why release ios 5 without a new device too put it on right away?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metzy25, May 27, 2011.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Im one of the posters that thinks there will be a new iphone in june, so too make some people think, why would apple release ios 5 without a new device too show it off on?

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Do Apple update each line of Macs when a new version of OS X is released? Nope, because it's unnecessary.

If it runs perfectly well on the iPhone 4, why release the next iPhone *just because* an new version of iOS is launched? If there's any reasoning behind your thinking, please share. Just sounds like you want something new, because it's new.

You're making it sound like people don't realise that iOS and a new iPhone are launched simultaneously, I think a lot of people - especially Apple enthusiasts - would be able to make that link.

3. iFiend macrumors 65816

The reasoning is that every single major version/revision of iOS has come with new hardware.

The question is what is your reasoning behind your thinking.

4. metzy25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

metzy25

my reasoning is that its been practically the same ios for how many years now and this is a huge change for them, why would they only want too put it on a old device thats 11 months old thats been running on it for that long, no one will think of the ios 5 when they think of the iphone 4

5. jman800 macrumors regular

Um, I assume Apple will do what it always does, release the next iOS when the next Gen iOS device releases. So, preview it this summer, release iPhone in September along with iOS 5.

6. AdrianK, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011

AdrianK macrumors 68020

I referenced that in my post. I meant, what is the reason that we 'need' a new iPhone for iOS. That has not been answered.

I didn't say there would or wouldn't be a new iPhone in June, just questioned OP's reasoning.

Because there's nothing wrong with the iPhone 4...?

I don't get that at all. If I hear '3G S' and an image comes to mind, it's a 3G S with the droplet wallpaper and the reflective Dock, not a black background with a flat Dock.

The 'this summer' preview for iOS 5 will be WWDC June 6-10th. Apple normally releases an iPhone 2/3 weeks after the announcement, not 3 months.

7. Cander macrumors 6502

When did Apple give a release date for iOS 5? Because your post is based nothing more on an asssumption that iOS 5 will be released before iPhone 5.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Exactly. iOS 5 can come out in Sept alongside the iPhone 5.

9. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Honestly there's no doubt that iOS 5 won't be released at WWDC. Developers need time to update their applications and Apple has to go through the same development testing process as always. This is going to be a preview.

It is likely that iOS 5 will be released in September with the iPhone 5, I'd think.

10. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

It's never been 2-3 weeks between the OS preview and the OS/new iPhone release.

iPhone OS 2 Preview - March 6
    iPhone 3G release - July 11

iPhone OS 3 Preview - March 17
    iPhone 3GS release - June 17

iOS 4 Preview - April 8
    iPhone 4 release - June 21

At best time between preview and release is 2.5 months. Previewing iOS 5 in early June and giving devs the beta, then releasing iPhone 5 alongside iOS 5 in September lines up perfectly with previous years.

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Personally, I am more interested in what iOS 5 has to offer. My iPhone 4 works perfectly fine, and I don't plan on upgrading my phone for at least another year.

12. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Who said they were releasing it anytime soon? This could just be a preview and they could launch when new iphone comes out

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

and that will be their plan, just not at WWDC.

[​IMG]

WWDC 2011 has already been promoted as a Preview event for Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5. Next Monday developers will receive a Beta of iOS 5 with a possible release date for Lion, and just like VforVelveta and others have pointed out, in 2.5-3 months from now Apple will release the final version of iOS 5 along side new hardware.

OP, your theory is not wrong, just the timing is.

14. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Exactly. Therefore it makes perfect sense if Apple releases iOS 5 along with the iPhone 5 in September.

15. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

End of thread.

To the OP: so you think Apple will release iOS 5 at WWDC? Then, iOS 5 and its cool new features would have NO APPS that take advantage when launched (since Devs need more than 24 Hours to churn out quality apps).

Just because you wish iOS 5 and iPhone 5 come out in June doesn't make it true. Common sense tells you that Apple is delaying the release of iOS & iPhone (big deal to release a white iPhone just a month ago).

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think it will be announced at WWDC but not released until the new iPhone comes out.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

excellent point. This seals it for me, I am now sure the new iPhone will be released in September or so.... Looking forward to a nice keynote with a preview of Lion and iOS 5 but no hardware.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My prediction is announcement at WWDC of iOS5 and iP5, followed by 3-4 months of threads about how Android is better than the yet-to-be-released Apple software and hardware. Once iOS5 and iP5 are released, that will be followed by 3-4 months of threads about how the next to-be-released version of Android/Samsung are better. :rolleyes:

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Dont forget all of the thread right after iOS 5 gets announced (but not yet released) how "Disappointing this update was" "What would you like iOS 6 be like" and "I waited for this, I'm switching"

20. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Right, Apple already indicated no new hardware at WWDC this year. They will talk about the software, and then we'll get a new iPhone in September.

21. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

They announced iPhone OS 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 all several months before the official launch on a consumer device for the devs to check compatibility and fix bugs that might be caused by updated frameworks etc. No reason for iOS5 to be any difference.

22. Aloha-boy macrumors newbie

Apple could very well demo iOS 5 on an iPhone 4S/5 in an iPhone 4 casing. I'm sure Apple is capable of doing a "fox in sheeps clothing" for WWDC.

23. LoganT macrumors 68020

I wonder if Apple will preview the iPhone 5 at WWDC but not ship until September. Maybe they'll just show us a glimpse. It's not like Apple to announce something and then wait three months to ship it, but Apple surprises us sometimes.

I could also see them dropping the price of the iPhone 4 to 99 dollars at WWDC.

24. iFiend macrumors 65816

This will never happen, the preview of the iPhone 5 or the dropping of the price of the iPhone 4, for 2 reasons.

1. Apple would never show us something that will not be available within a month. This would cut down on iPhone 4 sales dramatically.

2. See #1. Why would Apple discount a product that continues to sell well just because they previewed a new iPhone? They wouldn't.

25. Ashin macrumors 6502a

Ashin

I think most of this is all a curveball.

Steve Jobs must feel pretty embarrassed over the whole iPhone 4 leak, and didn't want another repeat of it.

I think iPhone 5 will be announced, and hope so too, since my contract expires next month so could replace my 3GS with it