). I mean you don't necessarily need it on an iPad as much as you do on an iphone but why not have it? No reason to make excuses for it. Like having a centralized place to save files, docs, pds, etc, yet Apple also doesn't wanna give us that (off topic :p).

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I do not think this is a lot of work. I am not an iOS developer, however I am a designer and a front-end web developer, and I think this feature, at this current point in time, is not much more than some copying and pasting of code, and a few minor adjustments. Also, we are talking about Apple, Inc. and i do not think resources would be an issue even if this was a very difficult task. I think your "resources" argument is incorrect.

The problem there is that ignores overhead of work: testing, documentation, prioritization and the like. So the work may not be tough, but larger businesses are surprisingly methodical about how they go about things. So there is more work involved that smaller businesses sometimes ignore, and that is in part where their agility comes from. But that's really beside the main point...

You dismiss my point about resources, but you fail to give a good reason beyond "This is Apple". So what if it is Apple? Microsoft dwarfs Apple in number of developers, but even they have to prioritize their work because the number of ideas is larger than the time allotted for any one release. And then you have feedback coming from customers that can change the direction you might have for the next release and push features like this down the totem pole again.

The idea of trading in a feature for this new feature is just silly. I also think the feature is coming in the future, possibly the near future. If not for the full size iPad, the mini could especially use full screen.

It's only silly if you reject the notion that time and people are both finite resources. iOS 7 at best is looking at ~9 months of feature work, ~3 months of betas and bugfixing. Probably a bit more bugfixing time (and less feature time) if you count the time it took to stabilize the code enough for beta 1. So to fit it in iOS 7, some other minor feature would have not been implemented in its place. For all we know, they traded that feature for the time to make the iPhone version work the way they wanted it to work.

To put the feature in now would be trading off bugfixing time for it. When you are this late in the game, you don't make that kind of trade. Not with an OS.

And I'm not trying to dismiss the merit of the feature. I'm mostly saying that there's a logical reason we haven't seen it yet: Apple simply hasn't prioritized it high enough compared to the other features they are doing, including new ones based on feedback from customers.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The iPad acts like a Mac. Open Safari and your bookmarks are on top for your ease. When you go full screen on a Mac your bookmarks hide, so apple can possibly implement that on the iPad

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
The iPad acts like a Mac. Open Safari and your bookmarks are on top for your ease. When you go full screen on a Mac your bookmarks hide, so apple can possibly implement that on the iPad

if anyone goes full screen on a 27 inch imac, they need a slap.
Thinking about it, why is there a full screen button on a mac with that size screen?
Because of consistency.
So the iPad should be consistent with the iPhone.
Also, i jailbroke my ipod touch and installed a landscape launcher, but it didnt feel nice because the ipod and iphone is meant to be held in one hand, in portrait. Holding it landscape isn't the natural position, so the launcher shouldn't be that way.
In the iPad, it can be held either way and it feels natural, so they make a launcher both ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.