Why Pickup iPhone in Store on the 24th?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Resist, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I am confused why people that pre-order their new iPhone chose in store pick up, when you can have it delivered to your home.

Why stand in line on the 24th, when it can come directly to your house on the same day?

Do you get something other than Apple employees clapping, while you are at the store? I don't get it.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Some people prefer to pick it up if there isn't going to be anyone home to sign for the package.

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

After 2 hours of trying to get pre-orders to work, I managed to get a reservation put through.

Beyond that, its just an awesome experience buying things from the Apple store. *shrug*

4. Kyliec89 macrumors member

there are several reasons. One major one this time is that a lot of people couldn't get their preorders through before they stopped shipping for june 24th delivery (or at all) so they have no choice but to go to the store.

Some people wont be home when the delivery would have come...or are out of state and picking it up somewhere else...

Because they have to deal with deposits or other complicated account issues...

Some people really like the experience of going to the store and picking it up.

there are a lot of reasons.

5. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Some people (me) are new customers to ATT and need a family plan, which you can only do at an Apple/ATT store. Besides, i have a reservation :p

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Same here, adding a line.

7. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Stores open at 7 am. What are the chances your FedEx guy gets there BEFORE that?

...I know somebody is going to post their FedEx guy delivers at 5/6 am.

8. scwinsett macrumors 6502a

scwinsett

reserve

I reseved one to pickup on the 24 at my local Nashville Apple Store... Reservations don't guarantee an iPhone, and my Apple Store is in a mall, so I can't camp out... I guess I'll just get there at 5.am

9. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Im impatient. I dont want the latest and greatest phone to come to my door at 655 PM. I want it at 655 AM.

10. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

This. There was no choice after 3 hours of trying. :eek:

11. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

12. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Because you cannot make an appointment with Fedex or UPS guy to come in certain time. People are concerned about what time these people are going to come. People go to work and June 24th is a thursday.

13. snatefinch macrumors member

Yeah, I have to work and can't have it shipped to work.

14. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

And what UPS won't leave it at your door?

I haven't had to sign for a package from UPS in over a decade and didn't think they needed signatures anymore.

15. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I didn't get my 3GS delivered until 9:00pm last June 19th and it then took me 3 days to get it activated...that sucked...:mad:
    I'll have it by 9:00 am this time...:D

16. OOC macrumors member

I reserved because my number needs to be ported from Sprint.

17. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

^that

I don't know when FedEx delivers in my area but odds are that it isn't that early. Even if I have to wait in line for awhile, I should have the phone in my hand by 10am. Plus if I had been working FedEx would have left it on my doorstep. I may live in a good area and in an apartment complex, but I would be a little nervous all day at work about it being left outside. Even if I left a note on my door to leave it at my complex's rental office, which is about 2 minutes walking from my apartment, they might still leave it. They've left computers at my door before.

18. snatefinch macrumors member

Anyone shipping can require that a signature is received. From what I remember Apple makes them get a signature so they know you got the phone.

And really would you want your iPhone sitting at your door for the whole day where someone can steam it or it can get damaged.

19. swissbrit macrumors member

I preordered mine at an ATT store and I will be picking it up there because I have to do an Upgrade Swap.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Because after 8 hours of refreshing Apple.com I could either choose between picking them up in the store next week or waiting around to have them delivered in July.

Is this thread serious? Why does that choice need to be explained?

21. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

I work nights myself and would rather have the phone all morning to play with before work than wait all day and come home after work to play...

22. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Because after trying for 6-7 hours to do an actual preorder though both AT&T and Apple, all I was lucky enough to be able to get was a reservation. That's why I'll be in line at the store at an ungodly hour next Thursday morning.

ETA: Also, the time Fed Ex delivers here varies all over the place. I've gotten stuff as early as 9:30 and as late as 3:30. If I'd been given the choice, I still would have preordered for store pickup so I could have it earlier in the day.

23. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

I have an afternoon meeting that runs from 1-5pm, and lab tests from then till 9pm. UPS and FedEx here usually deliver between 3 and 6pm. So if I want to actually get my phone that day it's pretty much the only way.

And yes, there is actually a "feel" to it. There's a great rush of camaraderie standing in line with a group of people waiting for the phone. Stories are swapped, friends are made...it's a fun atmosphere. And last time the Apple employees worked very well with the crowd, even providing us fresh pretzels and lemonade from Annie's. It's actually quite a bit of fun, even in the frustration of the wait, and the inevitable activation server crashes.

24. itsmequinn macrumors regular

I'm not going to be home and I can't make it to the store till 3 so I res erred it hoping they'll actually hold one for me until then. I guess we'll see.

25. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

You forgot to mention another big reason concerning white iPhones: it still hasn't been confirmed whether Apple Stores will be selling them on launch day. If they do, store pick-up is your only option.