Why only white strap with aw2 silver?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jamdex, Sep 7, 2016.

1. jamdex macrumors member

Was planning to get this configuration for months and its only the white sport band available. Am i missing something here? Will they add more bands?

2. jamdex thread starter macrumors member

No, its the shiny stainless steel 42mm case with the black sports band :(

Its showing it with the white sports band but no other colour.

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This configuration hasn't been around for a while now. I believe when Apple started offering the black sports band with the black SS model, they removed the black sports band with the silver SS model.

4. DredPirateStorm macrumors member

DredPirateStorm

I was curious about this as well. Do they let you pick the color of the sports band during the pre-order process, or are you stuck with the standard white color if you purchase the silver SS.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They got rid of this combo as an out of the box option a long time ago.

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

My SS/BSB combo makes me happy I was an early adopter (even if I bought mine in August '15 instead of launch day).

7. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

Hello. Why does the new sport version with silver aluminium bezel only come with a white strap? I thought the older models you could choose what colour you wanted?

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Seems to me, Apple wants you to buy more bands, so limits the watch/band combo offerings. Apple has slowly downsized the number of combos over the years.

9. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

£49 for straps in the UK. They can get stuffed!

10. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

I also don't understand why some of them only come with 42mm straps. That really limits the choice. You can have the cocoa strap on 38mm on its own but only available as a 42mm combo with gold watch.

11. dyn macrumors 68030

Buy a normal watch and *boom* you run into the same thing. Then look at the prices of the various straps and you might get another heart attack. Apple only asks 59 EUR for the rubber strap, if you buy an Isofrane rubber strap you end up paying somewhere around 200 EUR.

The problem of offering all possible combinations of straps and Apple Watches is consumers not being able to actually make a choice. There simply is too many. Apple has always been about limiting choice in order not to confuse the consumer so nothing new here either.

12. ricktat macrumors 65816

This is the biggest reason I am not considering a new SS 42. I have to spend another $599 and can't even partially justify the cost by getting another band that I like.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It'd be more accurate to say they've downsized the number of available bands as out of the box options (rather than the number of combos) over the years. We started with 5 different combos of aluminum AW and 14 different combos of SS AW. Now we have 12 different combos of aluminum AW and 9 different combos of SS AW. In other words, we used to have more different color bands and fewer different body color AWs. Now we have fewer different color bands and more different body color AWs.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I really wish Apple just shipped the Watch face itself separately. Maybe even required a band be purchased alongside it. Two skus or no sale kind of thing. I feel like having 8384929 different combinations is a pain.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Are you new to the watch world because most watch manufacturers have 8384929+ different combos?

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't really wear watches. So you can probably say I'm new. Others doing it doesn't really make it good better or best though. I saw what I think would improve my buying decisions and mentioned it.

17. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Bands are cheap. It's easy to buy them on random Apple Store visits.

18. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

£49 in UK is not cheap

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Cheap is always relatively speaking. $49 for the Sport band is cheap relative to $449-499 for the link bracelet, and $449-499 for the link bracelet is cheap relative to $2000+ for a link bracelet from a luxury watch manufacturer.

20. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Apple may be able to switch out the band for you at purchase. I bought my AW SS that came with a white band, but I wanted a black band. I told them about my predicament, and they said that they'd be happy to switch out the bands at purchase. So now I have the original box that says my watch came with a white band, but do not have the white band.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Their policy is the band you swap to must also be available as an out of the box option. Back then, both the white and black Sport bands were available as out of the box options for the SS.

22. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, but because the Apple bands are so easy to fit, there's no need to sell them pre-attached. (Other than for gift-giving, where it's nicer to have everything in one box - rather than a kit of parts :))

23. lionsy macrumors 6502

It's probably a bit of a lost cause at this point, but the third party straps thread has a lot of UK posts and a lot of suggested eBay sellers that are selling decent bands, but like I said, lost cause.... Unless you want to wade through 120 million posts!

I've got a knock off leather band from eBay which is still in great condition after over a year, a nice link band from Amazon (this one) that has degraded a little bit... But honestly the price, if it gets in a condition where it looks rubbish I can still buy ten more and it be cheaper than apples.

Either way, upgrading to the series 2 SS with the white band wasn't an issue for me, the third party bands are so cheap and such good quality that it's just being put in a drawer with the black sports band from last year and gathering dust until I use it for a run.

24. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

Thanks. Can you link to the strap thread please